PDA

View Full Version : Anomalous motor/generator behaviour ...

DeepCut
12-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Hello.

I have been interested in alternative energy for over a decade now. A few years ago i started learning electronics and experimenting.

My main interest has always been in the humble motor/generator. It's an easy thing to understand and doesn't cost a lot to experiment with.

I then started to hear about motors that accelerate under load, the opposite of what standard motor theory dictates.

I found this very hard to believe as it goes against Lenz's Law and the 1st Law of Thermodynamics (unless you're at the quantum level).

So i joined a few, so-called "free energy" forums back in 2009/2010.

Quite a few people were getting this acceleration-under-load (AUL) effect. One of the first was a guy called Thane Heins, he could get it by redirecting magnetic flux along paths of less reluctance (magnetic resistance), or by using high-impedance coils in the motor/generator.

So i had to give it a go, imagine a motor/generator unhindered by Lenz's Law !

It took me a while to get it but i eventually got there and it really is a remarkable effect.

My generator is giving me something extra though, as well as the rotor speeding up, my current draw is going down, so i output more power while drawing less, definitely not a normal thing ! It's not overunity but i think it has the potential to save energy.

Here is one of my devices that gives rise to the effect, it's a single, quite powerful magnet, being rotated by a small, pulsed coil :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8lI1VvM6Es&list=UUDz1_S1kOhi9nYZB0KV7znA&index=3

Here is another device, a rotor with a dozen magnets, the rotor is driven by a 12V DC motor :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLTcXeLsx3Q&list=UUDz1_S1kOhi9nYZB0KV7znA&index=2

Here is the effect at work in a transformer configuration :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XLXozK8csM&list=UUDz1_S1kOhi9nYZB0KV7znA&index=1

So, when we wind a high-impedance coil (a coil with many turns and high inductance) and use it as a coil in a generator, then ask it to do work by attaching a load like a light-bulb or whatever, it speeds up the rotor. Because it is helping the rotor to accelerate then less power is drawn from the mains.

The key is to run the generator at a high frequency. After about 200Hz the effect kicks in.

There seems to be some debate as to exactly what is going on here.

I know that as you drive an inductor at a higher and higher frequency is begins to behave more and more like a capacitor, storing energy.

It seems that this stored energy, when it is released, accelerates the rotor.

The higher a coil's inductance, the longer the rise-time of the CEMF in the inductor, so perhaps we are delaying Lenz's Law ?

But if we are delaying Lenz's Law, surely we could drive the inductor at too high a frequency and we find Lenz slowing us down, then go a bit higher and it would be assisting us again, depending at what point the stored energy is released ?

It's a very interesting phenomenon so it's the only thing i am working on at the moment, i think it deserves further exploration.

Thoughts/ideas welcome :)

All the best,

DC.

CasperParks
12-10-2012, 11:28 PM
Firm believer in energy independence, looks like you have put a lot of effort into research.

Doc
12-11-2012, 04:54 PM
Are there any mathematical computations that illustrate the amounts of energy involved at different stages? Are there any engineering estimates/predictions about what should be happening versus what is observed?

DeepCut
12-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Thanks Casper and Doc :)

I'm very weak on the maths and i don't have a proper scope yet (using poor man's soundcard scope) so i can only measure using meters.
One of the formulae i use is the time constant formula for the rise time of the CEMF in an inductor, increasing the inductance increases the rise time and some of my coils are more than 20 Henries.

As far as engineering maths, unfortunately this effect seems to be linked to parasitic capacitance. I think this is proved by winding a bifilar coil, i got a near 400% increase in the effect when compared to a straight-wound coil.

Unfortunately parasitic capacitance is something that is always 'designed out' because it introduces unwanted noise to the system.

Perhaps that's why the effect isn't widely known.

I'm going to be hard at it over the next few weeks (until Santa gets in the way !) and i hope that it gets more interesting.

All the best,

DC.

DeepCut
12-23-2012, 02:17 AM
So, the ultimate goal with a setup like this, is to have a coil that, when short-circuited or loaded, gives rise to such a strong presentation of the acceleration effect, that it accelerates the rotor beyond it's maximum speed when there is no coil present.

Bearing in mind that when we say coil, we mean a coil of wire around a metal core. A large lump of metal that, in standard motor-generator theory, will always slow down a rotating magnet due to the attraction between them.

But here we have an effect that does the opposite, giving us more spin with less current draw, while powering the load.

If the effect was small then additional coil/core assemblies would add more drag - more lumps of metal sitting around the rotating magnet.

But if the effect is large, large enough to overcome the attraction of the magnet to the core, then we have something useable.

In this optimistic mood i made that 0.5mm coil that pushed the endcap off, that performed very badly, there was slight acceleration under SC but standard generator action when applied to a load.

This failed because too much current was flowing in relation to the rise-time being retarded, if you're going to have large, useable current, you need many, many turns of that wire. I calculated that the coils Thane was using were about 9LB's of wire, these new ones i'm testing are 2LB's.

So the next coil i tried was a kilo of 0.4mm wire, all it's properties are in the infobox of the video here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj9GJ-BlfiM

It's an unavoidable conclusion that more turns means more effect.

Also, it does seem that longer, narrower coils are better. This bears out with reading about high frequency inductor design.

Drunk and rambling :)

DC.

CasperParks
12-23-2012, 04:52 AM
There was rumor running around, before the internet.

In short:

Tesla had invented something that a household could stick in their backyards. I could be wrong here, seems like it was five foot tall and about the circumference of a telephone pole. It was able to draw energy from the magnetic field and power the home. Then comes the conspiracy stuff, the powers that be did not like the idea of people having free energy and shut him down.

Have you ever heard of this?

:confused:

majicbar
12-23-2012, 11:37 AM
Yes, and the two who shut him down were his investors, George Westinghouse and J.P. Morgan. With so much clearly going to profit them from the powerplants and the electrical grid, they saw Tesla as a fool who would block their profiteering; some of the original Powers That Be.

DeepCut
01-04-2013, 08:13 PM
Yes. And then Morgan made sure that we were taught only half of the magnetic equations, paying a mathematician to rewrite what was to be taught at school.

Bankers, ruining our lives before we were even born !

DC.

DeepCut
01-06-2013, 06:59 PM
Just spent 2 hours trying to fix what is now an unfixeable coil/core assembly :(

45 quids worth of wire and loads of time all gone in the spare-wire bin now :

The road to success is paved with swearing and wall-punching ;+}

DC.

DeepCut
04-24-2013, 11:59 PM
Hi,

sorry it's been a while, my youtube channel is closed and my photobucket account has been hacked.

Hopefully i can tell you more about this story one day, right now it's not convenient, nothing mysterious, just not convenient.

I tested a new coil recently with good results.

Just to recap, i have been replicating the work of Thane Heins for a couple of years now.

In a standard generator, when we attach a load to the generator's output, a light-bulb or whatever, more input power is needed to keep up the rotational speed of the generator in order to keep the same supply to the load.

With Thane's setup, when we apply a load, the generator speeds up, and the input current goes down.

This is the complete inverse of standard motor/generator theory and the reason why i have been exploring this effect for so long. It's the only free-energy claim i have tested that works on the bench.

There are many people who say that the effect isn't useful.

Some said it was a peculiarity of the AC induction motor that Thane used to drive his rotor.

I then did a replication with a DC motor to discount this possibility.

Some said it was remanent magnetism in the core of the coil.

I've now got the effect in a coil without a core, an air-cored coil, thus discounting remanent magnetism.

Jean-Louis Naudin was surprised that i got this effect in an air-core, and is now doing his own testing. I can't wait to see what he does with his greater knowledge and much sexier hardware !

In addition to getting this effect with no core, i've now arrived at a personal milestone with my experiemnts involving this effect.

Imagine a simple generator, a spinning disc with its attached magnets and some copper coils under the disk.

As the disc spins, the magnets induce a voltage potential in the copper coils.

But, as soon as we attach a load, we now not only have voltage potential in the coils but we have current.

This current gives rise to a magnetic field in the coil that opposes the face of the magnet that induced the current in the first place, thus slowing down the rotor.

This is Lenz's Law :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenz%27s_law

The interesting (and exploitable) aspect of Lenz's Law is this :

The time it takes for the opposing magnetic field to develop is finite, it is on the order of milliseconds or fractions of milliseconds depending on just two variables :

1. The DC resistance of the coil (R).
2. The inductance of the coil (L).

This time is called the rise-time or the time-constant (TC) of the coil (inductor).

The actual formula is :

TC = L/R

So, if the time taken for this opposing magnetic field is dependent on the inductance being divided by the resistance, then we need only increase the coils inductance in order to retard (delay) the rise of the opposing magnetic field.

How do you increase the inductance of a coil ?

The inductance is primarily dependent upon the number of turns in the coil.

Secondarily, the inductance is further changed by the physical dimensions of the coil.

Short, fat coils will have a higher inductance than long, thin coils made from the same length of wire.

So i spent two years winding coils, taking meaurements, making guesses, rewinding coils, retesting bla bla bla ...

This new coil does something phenomenal.

It is three pounds of 0.4mm wire and has an inductance of 1.2 Henrys with no core and 4.3 Henrys with the core inserted.

Its resistance is 166 Ohms, therefore its TC is (4.3/166)*1000 = 26ms.

In a normal generator, with each coil that is added, the generator slows down more because the metallic core of each coil is attracted to the magnets on the rotor, so more coils = more drag.

So, the holy grail of generators (for us alternative energy people), is to have a coil that accelerates the rotor, it delays the opposing magnetic field for so long that, instead of pushing away at incoming magnets and slowing the rotor down, it pushes away at outgoing magnets and speeds the rotor up, seemples !

I am now half way there !

I've gone from coils that slow down the rotor, but speed it up a little when they are loaded, to this new coil that speeds the rotor back up to its full speed when loaded, so you are powering a load with no change in rotor speed and no increase in input current :)

I hope i don't sound too smug but i'm really bloody pleased :)

This would seem to violate the work-energy principle, producing energy with no degrading effect on the system or required increase of input power.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/work.html

I am in constant communication with Thane. Whenever i was feeling low he would encourage me a little, not telling me too much due to his intellectual property rights. I'm now in constant comms with Jean-Louis, who felt that Thane's effect must have some conventional explanation, until i showed him the acceleration with the aircore coil.

Thane won't tell me everything but he gives helpful pointers, he has also shown me documents (which i cannot share, i am truly sorry) that prove the effect is extremely interesting to very large corporations and defence establishments.

So he won't give me the fish but he is slowly showing me how to fish ;+}

The next step is to add another pound of wire to the coil and see if it can 'overspeed' the rotor. This means a coil that, when under the rotor and shorted or loaded, accelerates the rotor beyond the speed it could reach with no coil assembly present.

Thane is obviously a lot further down the line with the development of this effect. He has spent ten years or more and hundreds od thousands of dollars.

I have spent two years and a few thousand pounds.

I would really appreciate some inpout from people who are trained physicists or electrical engineers to see what their thoughts are on this effect.

One theory is that it is to do with capacitance.

As we drive an inductor at higher and higher frequencies it starts to behave more like a capacitor (storing energy in its electrostatic field) than an inductor (storing energy in its magnetic field).

Parasitic capacitance is an effect we have been 'designing out' of inductors for years because it introduces unwanted noise into the system.

Perhaps we've been suppressing something, for all this time, that could actually be useful ?

All questions/criticisms/comments gratefully recieved.

Cheers for reading,

DC.

CasperParks
05-05-2013, 07:41 PM
If you create a new youtube account, please post or send me the link.

Thanks.

Doc
05-05-2013, 10:11 PM
DeepCut: I missed your 4-24-13 post until just now. Very interesting indeed. Please keep us posted.