PDA

View Full Version : Russian scientists discover unidentified bacteria in sub-glacial Lake Vostok

zooky
03-07-2013, 11:51 AM
Russian researchers have found previously-unknown bacteria in waters of the unique sub-glacial Lake Vostok, isolated by 4km-thick layer of ice for around the past 20 million years. Now it could offer an incredible insight into our planet’s past.

http://rt.com/news/lake-vostok-russia-bacteria-944/

zooky
03-07-2013, 12:01 PM
“The last analysis was completed a week ago - there will be another, but the results are unlikely to change anything. After exclusion of all known contaminants - extraneous organisms - bacterial DNA was detected, which does not coincide with any of the known species in the world,”

zooky
03-07-2013, 02:27 PM
The question on my mind, is the bacteria part of the Phylogenetic tree or a separate tree?

CasperParks
03-07-2013, 04:46 PM
Sounds like the start of a film, scientists bring an ancient bacteria to the surface and wipes out half of humanity.

whoknows
03-07-2013, 05:37 PM
Sounds like the start of a film, scientists bring an ancient bacteria to the surface and wipes out half of humanity.

I think disease has always been the greatest danger to humankind and I think what you have suggested has always been on the scientist minds.

I know there had been a discussion with the Russian scientist early about contamination, With the implication the fear of contamination of the samples. Where I think the real fear was the contamination of people…

I think they will find viruses too. Whether they reveal that info is another matter. Imagine the weaponization of an unknown virus?