PDA

View Full Version : Practice Photos of Airborne objects

calikid
09-18-2013, 07:38 PM
If I ever encounter a UFO, I'd probably whip out my Cell phone and use the onboard camera system.

Figure to get a couple of practice shots in, and post them up here.

If anyone can make suggestions for improvement, I'd like to hear them.

My Phone has a 5megapixal camera and video system, with a 4x digital zoom.

I encourage others to snap a shot or two with the camera you are most likely to use to capture an unknown. Start with an IFO. Improve the odds should a UFO cross your path.

calikid
09-18-2013, 07:39 PM
Practice pic1
Hot air ballon, about 1 city block away, photo taken early morning hours with me facing the east (sunrise is low and behind the object).
Camera is set to max zoom (digital 4x).

calikid
09-18-2013, 07:43 PM
Practice pic2

This one is tougher to see.
The horizontal lines are the same power lines seen in the hot air balloon photo (pic1), but without the power pole reference.
It was taken facing North, I added the arrow later.
At the time, it was obviously a commercial airliner, but the distance and elevation were unknown (estimate a mile up, and 2-3miles out).
It was small, about pinky fingernail sized to my untrained eye (a dime held up at arms length would have blocked it from view).

If someone came to you with this as an unknown, would you be able to ID it as an airliner? What can I do, as the man in the street, to improve the odds of a successful examination?

Marvin
09-24-2013, 04:58 PM
Due to the amount of variables involved, this is an extremely complicated subject. Unfortunately, real world situations usually do not allow all people to have the knowledge, the perfect conditions or the equipment to best photograph an object in the sky. Throw in the short amount of time to react to the situation, the excitement during the experience… therefore, having actual UFO photos is a rare event.

We should all be more knowledgeable with our digital cameras. You mentioned your camera has a 4X digital zoom. It is important to understand the difference between optical zoom and digital zoom.

Optical zoom is when a camera uses the optics to “zoom in” or enlarge an object being photographed. Therefore optical zoom give one the ability to enlarge an object will out losing clarity or sharpness (within the limits of the optics).

Digital zoom is a process where the image is digitally enlarged and cropped. There usually is a loss if image quality with digital zooms (loss of resolution).

Examples:

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff290/instantmartians/1GC60.jpg http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff290/instantmartians/2GC60.jpg

.....................Optical Zoom.............................................. .....Digital Zoom.............................

M

CasperParks
09-24-2013, 07:44 PM
Due to the amount of variables involved, this is an extremely complicated subject. Unfortunately, real world situations usually do not allow all people to have the knowledge, the perfect conditions or the equipment to best photograph an object in the sky. Throw in the short amount of time to react to the situation, the excitement during the experience… therefore, having actual UFO photos is a rare event.

We should all be more knowledgeable with our digital cameras. You mentioned your camera has a 4X digital zoom. It is important to understand the difference between optical zoom and digital zoom.

Optical zoom is when a camera uses the optics to “zoom in” or enlarge an object being photographed. Therefore optical zoom give one the ability to enlarge an object will out losing clarity or sharpness (within the limits of the optics).

Digital zoom is a process where the image is digitally enlarged and cropped. There usually is a loss if image quality with digital zooms (loss of resolution).

Examples:

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff290/instantmartians/1GC60.jpg http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff290/instantmartians/2GC60.jpg

.....................Optical Zoom.............................................. .....Digital Zoom.............................

M

Marvin,

Thanks for the heads-up on the difference.

calikid
09-24-2013, 08:22 PM
Early morning hours, glow of pre-sunrise can be seen in the treeline.
4x digital zoom.
An airliner with blinking lights.
Cropped and arrow added later.

calikid
09-24-2013, 08:25 PM
This is a flock of blackbirds flying a few hundred feet away.
Sadly, I had my camera out because two F16's from the nearby ANG were doing a tight turn and burn right in front of me, but by the time I unlocked my cell phone and loaded the camera app, the only thing left of them was a loud roar, and they disappeared into the distance. :(

So, there I was, camera app at the ready, as the birds flew by....
Just an FYI, that is a VERY large flag, whose dimensions could be obtained.
I imagine a good way to determine size and distance on an unknown.

Sunny early afternoon hours, facing west.
4x digital zoom
Cropped and arrows added.

calikid
09-24-2013, 08:28 PM

Examples:

<snip>

M

OK, so maybe I will try again WITHOUT the benefit of digital zoom... thanks for the suggestion Marvin.
Or maybe I discount my cell phone as a realistic tool, and start carrying a "real" camera around?!?! Something with better OPTICAL zoom features. But the thought of running to the car to fetch the camera while hoping the object hangs around, puts a damper on that idea.

I must say, did NOT think it would be so HARD to get a clearly detailed photo. I am SO glad these were not earth shaking images, proof positive of ET tech/life, that left me frustrated because I could not capture a decent image...

Have to see if I can make the time to go down to the local air terminal and hang out at the end of the run way to capture a few aircraft on approach/takeoff. Maybe closer proximity and less digital zoom will yield better results.

calikid
09-24-2013, 08:57 PM
This thread has me thinking back to the California Drone days.

This photo allegedly taken with a cell phone, by Chad's wife (http://droneteam.com/mediawiki/index.php/File:Picture020.jpg).
Seems WAY to good to be true, when compared with my attempts.
And this was with cell phone camera tech from a few years back.

The type of thing I hope to one day catch, but I'm not seeing the technical ability to reproduce the results.... at least not with a cell phone camera.
A bit off topic, but IMO another point for the "drones were a fraud" viewpoint.

Marvin
09-26-2013, 05:24 PM
OK, so maybe I will try again WITHOUT the benefit of digital zoom... thanks for the suggestion Marvin.

Or maybe I discount my cell phone as a realistic tool, and start carrying a "real" camera around?!?! Something with better OPTICAL zoom features. But the thought of running to the car to fetch the camera while hoping the object hangs around, puts a damper on that idea.

I must say, did NOT think it would be so HARD to get a clearly detailed photo. I am SO glad these were not earth shaking images, proof positive of ET tech/life, that left me frustrated because I could not capture a decent image...

Have to see if I can make the time to go down to the local air terminal and hang out at the end of the run way to capture a few aircraft on approach/takeoff. Maybe closer proximity and less digital zoom will yield better results.

Cell and Smart Phones are putting camera companies out of business. I think cameras will survive this trend, but there will be fewer of them and they will tend to be “higher end” equipment.

There is some impressive camera technology going into phones. Since the everyday person will likely be depending on their phone as their camera… the bulk of the UFO photo will be taken by them.

My concern is that what maybe optimal for taking the best photos may not meet the need for speedy reaction times especially when you have to get the camera ready then add manual focus (which can give you a clearer photo than auto focus). You will likely need to make some compromises along the way since a speedy setup will tend to not give you the highest quality photos, and high quality equipment can give you detailed photos of an empty sky. ;)

M

earthman
09-27-2013, 12:44 AM
After the other nights boomerang incident, any tips for the best shots. I will be using a tripod, set on continuous for the shutter. Auto on. Will use manual focus. Now, it's a Nikon D-60 18/55mm lens. Should I zoom to 55mm or backed off to the 18mm ? When I do astrophotography I use manual settings so I can do long exposers and ISO on a high 800 or 1600 ISO. Any idea's??

earthman

earthman
09-27-2013, 12:47 AM
O, if your not familiar with the boomerang incident from the other night, look at "Denver UFO" .

earthman

epo333
09-27-2013, 12:56 AM
O, if your not familiar with the boomerang incident from the other night, look at "Denver UFO" .

earthman

Here is that link to "UFO-over-Denver"

http://www.theoutpostforum.com/tof/showthread.php?1451-UFO-over-Denver

I can't advise you on the camera settings I'm just a point -N- shoot guy...lol

earthman
09-27-2013, 01:35 AM
Lol. I'm going to practice on planes after it gets dark in a bit. Moving target and lights. I checked out ufo stalker, it has my report and there was a report out of Colorado Springs around 4 hours earlier to. Seems I was alone. They didn't say boomerang shaped but I did see the smaller one an hour after the big one. It fit that one. A friend told me a bit ago that it was "An Alien Tour Bus, An now were are over the city of Denver, see the silly humans." lol.

earthman

earthman
09-27-2013, 07:03 AM
Well, I think it's easier with a cell phone then my D-60. It works great for astrophotography. Did a few shots of the stars. But that's with long exposers. I tried on a plane and of course it's a streak. So I tried faster exposers and it isn't worth crap. Got a few good star shots though. But these kind of camera's just don't work that well at night trying to take shots of planes for a test. A video camera is probably the best way at night for a ufo shot I think. I'll post the pic's I did in the morning, have to down load them on the laptop first. I'm just going to watch the night sky for a while tonight, fresh coffee brewing, lol. After see that huge boomerang ship the other night I can't wait to stay out there for a while tonight. Had a long talk with the Colorado mufon director tonight that was inlighting on ufo's here. I guess I wasn't the only one that seen it. Said I had a good chance of seeing it again tonight. Been happening for a while I guess.

earthman

calikid
09-27-2013, 12:30 PM
E.,
Sounds like you had the camera out during the second sighting on the following evening. Did you manage to snap any pics? Understand you said "moving fast" but maybe you caught the tailend/exhaust pipe?

As for the nighttime shots. Did you try shorter exposure times with larger aperature setting? Should improve brightness without streaking... and I think Marvin's point about Zoom settings had more to do with digital vs optical zoom.
With your optical zoom you can zoom in close without fear of pixilation.

Marvin
09-27-2013, 01:04 PM
The behavior of the Denver craft reminds me of the 2000 Southern Illinois case:

http://www.ufoevidence.org/cases/case277.htm

http://www.ufoevidence.org/topics/illinoissighting.htm

http://www.examiner.com/article/new-witness-surfaces-illinois-ufo-case-from-january-2000

M

earthman
09-28-2013, 03:06 AM
108210831084I didn't have the camera out for the second one because it just will not get a good shot. I tried on planes and had no luck. I even tried it with the iso set at 1600, f/3.5 55mm 1/5 sec shutter set on continuous shooting. One a tripod. But here is what I got for ya. Some examples of planes in a long exposer set up I used my astrophotography shots. I don't have a tracking mount for the camera so I am limited on exposer time for star shots. 108210831084

The first one is a plane, if you zoom in and look you can see the alternating lights and it goes through. The setting were, 55mm zoomed, f/5.6, ten second exposer at 800 iso.

The second one is another plane. The one was set at 55mm, f/5.6, 3 second exposer at 1600 iso.

And the last one is a one shot none processed shot of IC-349 the Pleiades Star Cluster, with power lines running through the shot, lol. That was set at 55mm same f/ stop and 1600 iso but `10 second exposer.

earthman

calikid
09-28-2013, 05:03 PM
I hear you.
It is difficult to end up with anything but "lights in the sky" when shooting at night.
Simply lacking in features detail at any major distances.
To bad we can't get a REALLY bright flash attachment.

Recall someone mentioning IR/FLIR. Wonder if that or night vision (star light amplifier) would be a benefit in capturing greater detail at night?

earthman
09-28-2013, 06:50 PM
Love to have one. FLIR would be great. I would head to the foot hills and set up . Can see the whole city.

earthman
09-29-2013, 04:39 AM
I guess MUFON is coming Monday to interview me about the sighting. I'll see if they got one. This Colorado guys might have some neat goodies to try out. I'll man them all night for a week and see what happens.

earthman

CasperParks
09-29-2013, 07:37 AM
I guess MUFON is coming Monday to interview me about the sighting. I'll see if they got one. This Colorado guys might have some neat goodies to try out. I'll man them all night for a week and see what happens.

earthman

Coming to interview you for sighting? That is cool...

earthman
09-30-2013, 05:39 PM
Yea, MUFON should be here shortly. Two are coming. I'll let ya know what they have to say.

earthman