PDA

View Full Version : The Hackers Who Recovered NASA’s Lost Luna Photos

Doc
04-28-2014, 10:29 PM
This is a great article and and example of what motivated and committed people can do. Please read the whole article and see all of the pictures at: http://www.wired.com/2014/04/lost-lunar-photos-recovered-by-great-feats-of-hackerdom-developed-at-a-mcdonalds/

http://www.wired.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/earthrise.l.w-e1398204534682.jpg

Earthrise over the Moon as seen by Lunar Orbiter 1 on August 24, 1966

There is a great deal more information and many pics at the link above.

atmjjc
04-29-2014, 03:47 AM
Great article Doc. I like the pirate flag they have hanging in their window in the video.

WIRED is a great magazine. I am a happy subscriber to it for many years and just received the latest copy which I pulled from my mailbox and put it on my table right b4 I tuned in to the forum and low and behold, you’re posting from WIRED.

I noticed one of their ads from the link that they are having a promotion for 6 months for $5 which is a good price. WIRED magazine almost never disappoint.

In perspective, those videos and pictures were taken roughly 50 years ago and just a year after Kennedy was assassinated and the Vietnam conflict was starting to escalate and a decade b4 Steve Jobs started his Apple computer business from his garage and a personal computer and a cell phone was still science fiction.

How fast human minds have assimilated from riding horseback as our main type of transportation to supersonic flight to walking on the moon.

Wonderful times we live in.

Doc
04-29-2014, 05:51 AM
Great article Doc. I like the pirate flag they have hanging in their window in the video.

WIRED is a great magazine. I am a happy subscriber to it for many years and just received the latest copy which I pulled from my mailbox and put it on my table right b4 I tuned in to the forum and low and behold, you’re posting from WIRED.

I noticed one of their ads from the link that they are having a promotion for 6 months for $5 which is a good price. WIRED magazine almost never disappoint.

In perspective, those videos and pictures were taken roughly 50 years ago and just a year after Kennedy was assassinated and the Vietnam conflict was starting to escalate and a decade b4 Steve Jobs started his Apple computer business from his garage and a personal computer and a cell phone was still science fiction.

How fast human minds have assimilated from riding horseback as our main type of transportation to supersonic flight to walking on the moon.

Wonderful times we live in.

I remember those refrigerator-sized computer storage consoles from back in the day. My father was responsible for converting over to computers for the company he worked for and I got to visit the computer room, which was temperature controlled and the technicians wore masks and lab coats. Amazing old stuff!

CasperParks
04-29-2014, 06:11 AM
I remember those refrigerator-sized computer storage consoles from back in the day. My father was responsible for converting over to computers for the company he worked for and I got to visit the computer room, which was temperature controlled and the technicians wore masks and lab coats. Amazing old stuff!

Those are some old computers. Reel to reel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awc6dm_kvV8

Doc
04-29-2014, 04:04 PM
I remember seeing those reels turn, stop, reverse direction. It would be years later that I would have any understanding of memory storage or any of the engineering solutions that were being developed at an unbelievable speed. I was a young kid back then but I could see we were in an age of marvels and that there were people who could make machines that did things I didn't even know existed! So, when debunkers talk about the physical limitations of say, going to the stars, I don't accept that the limitations are a problem. Most likely, somewhere, some clever person is already working on the second generation of whatever solved that problem.

majicbar
04-29-2014, 09:23 PM
Reading the article it is amazing that so much information has been gathered from this early program. Pile upon that all the other missions since, there is so much information that one could not possibly find normal sized artifacts that may exist. It remains open that such artifacts exist, there is a lot of Moon to be explored.