PDA

View Full Version : Yosemite Drones

Doc
05-03-2014, 03:18 PM
It is partly ironic, partly what would one would expect but suddenly drones are making news in a mundane way--they've gone from incredible mystery to mild annoyance in our daily lives if the stories are accurate. For all who followed the Drone Saga, and there are many, seeing these new drone stories and pictures featured prominenty on Bing and in all the MSM news outlets must be vindication of sorts:

Washington (http://www.forbes.com/washington)

|

5/03/2014 @ 3:40AM |2,590 views

Yosemite Looks To Ban Drones By Relying On An Absurd Legal Arggument

Yosemite National Park released a statement yesterday claiming that drone use is illegal in the park. However, the regulation they cited doesn’t speak to the use of drones or any other model aircraft for that matter. (https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=http%3A%2F%2Fonforb.es%2F1i3UiqN&text=Yosemite%20National%20Park%20is%20looking%20t o%20ban%20drones%2C%20but%20the%20law%20is%20not%2 0on%20their%20side) A park press release stated:
the use of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (Drones) are prohibited within park boundaries due to regulations outlined in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). Specifically, the use of drones within the park boundaries is illegal under all circumstances. Thirty Six CFR 2.17(a)(3) states, “delivering or retrieving a person or object by parachute, helicopter, or other airborne means, except in emergencies involving public safety or serious property loss, or pursuant to the terms and conditions of a permit” is illegal. This applies to drones of all shapes and sizes.

Read the rest here at Forbes or just go to Bing and find links all over the news about these "nuisance" drones:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregorymcneal/2014/05/03/yosemite-looks-to-ban-drones-but-the-law-is-not-on-their-side/

majicbar
05-04-2014, 12:21 AM
It goes way, way beyond The National Park Service and Yosemite. The CBS Evening news May 3, 2014 had a segment that covered the angst of the FAA in their regulation of drones nationwide. Current regulations limit drone flights to ceilings of no more than 400 feet in altitude, and can not be operated for commercial purposes. Television stations have begun using them in seeming conflict with commercial applications. New more detailed regulations are slated to be proposed by the end of the year. Public comments may yet sway the extent of those regulations, butthe possible use of drones for terrorist attacks are a concern which will not be easy to answer.

Then again I seem to recall one of the California Drones was reported to be in Yosemite on the Earthfiles reports of other sightings, hhmmm.

Doc
05-04-2014, 01:29 AM
It goes way, way beyond The National Park Service and Yosemite. The CBS Evening news May 3, 2014 had a segment that covered the angst of the FAA in their regulation of drones nationwide. Current regulations limit drone flights to ceilings of no more than 400 feet in altitude, and can not be operated for commercial purposes. Television stations have begun using them in seeming conflict with commercial applications. New more detailed regulations are slated to be proposed by the end of the year. Public comments may yet sway the extent of those regulations, butthe possible use of drones for terrorist attacks are a concern which will not be easy to answer.

Then again I seem to recall one of the California Drones was reported to be in Yosemite on the Earthfiles reports of other sightings, hhmmm.

I was fairly sure I remembered a link between "drones" and "Yosemite" from the Drone Saga of fond memory. Maybe some of the drone people will see this and chime in with some of what they remember.

majicbar
05-04-2014, 02:46 AM
I was fairly sure I remembered a link between "drones" and "Yosemite" from the Drone Saga of fond memory. Maybe some of the drone people will see this and chime in with some of what they remember.

As I recall that report the lady said it was a "drone" of the "Chad type", she pointed it out to a park ranger who shrugged it off like it was nothing new or unusual. Could it be that some black project from the bay area was being tested in Yosemite before becoming operational. The supposed backstory from "Issac" was that such a craft was being backengineered by a company that he was working for. Both Boeing and Northrup have bay area operations, Lockheed is not that far away either. Lockheed set up a dummy company to form the titanium parts for the A-11/Blackbird and that helped to hide its production at Skunkworks. If those California Drones were backengineered by us they probably were projects from the bay area.