PDA

View Full Version : U.S. cyber-espionage charges against five Chinese military officials

calikid
05-19-2014, 04:03 PM
Are these Cyber-war crimes?
The guys will probably get a medal from their government.
IMO, no chance of extradition. What is the point?

Administration: China cited in cyber-spying case

Attorney General Eric Holder says Chinese military officials hacked into six U.S. nuclear power, metals and solar products industries.

Holder says the companies affected are Alcoa World Alumina, Westinghouse Electric Co., Allegheny Technologies, U.S. Steel Corp., United Steelworkers Union, and SolarWorld.

The charges contained in a federal indictment are the first U.S. cyber-espionage charges against state actors. The hackers are accused of stealing trade secrets and economic espionageThe United States has brought first-of-its kind cyber-espionage charges against five Chinese military officials accused of hacking into U.S. companies to gain trade secrets.

According to the indictment, hackers targeted the U.S. nuclear power, metals and solar products industries. The hackers are accused of stealing trade secrets and economic espionage. And the alleged victims are brand-name companies including Alcoa and Westinghouse.
Story Continues (http://news.yahoo.com/administration-china-cited-cyber-spying-case-135714902--politics.html)

whoknows
05-19-2014, 06:36 PM
I just have to laugh about "news items" like this... I mean what is the point really!

Could there be that many people in the world naive enough to believe that all governments with any technical expertise are not doing the exact same thing?

Cough us cough.

majicbar
05-20-2014, 12:02 AM
I just have to laugh about "news items" like this... I mean what is the point really!

Could there be that many people in the world naive enough to believe that all governments with any technical expertise are not doing the exact same thing?

Cough us cough.Perhaps it is a subtle point but there is a difference between the countries in what they spy on and what they do with that knowledge. A country might spy for knowledge of anothers intent and policy direction. China apparently chose to steal trade secrets with the intent of using that knowledge to improve it's own technology and stealing the plans, pricing and customer lists from competitors to gain economic advantage. Genrally spying is a bad practice that brings out the worst in any country that practices it.

atmjjc
06-27-2014, 03:13 PM
If anyone cares to see a map of cyber attacks in real time than click on the link below.

http://map.ipviking.com/