PDA

View Full Version : Air Force UFO files hit the web

WildMage
01-18-2015, 06:49 PM
Air Force UFO files hit the web

The truth is out there — and it's now on the web.

The fabled Project Blue Book, the Air Force's files on UFO sightings and investigations, have tantalized and frustrated extraterrestrial enthusiasts for decades. But this week, nearly 130,000 pages of declassified UFO records — a trove that would make Agent Fox Mulder's mouth water — hit the web.

UFO enthusiast John Greenewald has spent nearly two decades filing Freedom of Information Act requests for the government's files on UFOs and other phenomena. On Jan. 12, Greenewald posted the Blue Book files — as well as files on Blue Book's 1940s-era predecessors, Project Sign and Project Grudge — on his online database, The Black Vault.

Project Blue Book was based at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio. Between 1947 and 1969, the Air Force recorded 12,618 sightings of strange phenomena -- 701 of which remain "unidentified."

According to a 1985 fact sheet from Wright-Patterson, posted online by the National Archives, the Air Force decided to discontinue UFO investigations after concluding that "no UFO reported, investigated and evaluated by the Air Force has ever given any indication of threat to our national security [and] there has been no evidence indicating that sightings categorized as 'unidentified' are extraterrestrial vehicles." Wright-Patterson also said the Air Force has not seen any evidence suggesting the sightings "represent technological developments or principles beyond the range of present-day scientific knowledge."

http://www.airforcetimes.com/story/military/tech/2015/01/17/air-force-ufo-files/21812539/

calikid
01-19-2015, 12:41 AM
Air Force UFO files hit the web

The truth is out there — and it's now on the web.

The fabled Project Blue Book, the Air Force's files on UFO sightings and investigations, have tantalized and frustrated extraterrestrial enthusiasts for decades. But this week, nearly 130,000 pages of declassified UFO records — a trove that would make Agent Fox Mulder's mouth water — hit the web.

UFO enthusiast John Greenewald has spent nearly two decades filing Freedom of Information Act requests for the government's files on UFOs and other phenomena. On Jan. 12, Greenewald posted the Blue Book files — as well as files on Blue Book's 1940s-era predecessors, Project Sign and Project Grudge — on his online database, The Black Vault.

Project Blue Book was based at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio. Between 1947 and 1969, the Air Force recorded 12,618 sightings of strange phenomena -- 701 of which remain "unidentified."

According to a 1985 fact sheet from Wright-Patterson, posted online by the National Archives, the Air Force decided to discontinue UFO investigations after concluding that "no UFO reported, investigated and evaluated by the Air Force has ever given any indication of threat to our national security [and] there has been no evidence indicating that sightings categorized as 'unidentified' are extraterrestrial vehicles." Wright-Patterson also said the Air Force has not seen any evidence suggesting the sightings "represent technological developments or principles beyond the range of present-day scientific knowledge."

http://www.airforcetimes.com/story/military/tech/2015/01/17/air-force-ufo-files/21812539/
I wonder if these are
the pre-sanitized version?
The ones where ALL the witness names have been removed.

Many years ago (20 years?) USAF announced the original reports would no longer be available.

CasperParks
01-19-2015, 12:49 AM
130,000 pages is a lot of material.

majicbar
01-19-2015, 10:53 AM
I wonder if these are
the pre-sanitized version?
The ones where ALL the witness names have been removed.

Many years ago (20 years?) USAF announced the original reports would no longer be available.

These are only the Blue Book files, those of little probative value. The important cases were transferred to Fort Belvior where a special UFO units, 1127th AISS and the 4602, took the reports and investigated them, and which had nothing to do with Blue Book. There will be nothing of value in these files, it is just another waste of investigators time and delays any real disclosure.

http://www.nicap.org/brief1127.htm

newyorklily
01-19-2015, 02:27 PM
There might not be anything of value in the files but, what is of immense value is that "USA Today" has picked it up. I'm reading that it has already gone viral on the internet. If this article is in their hardcopy as well, that's a large amount of circulation. Many people who never heard of Project Blue Book will now know that this was a government project and cover-up.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

majicbar
01-19-2015, 03:27 PM
There might not be anything of value in the files but, what is of immense value is that "USA Today" has picked it up. I'm reading that it has already gone viral on the internet. If this article is in their hardcopy as well, that's a large amount of circulation. Many people who never heard of Project Blue Book will now know that this was a government project and cover-up.

Maybe we can leverage this to get them to release the files that the 1127th and the 4602 were given to study.

calikid
01-19-2015, 04:02 PM
I'm having issues with TheBlackVault.com website.

Says I don't have an account, and yet I have downloaded files in the past AND regularly receive the newsletter.
OK, so I register again, NO confirmation email (with link) received.
Guessing the website is blowing up....

Anyone else gain access and actually SEE the Blue Book files?
Are the 130,000 pages up yet? Downloadable?

newyorklily
01-20-2015, 12:00 AM
MUFON's Roger Marsh just posted on FB that he was interviewed by USA Today about the files. The interview will be in Tuesday's newspaper (hardcopy).

newyorklily
01-20-2015, 12:02 AM
It probably has nothing to do with it but, I find it interesting that Tuesday is also the State of the Union Address. :) One can always hope.

calikid
01-20-2015, 03:33 PM
I'm having issues with TheBlackVault.com website.

Says I don't have an account, and yet I have downloaded files in the past AND regularly receive the newsletter.
OK, so I register again, NO confirmation email (with link) received.
Guessing the website is blowing up....

Anyone else gain access and actually SEE the Blue Book files?
Are the 130,000 pages up yet? Downloadable?

My "new" membership email confirmation (for TheBlackVault.com) came through a few hours later.

Found the 130,000 searchable document is online.

Welcome to the Project Blue Book Collection

This site was created by The Black Vault to house 129,491 pages, comprising of more than 10,000 cases of the Project Blue Book, Project Sign and Project Grudge files declassifed. Project Blue Book (along with Sign and Grudge) was the name that was given to the official investigation by the United States military to determine what the Unidentified Flying Object (UFO) phenomena was. It lasted from 1947 - 1969. Below you will find the case files compiled for research, and available free to download.

See it here (http://projectbluebook.theblackvault.com/). Not sure, you may need to login as a member first.

Add note: After reviewing a few of the reports (PDF Format), it appears they all indeed have the witness names redacted.
Funny even well know cases, like the Kenneth Arnold sighting at Mr Rainer, are only listed by location and date.
1947-06-9668731-Mt-Rainer-Washington.pdf

CasperParks
01-20-2015, 11:21 PM
They only list reports through the 1960s. Was hoping to see if the report I made in 1971 was listed.

calikid
01-21-2015, 01:49 PM
They only list reports through the 1960s. Was hoping to see if the report I made in 1971 was listed.

As I recall, Blue Book was terminated December 1969.

majicbar
01-21-2015, 11:24 PM
As I recall, Blue Book was terminated December 1969.

The National Archives states that; "On December 17, 1969, the Secretary of the Air Force announced the termination of Project BLUE BOOK, the Air Force program for the investigation of UFOS.

From 1947 to 1969, a total of 12, 618 sightings were reported to Project BLUE BOOK. Of these 701 remain "Unidentified." The project was headquartered at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, whose personnel no longer receive, document or investigate UFO reports."

http://www.archives.gov/foia/ufos.html

So, CasperParks who did you make your report to? The National Archives states that today one is directed to make reports to the civilian sector. In 1971 was this true, or did the USAF take the report and direct it to Fort Belvoir? Was it a high strangeness case that would have interested a real UFO investigation?

calikid
01-22-2015, 12:08 AM
Not to answer for Casper, his experience is probably different.

It's been a few years since I did any field work (but it was 21st century).
The last witness interviews I conducted led me to interview city police emergency services about the witness phone call/report.
Their standard response was "We instruct all callers to contact the FAA".
Basically the police refused to take a report.
I don't recall the FAA response, but the witnesses then tried to contact MUFON and had a less than satisfying experience.
From there they posted video footage (of a Triangle craft) to YouTube, which led me to contact them for a detailed report.

newyorklily
01-22-2015, 12:46 AM
I think most sightings in 1971 went to NICAP or a local, citizen based group.

newyorklily
01-22-2015, 12:57 AM
Add note: After reviewing a few of the reports (PDF Format), it appears they all indeed have the witness names redacted.
Funny even well know cases, like the Kenneth Arnold sighting at Mr Rainer, are only listed by location and date.
1947-06-9668731-Mt-Rainer-Washington.pdf

One of the controversies surrounding this is that some researchers are finding redactions in the BV files that weren't redacted in the original Blue Book files.

Some researchers are saying that Greenwald lied about the documents in order to help his website get attention. He also allegedly said that he hacked into Fold3 (which is owned by ancestry.com) in order to get the files.

This is becoming very messy and making UFO research look bad.

majicbar
01-22-2015, 01:04 AM
Not to answer for Casper, his experience is probably different.

It's been a few years since I did any field work (but it was 21st century).
The last witness interviews I conducted led me to interview city police emergency services about the witness phone call/report.
Their standard response was "We instruct all callers to contact the FAA".
Basically the police refused to take a report.
I don't recall the FAA response, but the witnesses then tried to contact MUFON and had a less than satisfying experience.
From there they posted video footage (of a Triangle craft) to YouTube, which led me to contact them for a detailed report.

There is supposed to be some memo that has been given to police dispatchers, perhaps from Homeland Security, the FAA or the USAF, that all UFO sightings are supposed to be reported to the "National UFO Reporting Center", this according to several policemen who have called into George Noory's, Coast to Coast AM show. It would be nice to have some uniformity in reporting, so that it collects a good sample of what is happening out there in our skies.

CasperParks
01-22-2015, 01:16 AM
I recall the first one at the lake was not reported until my second sighting. When the report was filed of my field sighting, the one at the lake was included. An army office arrived, driving a green standard army four door sedan. The stare he gave me from a distance could have been, "why did I drive out here for this - or I've got better things to do than this".

Posted 06/24/2012 Encounters: (http://www.theoutpostforum.com/tof/showthread.php?725-Summer-camp-encounter-age-14-in-1971)

1971, life was simpler. 14 years old at the time, I was working at a summer camp, one night four of us trekked down to the lake. The calm was unusual, the lake clear as glass. It was warm, so we decided to take a dip. The lake sat in a basin, half surrounded by steep hills.

Across the lake, from above a blueberry farm darted a hazy orange glow, accented by at its edges by a hazy white. Egg-shaped, that was larger than a regular pick-up, smaller than a semi-length with height equal to the latter.

The craft zipped at a high speed across the lake, right near where we stood on the dock. Close enough to throw a rock at, it hooved above lily pads near shore at less than eight feet above the water. Stunned, we stood there, mouths gapping open. 15 to 30 seconds it hovered. Once our feet started moving along the dock toward shore, the craft shot upward along the hillside behind us, barely above the tree-line.

We took off after it, running full tilt up a damp clay path, leaning forward to keep our balances. Of course, it was long gone before we reached the hayfield that double as our athletic field. Being a Christian camp, born-again… Discussions followed for the remained of that week between staff members.

A couple weeks later, I was standing in the hayfield, gazing skyward. Looked at my cheap watch and noted the time, 12:20AM. It had been a long tiring day, with another one to follow and loving it, loving life, there was no other place greater.

Then, suddenly the orange glow had returned hovering above the winding road that led into the 80 acre property. Then zip, it shot at an angle upward, paused briefly near the ionosphere as if looking back down on me.

I glimpsed at my watch, 3:17AM. Time had vanished, and realized I was not standing in the same spot at 3 hours earlier. I stood several yards to the right of where I was. There was a peace within, not to worry and everything will work itself-out.

Reported it to the two Collage age counselors and other JC with me the week prior, also to the Camp Director again. This time it was only me, no other witnesses. Camp Director insisted, “If you really saw it, then you have to report it. Do you want to report it?” I was adamant, “I saw it!”

One of my responsibilities, help with the canoeing craft time for campers. Lunch was approaching, so dragged the canoes onto the beach and headed up the hill. Parked near the flagpole at the dining hall was an army green sedan. An officer was talking to older staff members, when a camper pointed at me and yelled, “There he is!”

The Army Officer tossed me a nasty glare, then he left before I reached the top of the steep hill. The glare seemed to say a number of things. We know who you are. Second, asked an accusing why you? What are you up to?

Camper Director told us, “They said it was an experimental helicopter.”

One of the College age counselors from the first sighting replied, “Yeah right, a helicopter that makes no noise and makes no wind.”

calikid
01-22-2015, 03:25 PM
I attended a Stanton Friedman lecture many years ago, at the local university (my Alma mater).
One question he ask us (the audience) was, "Has anyone here read the entire Blue Book report?"
When no one raised a hand he said "Nobody? That is because the entire report has never been released. Only selected bits and pieces."

Cannot help but wonder if this 130,000 pages release finally represents the entire report.

calikid
01-22-2015, 03:34 PM
One of the controversies surrounding this is that some researchers are finding redactions in the BV files that weren't redacted in the original Blue Book files.

<snip>

I do recall a public announcement about Project Blue Book was made, sometime in the late 1990s, that all witness names would be removed from future releases.
So, all prior releases do indeed contain witness names.
And subsequent releases of the same information do NOT contain that information.
The announcement stated "in the interest of witness privacy" and went on to say that researchers should be able to conduct their studies without that information.

If you can find OLD releases, and they do exist in private archives, the names are still available.
Just not from the USAF.

majicbar
01-22-2015, 06:12 PM
I recall the first one at the lake was not reported until my second sighting. When the report was filed of my field sighting, the one at the lake was included. An army office arrived, driving a green standard army four door sedan. The stare he gave me from a distance could have been, "why did I drive out here for this - or I've got better things to do than this".The Army had no authority to be investigating UFO reports, how is it that they became involved? Was the Army Officer perhaps really adjunct to the CIA ?

CasperParks
01-23-2015, 12:16 AM
The Army had no authority to be investigating UFO reports, how is it that they became involved? Was the Army Officer perhaps really adjunct to the CIA ?

I have no idea why army. He was wearing a dress green officer's uniform. The car was army green sedan. Do not know what his rank was. His uniform did not have any type of rank on the selves or shoulder arm. I was not near enough to see any type of rank on his lapels. Did not notice any thing on his dress-hat. The car had no markings, but it was clearly military issue.

This was in Allegan county, roughly ten to twenty miles as the crow flies from Lake Michigan. I did not know it at the time, but SW Michigan is known for UFO sightings.

newyorklily
01-23-2015, 12:58 AM
Army and Air Force used to be together as one branch of the Armed Forces. Perhaps they overlapped even longer when it came to UFO investigations.

majicbar
01-23-2015, 05:53 AM
Army and Air Force used to be together as one branch of the Armed Forces. Perhaps they overlapped even longer when it came to UFO investigations.

Everything that I have ever read is that the services when they had the great shake up in 1947 separating the Army and Army Air Force broke cleanly and completely. What I have also read is that there were dual allegiance officers who while assigned to one of the DOD's services were actually serving the CIA at the same time, sometimes on book with the service and sometimes forced to retire ten work for the CIA.. Study how Gary Powers went from the USAF to the CIA and you will see what I mean. The Blue book reports that I have heard about were only done by the USAF. There does seem to have been a separate program where there were also Army and Navy investigations when involving their own service members. Some mentions of these instances were made in the Condon study of UFOs. There also seems to have been some investigations by men in suits, maybe still in service, notably the "Men in Black."

majicbar
01-23-2015, 09:14 AM
I have here a breakout of the Canadian portion of the report. I had to adjust for the Canadian areas being in square kilometers in order to integrate it in the future into the data from the U.S. observations. One can see that Ontario and British Columbia have an abundance of reports. The East Coast provinces have a relatively low reporting of sightings despite their higher population density. Correcting for the vast nothingness of the Northwest provinces we find that they are actually reporting a relatively larger rate of sightings despite their low population density. Were the UFOs uniformly distributed to investigate the land area, there would be a low reportage in the Northwest, not a high relative rate of sightings. We therefore can believe that the UFOs either want to be seen or they do not care and are specifically are observing the human population, and that that explains the observations.

Provence Population Density Density Rank UFO Report Normalized UFO Report Normalized Ranking

Prince Edward Isld. .............63.86........................1....... ..............23.......................0.36....... ..........................13 .

Nova Scotia........................45.10............... .........2...................172.................. .....3.81..................................12 .
Ontario ..............................36.64 .......................3 ................1841.....................50.56.... ...............................4 .

New Brunswick....................27.26................ ........4...................146................... ....5.36..................................11 .

Quebec...............................15.09........ ................5...................314........... ..........20.81................................... 9 .

Alberta................................14.75...... .................6...................406.......... ...........27.53.................................. ..8 .

British Columbia...................12.35.................. .....7...................920...................... 74.49...................................3 .

Manitoba...............................5.67....... ................8...................181........... ...........31.92.................................. .7 .

Saskatchewan........................4.55.......... .............9...................161.............. ........35.39...................................6 .

Newfoundland - Lab................3.60......................10... .................33.......................9.17.... ..............................10 .

Yukon....................................0.18..... .................11....................7.......... ............38.89................................. ...5 .

Northwest Territory.................0.90.................... ..12...................23....................255.5 6....................................2 .

Nunavut.................................0.04...... ...............13...................14............ .........350.00................................... 1 .

calikid
01-23-2015, 03:28 PM
CNN's story on the release:

Air Force UFO files land on Internet

By Emanuella Grinberg, CNN

It's enough to make Mulder and Scully seethe with envy.

Nearly 130,000 pages of declassified Air Force files on UFO investigations and sightings are now available in one place online.

Declassified government records about UFOs have long existed on microfilm in the National Archives in Washington, DC. Many of them also live on websites devoted to the topic, sometimes free, sometimes not.

But UFO enthusiast John Greenewald says his database, Project Blue Book Collection, is the first to compile every single declassified document from the Blue Book project -- headquartered at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio from 1947 to 1969 -- in one place for anyone to search or download for free.

The collection consists of files from Project Blue Book, Project Sign and Project Grudge, the names given to official investigations into unidentified flying objects by the United States military.

Greenewald's efforts are not motivated by a close encounter or personal experience with unidentified flying objects. He says he's just driven by curiosity.

"I'm a history buff. I think this stuff should be accessible," he said. "Secrets are not bad things; I think we should know about this and it should be in history books."

Greenewald started requesting information related to Project Blue Book through the Freedom of Information Act 15 years ago. His interest was piqued by the first case he received information on about a 1970 UFO incident in Iran, after Project Blue Book ended.

"It defied explanation," he said, "and 5,000 FOIAs later my curiosity hasn't gone away."

The collection contains 10,000 PDFs, each representing a different case. The files include the details of some of the most famous UFO cases, including the Exeter incident, the Kenneth Arnold sighting and the Mantell crash.

Still, Greenewald believes the contents are "just the tip of the iceberg."
Story Continues (http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/20/us/feat-air-force-ufo-project-blue-book/index.html)

Garuda
01-23-2015, 06:12 PM
The Army had no authority to be investigating UFO reports, how is it that they became involved? Was the Army Officer perhaps really adjunct to the CIA ?

I'm trying to recall how this worked. If I remember correctly, UFO reports were shared with the Army so they could then do a military threat assessment.

CasperParks
01-23-2015, 08:24 PM
I'm trying to recall how this worked. If I remember correctly, UFO reports were shared with the Army so they could then do a military threat assessment.

That does make sense.

I looked it up, there is an Army Reserve in Grand Rapids, several army reserved training centers near Kalamazoo and Air National Guard in Battle Creek. It is possible he had simply put on an army uniform. In reality, he could have been attached to another agency. The report was taken seriously. He drove to the camp, spoke with the director and two collage age counselors. His claim "It was an experimental helicopter" likely a canned response.

epo333
01-24-2015, 02:49 AM
This youtube seems to cover many points discussed here. A bit unusual but there just the same!

A short, under 10 minutes; this account is from 'Harley Byrd':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=84503534&x-yt-ts=1421914688&v=Jfvq-3ay4ng

calikid
01-25-2015, 12:54 AM
This youtube seems to cover many points discussed here. A bit unusual but there just the same!

A short, under 10 minutes; this account is from 'Harley Byrd':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=84503534&x-yt-ts=1421914688&v=Jfvq-3ay4ng
And Thor became discouraged and went back to Venus?
Oh boy. Hard to take serious.

newyorklily
01-30-2015, 04:46 AM
John Greenewald has taken down the. Project Blue Book documents. According to a post he made on his. Black Vault website, Ancestry.com and Fold3 are claiming to be the sole copyright holders of the documents.

http://projectbluebook.theblackvault.com

Strange, I didn't think Federal documents could be copyrighted.

pontificator
01-30-2015, 05:33 AM

You are correct: http://www.usa.gov/copyright.shtml
Furthermore they are not subject to the Berne Convention of 1988, the Wiki article does some further explaining: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_status_of_work_by_the_U.S._government#De rvative_works_after_the_Berne_Convention_Implement ation_Act_of_1988
I also point you to this bit in particular: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_status_of_work_by_the_U.S._government#De rivative_works_consisting_predominantly_of_governm ent_works

So, Fold3 and Ancestry.com have, in my opinion, knowingly made a False DCMA request over a work for which they cannot possibly hold copyright, nor for which copyright is applicable.
This, however, has never been tested in a court of law; as no-one has been able to afford to mount a legal challenge in such cases. I personally feel that Fold3 and Ancestry.com could blaze the way into the abyss if someone takes this case up.

CasperParks
01-30-2015, 01:47 PM
John Greenewald has taken down the. Project Blue Book documents. According to a post he made on his. Black Vault website, Ancestry.com and Fold3 are claiming to be the sole copyright holders of the documents.

St....

calikid
01-30-2015, 03:07 PM

Two other sites are claiming rights, under the DMCA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act), and forced Mr. John Greenewald to remove the material.

IMO it is very wrong for a private company to claim information generated by public funds (ie My US Tax dollars/USAF) should be reserved for profit. :mad:
It is one thing to write a book (copyrighted) that includes the information, but also provides insights and opinions on the subject. But the raw material should remain public domain.

I was systematically saving each individual report for personal use/research.
Unfortunately, the only way was to open each report and save to local hard drive, a time consuming process. Sadly, I only got through the 1940's, and was about to begin saving the 1950 reports and then onto the 1960s.
Figured about a month to copy the entire archive.

I had discussed the possibilities of bulk downloads with Mr. John Greenewald, he said "not available at this time".
To bad. :p

Who knows?
Maybe someone else managed to D/L the entire archive and we will see it posted to torrents.
Good luck (NOT) to those private companies whistling it back from TPB, if it ever hits the proxy links.

calikid
01-30-2015, 03:17 PM
John Greenewald, Jr. of The Black Vault said (http://projectbluebook.theblackvault.com/):

<snip>
But, call it corporate greed, a legal loophole, or a grey area in the copyright law, all of that is gone in the name of getting your personal information, and your credit card, by a corporation that has a wallet much thicker than mine. I’ll let you decide what the right label is to put on this entire mess.

Does all of this upset you? Me too! And I invite you to express your thoughts to Ancestry.com, Fold3, and anyone else you’d like to express your disappointment:

Fold3
355 South 520 West
Suite 250
Lindon, UT 84042
Ph 1-800-613-0181
support@fold3.com

Ancestry Inc. Corporate Headquarters
360 West 4800 North
Provo, UT 84604
Ph 801-705-7000
Fx 801-705-7001
support@ancestry.com

Drop these guys a complaint note, if you agree they have done a disservice to public information.

majicbar
01-31-2015, 04:13 AM
Two other sites are claiming rights, under the DMCA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act), and forced Mr. John Greenewald to remove the material.

IMO it is very wrong for a private company to claim information generated by public funds (ie My US Tax dollars/USAF) should be reserved for profit. :mad:
It is one thing to write a book (copyrighted) that includes the information, but also provides insights and opinions on the subject. But the raw material should remain public domain.

Unfortunately, the only way was to open each report and save to local hard drive, a time consuming process. Sadly, I only got through the 1940's, and was about to begin saving the 1950 reports and then onto the 1960s.

I had discussed the possibilities of bulk downloads with Mr. John Greenewald, he said "not available at this time".

Who knows?
Maybe someone else managed to D/L the entire archive and we will see it posted to torrents.
Good luck (NOT) to those private companies whistling it back from TPB, if it ever hits the proxy links.

It seems to me that an able prosecutor would be able to charge Ancestry.com and Fold3 with theft. Their claim, assuming that it is false on it's face, amounts to unlawfully holding public property that is not it's own, which is theft. I have no problem with claims under the DMCA when that property is the from the rightful ownership of the claimant. But I see this as theft, and as a wrongful act they should be subject to both criminal and civil sanction. As such, someone should file a complaint of theft with some willing police jurisdiction.

CasperParks
01-31-2015, 04:51 AM
It seems to me that an able prosecutor would be able to charge Ancestry.com and Fold3 with theft. Their claim, assuming that it is false on it's face, amounts to unlawfully holding public property that is not it's own, which is theft. I have no problem with claims under the DMCA when that property is the from the rightful ownership of the claimant. But I see this as theft, and as a wrongful act they should be subject to both criminal and civil sanction. As such, someone should file a complaint of theft with some willing police jurisdiction.

Opinion: I doubt their copyright claim would hold-up in court. There are a number of governmental employees who wrote reports on investigations. I think the reports fall under "free domain". If a company published it, adding additional research and notations - that version would belong to that company or persons. However, the primary manuscript would remain public domain.

John Smith published the report, with his comments per each report. His book would have copyrights.

Jane Doe published the report with her comments and study guides. There is not a thing that John Smith could do about, so long as Jane Doe did not plagiarise his comments.

Passage of time, King Jame Bible at this point is free domain. The Living Bible, a paraphrased version is not. The original manuscripts written in Greek and Hebrew are public domain, any new translation New American Standard for example would have copyrights for their version of the translations.

This could easily end-up in court. If it does, I believe major media outlets would ignore the hearings.

calikid
01-31-2015, 06:19 PM
The legal case (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgeman_Art_Library_v._Corel_Corp.) of Bridgeman Art Library vs. Corel Corp. would seem to apply.

A copyright claim was dismissed because ORIGINALITY was lacking.
The public document (photo in this case) contained no new information, so the court found the case did not meet the criteria for copyright.

southerncross
02-19-2015, 03:51 PM
This page has a transcription of some of the pages from Project Aquarius. 1953-1981. 16 volumes

Easier to read. Photostats are in bad shape.

https://www.earthfiles.com/news.php?ID=2283&category=Science

xDhirax
04-07-2015, 10:08 AM
Amazing how most of that ^ corroborates with the Serpo files ....

Fore
04-07-2015, 01:18 PM

Who knows?
Good luck (NOT) to those private companies whistling it back from TPB, if it ever hits the proxy links.Ah, you should have let me know about it back then, would have saved the entire thing, even if it might have involved a complicated access routine.

Just for future reference (and this should be posted in a dedicated resource thread) if you add any URL to the end of this URL, the internet archive will automatically crawl it "on the spot demand". It won't crawl any pages linked to the page like the main crawling thread, but it will make a snapshot of a single page instance.

After a few hours the crawler will then re-link (properly) any series of pages that were directly crawled.

I have used it recently to make a copy of a forum.

==================

https://web.archive.org/save/

For example, if you wanted to save this page it would be:

https://web.archive.org/save/http://www.theoutpostforum.com/tof/showthread.php?1927-Air-Force-UFO-files-hit-the-web/page4

==================

You can add as many as you want (literally thousands of requests), as it will time stamp each version at the time it received the URL from you. It will take about 24 hours for the internet archive software to re-index all the submitted (grabbed) pages against other pages. It might also look a bit weird until the 24 hours has passed.

Each grabbed page will be an "island" on its own until 24 hours have passed and then it will find logical connections between pages and make it cohesive again. It's important to keep that in mind as it is not the same as submitting a general site and then waiting until one of the main crawlers gets to it someday.

If you want to see what versions there are of any specific address at the internet archive you can look it up by using this format:

https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.theoutpostforum.com/*

Hope it helps the next time you see something worth grabbing.