PDA

View Full Version : UFO San Diego 2015 - One Of The Best Ever

epo333
05-02-2015, 01:34 PM
This was featured in SO's 3MIN NEWS today... Added here for Discussion...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuw2xpFfJwc

Garuda
05-02-2015, 01:38 PM
You beat me to it... :)

I had just posted it in the three minute news.

So it's a sighting from San Diego California.

I'm not too clear whether it's from April 30, or May 1st.

Garuda
05-02-2015, 01:41 PM
OK, so apparently this happened on the 29th of April.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Mysterious-Lights-Spotted-Above-San-Diego-301729021.html

Garuda
05-02-2015, 01:45 PM
More footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1h0eOZ4BXA

And it's also featured on OpenMinds:

http://www.openminds.tv/nbc-7-san-diego-releases-ufo-video/33342

Chris
05-02-2015, 02:26 PM
Very odd shape to it. And it appears to be HUGE!

calikid
05-02-2015, 04:46 PM
I count 9 red upper lights, and 10 bluish/white lower lights.
Wonder if speed is real time?
Maybe blink rate could be a clue of origins.

Does appear asymmetrical.
All the points appear fixed/motionless.

I'm not clear on if the lights might be outlining something or if there's empty space between. (Grainy film/my tiny phone screen).

Wonder what the tower directly below on the ground, with the red aircraft avoidance light, is? Somehow related?

newyorklily
05-02-2015, 05:37 PM
I'm wondering what the flashing light is. The first thing that comes to mind is the flashing light is part of a helicopter (it seems to be hovering) and the other lights could be flares of a military training exercise.

newyorklily
05-02-2015, 06:12 PM
I'm wondering what the flashing light is. The first thing that comes to mind is the flashing light is part of a helicopter (it seems to be hovering) and the other lights could be flares of a military training exercise.

I just looked at another video and I'm ruling out flares because there seems to be no movement at all. Wind speed after dark was around 5 mph. If they were flares, balloons or sky lanterns, there should have been some movement with the wind.

http://classic.wunderground.com/history/airport/KSAN/2015/4/29/DailyHistory.html?

epo333
05-02-2015, 09:42 PM
I'm not saying this ain't a UFO, but in an effort to look for explanations, try this.

If the video were shot at night on a body water, then nautical lights could be involved. Either straight on or maybe reflected off a port hole(window) while shooting the shore say on the starboard side, while a tug passes on the port side, and reflecting its lights...????

Here are some nautical lights at night and other patterns...

Of coarse marine lights are always RED GREEN or WHITE in various configurations for many different applications.

May not be this at all...!!!

newyorklily
05-02-2015, 11:59 PM
This is MUFON's image analyst Marc Dantonio's explanation for it. This is his answers to my posts on the New York MUFON Facebook Group.

Marc Dantonio (https://www.facebook.com/marc.dantonio.7?fref=ufi): Hi Lillian... Lee Speigel, Alejandro and myself worked on an article describing this sighting. I asked for the TV crews location and they wouldn't tell us. That was a bit strange to us. Then the sighting the crew claimed that you see in that video is NOT what other people were reporting.
Still I analyzed the video and Alejandro and I both felt that this was likely a simple internal lens reflection that the crew either knew was a simple reflection and ran with or didn't know somehow (inexperienced camera guy?).

Bottom line was these appear to be ground objects reflected in the lens to our eye. But the caviat was that the ground objects were not in shot and were just out of shot and reflected in as is typical for these types of things near the edge of the lens field.

Note the red blinking light on the ground and the other one in the sky? Clearly they are related to the same type of object: a tower or tank nearby.
But as Alejandro and I noted the blink rate is different indicating that the tower we see in reflection is probably just out shot to the right side.

Having the location though for this news feed would have told us exactly which tower it was and given us the proof. Without it this is just our opinion... smile emoticon

One reason I felt they wanted to be cagey about WHERE they shot this footage was because it appears to have been shot on the OTHER SIDE of the border fence south of San Ysidro! If so they weren't supposed to be there. I matched border fence images to this fence crossing the video frames and it is similar but NOT identical.

So lots of thoughts and reporters that won't play nice with us

Lillian, Larry Fox didnt take the video. The News 7 news crew took the footage down in San Ysidro. Larry Fox is just one of those guys who takes a video and re-digests it and presents his point of view.

The actual video footage is only 27 seconds or so long and just shows the ground lights and the reflection in the sky and alternates between the two twice.
As I mentioned in my previous post above the lights in the sky that are reflected in the lens are likely out of shot to the right in my opinion and are reflected in at the edge of the lens. This is quite common with lenses. The lens barrel and glass catch more light than can get directly to the sensor so there what are called "baffles", little black rings, inside lenses to combat exactly this problem. Sometimes it's not enough and in this case the light came in at the right angle to cause an internal reflection of lights off to the side. Don't forget, the lens glass can see a lot more lights from ground objects than can ever reach the sensor and make it into the final image. That's why I said all that I said.
These reflections are called "stray light reflections" or "internal lens reflection" and as I said above earlier, without the News7 crew providing us with the location of their stock footage shoot I cannot confirm where any of the ground lights are at this point. But ground lights we think they are most certainly. There is a 1:1 correlation between the blink RATE of the red light on the
ground and the one in the sky. They are not SYNCED though because as I said above they are out of the shot and reflected into the field most likely from the right side of the shot.

To answer your other question, no Lee and Alejandro are not analysts working for MUFON but Alejandro is a TV guy with much camera experience and he thought these were internal reflections as well because he has seen this type of thing in his professional travels. I have seen it many times too since I have been taking imagery professionally of the sky for many years.

So once I DO identify the location I will be able to correlate the lights including the strobe ...

I agree the sighting is strange but I really think at this point that it is an internal lens reflection. Again keep in mind that this video is NOT the video associated with the actual San Diego UFO report. This video usurped the actual UFO report and was just taken by reporters who admitted that the other UFO sighting didn't include lights in this arrangement at all.

majicbar
05-03-2015, 01:10 AM
My god, if this is the quality of MUFON investigation they need better investigators. "Bottom line was these appear to be ground objects reflected in the lens to our eye." B.S. This is clearly a mirage phenomena. This is San Diego. San Diego has diurnal flows of oceanic air and land heated airs and the conflict of those flows can cause mirages. The images are ground objects but they are being reflected in the sky toward the camera lens, not inside the camera lens. While living in Richfield we would occasionally see the lights and gas flaring of the Pine Bend refinery reflected in mirages in just the right atmospheric conditions. Getting things wrong in this way make us look like fools, we know that there is real phenomena out there, but this is not related to UFOs in my experience.

calikid
05-03-2015, 01:24 AM
I am not clear on provenance.
Who shot the original footage?
Did they state they saw objects in the sky?

Were these (audio) just a couple of guys reviewing submitted video, doing their best interpretation?

calikid
05-03-2015, 01:27 AM
If this was not video of the actual sighting, does such evidence exist?

Lee
05-03-2015, 11:47 AM
It looks to me like a reflection of ground objects too, maybe the footage was filmed through glass and the reflected lights were behind the camera? Or do we have any witnesses who saw something in the sky?

Garuda
05-03-2015, 01:09 PM
From what I read thus far, there were multiple witness reports, but what the witnesses described would not match what is shown in that video.

So it would seem that the TV crew indeed tried to pull a fast one.

Sigh...

newyorklily
05-03-2015, 01:23 PM
This is from Alejandro Rojas's article. http://www.openminds.tv/ufo-photo-captured-over-san-diego/33320

UFO photo captured over San Diego

Posted by: Alejandro Rojas (http://www.openminds.tv/author/alejandro) April 29, 2015 12 Comments (http://www.openminds.tv/ufo-photo-captured-over-san-diego/33320#comments) 6,135 Views

Several San Diego residents reported spotting mysterious lights on Tuesday night, and one witness was able to snap a picture.
According to NBC 7 San Diego (http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Mysterious-Lights-Spotted-Above-San-Diego-301729021.html), viewer Larry Fox sent them a picture of an odd light he spotted in the night sky. NBC 7 described the picture as “a string of multicolored lights.”
Fox reported that he was in his backyard when he saw the strange light to the southwest. He says he ruled out a drone or a plane because the light was stationary.
“It was a series of flashing lights,” he told NBC 7. “If it was a plane, it would have moved.”
NBC 7 reported that Fox described the lights as “red, blue and green,” and that the lights “kept flashing and changing colors.”

Apparently, Fox was not the only one to see the lights. NBC 7 says they heard from several other viewers who saw them, and even one of their own photographers says he saw the lights.
Although the image shows what appears to be multiple lights, or one long illuminated streak, it is very similar to pictures of a single point of light that looks like it is moving due to camera shake. At night cameras will keep the aperture open longer in order to capture more light. If the camera is moved during this time, the image will create a motion blur effect.
Often bright stars are photographed and mistaken as UFOs due to this effect.
As for the colors, stars will often look like they blink and change colors due to the atmosphere, and if the star is closer to the horizon, then there is more atmosphere to look through, and in a big city, there is also pollution.