PDA

View Full Version : Buying a brand new car

nibs
01-03-2012, 01:32 AM
Ok, so I've been contemplating the purchase of a brand new car. I recently made the trip to about 8 dealerships only to laugh the whole way home. :biggrin2: It's like going to a zoo.

So I found this article and it's hilarious!! However I'm only at page 7 so far...

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/confessions-of-a-car-salesman.html

Enjoy that :bleh:

Toyota was the most pressure and the worst- but seem to have the best car for MPG (Prius) for a reasonable buck. Around 48 average.

Ok, So there's the new Mitsubishi iMiev coming very soon. Some serious drawbacks in that theres really nowhere to charge the thing up. Pure electric and something like 63 miles on a charge.
I love the Chevy Volt 112 mpc plus a hybrid so you can still travel great distances.. only starting out around $46000> wowser...
Not to exclude the new Nissan Leaf with darn good MP>charge but again- pure elec- where you gonna charge up?

Anyway curious of others thoughts on dealing with the "enemy" at the car lots.. Read that article- it's hilarious.... My sincere apologies to any car salesman posting here.. :angel_not:

Nighthawk
01-03-2012, 02:54 AM
Nibs, are you familer with the Tesla Model S Coupe? It's a 7 seat monster for around the same price I think as the ones you mentioned above. 300 miles per charge also: http://www.teslamotors.com/models

nibs
01-03-2012, 04:50 AM
Nibs, are you familer with the Tesla Model S Coupe? It's a 7 seat monster for around the same price I think as the ones you mentioned above. 300 miles per charge also: http://www.teslamotors.com/models

I'm completely unfamiliar with this sweet little ride. Looks interesting at first glance.

I don't know man. Maybe I listen to - too much Coast 2 Coast radio (like every program) ... Thing is- I don't see fuel costs ever getting any less. Hell , NJ as of Jan 1 basically just doubled all the toll road fees. I have not had a pay raise in like 4 1/2 years.. The new promotion so I hear is to have a job....

I rebuilt several Honda crx's from the 80's but none of them got the 57 mpg that was advertised. Not one. I don't know man, we have fight back some how...

I'll explore your tesla tomorrow. Thanks for putting it out here...

rdunk
01-03-2012, 05:33 PM
Hey nibs! If you would consider a more standard non-hybrid - we are driving our third Volkswagen Jetta turbo diesel, with the current being a 2010 Jetta Sport Wagen. These have been excellent cars for us, and the Sport Wagen is the best. Plenty of room inside, and it is hard to believe how much power these cars have, with such a small engine. That turbo really does it! It has "160" mph as top speed on speedometer - I can't vouch for that though. They have been very dependable cars for us!

While mpg is significantly relative to driving speed, with any vehicle, we get about 40 mpg average. They are certified as "clean diesel" autos.

Nighthawk
01-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Nibs, with one of these cars it would be possible to hook up another battery(for an extra few g'$) to the existing one and you would have like 600 miles before needing to charge again! You could even have one charge the other with a dynamo and it wouldn't run out.

I'm sure we will see all of this type of stuff come out in the next few years regardless. ;)

murmur
01-03-2012, 10:11 PM
I worked in the car biz for 13 years

free advice

buy toyota

the prirus will not be discounted

Eric
01-04-2012, 04:43 AM
Hybrids have horrible resale value since people do not want to change the batteries. Just another thing to note. The TDI VW's are great cars.
You drive in the snow much? I have a friend with a Prius and it shuts off if you spin the tires...pretty much says your are stuck deal with it.

Eric
01-04-2012, 04:46 AM
Oh and to get a better price, work two different dealers against each other and let them know that you are going to the other dealer for their best price.

nibs
01-05-2012, 03:39 AM
Ok Nighthawk- the Tesla is very cool but somewhat controversial as are most of these cars.. I like what they are putting out though. Little pricy though- for what I'm looking for.. Adding additional battery's?? umm looks good on paper until you get to the $$ spent verses what my needs are.

Love the idea though :biggrin2:

Hey nibs! If you would consider a more standard non-hybrid - we are driving our third Volkswagen Jetta turbo diesel, with the current being a 2010 Jetta Sport Wagen. These have been excellent cars for us, and the Sport Wagen is the best. Plenty of room inside, and it is hard to believe how much power these cars have, with such a small engine. That turbo really does it! It has "160" mph as top speed on speedometer - I can't vouch for that though. They have been very dependable cars for us!

While mpg is significantly relative to driving speed, with any vehicle, we get about 40 mpg average. They are certified as "clean diesel" autos.

In the running for sure!! Our friends just bought one of these and they are quite nice! I love the way that word reads, "Turbo" + decent MPG..

Also love your avatar- Pretty "deep"! Likely one of the best pics ever taken! For sure!:das

I worked in the car biz for 13 years

free advice

buy toyota

the prirus will not be discounted

13 years?? say it isn't so.. :bleh: go figur dat one! You are a great sales person Mur. You generally get behind the facts and that helps. As for discounts, not sure but your likely right. Gonna take some time and poke around the Prius boards.. like this one: http://priuschat.com/forums/knowledge-base-articles-discussion/15427-discounted-toyota-prius-extended-warranty-service.html

and see what makes sense. Man I really like the idea of over 50 mpg.. without a 47000 buy in...

Hybrids have horrible resale value since people do not want to change the batteries. Just another thing to note. The TDI VW's are great cars.
You drive in the snow much? I have a friend with a Prius and it shuts off if you spin the tires...pretty much says your are stuck deal with it.

Yea, the VW especially a Turbo version sounds good... hmm
Prius and snow-no- have a 4wd with a plow for that so not a problem.

And yes to pit dealers 1 against another has to be part of the playbook.!

------------------------

Oh and in small print here: Andy lives on.. heh.. Not you Mur.. :bleh:

rdunk
01-05-2012, 03:56 AM
Hey nibs, if you get serious about a VW, I can give you the phone number/email address for someone with a dealership that does all of their on-line selling. He pretty much is their high volume sales person. He is great to work with, and he will work a good price. I did buy from him face to face.

Let me know if you need the info. My guess is with him you likely won't need competing dealerships, but it never hurts to get a second sales offer.

rdunk
01-05-2012, 04:15 AM
Nibs - "Also love your avatar- Pretty "deep"! Likely one of the best pics ever taken! For sure!"
.................................................. ..................
nibs, that is the first comment I have received on my avatar. Probably not everyone recognizes, as you did, that it is a screenshot from the Hubble Ultra Deep Field. Both of the Deep Fields just blow me away. There is just no way for us to actually comprehend the "immensity of infinity", as it is displayed in the Universe "spacial speck" of the Hubble Deep Fields - seeing out to a "radius distance" of about 13 billion light years, so far. I just say WOW!! :ufo:

Dood
01-06-2012, 01:19 PM
In my opinion....
The 'Camry Hybrid' (http://www.toyota.com/camry/) is the best for your dollar.
(High 30mpg and you can get it into the 40's if you drive it correctly...Like using the 'B Gear', etc)

The Prius has better MPG but, the Camry is a LOT more comfortable and is pretty darn quick off the line.
One thing about a Hybrid like a Camry is the Electric Engine has zero lag with it comes to torque.
It will GO!

You do lose some trunk space.
That is a given but, it is roomy (Interior) and a LOT more comfortable then the Prius.
Not to mention it is a LOT faster when needed.
The interior of the Camry is the very similar space as my Buick Park Avenue.
When I tell people that they do not believe me but it is true.
My 07 XLE Camry is actually a tad bigger on the inside then the Park Ave due to it's Rear Reclining Seats.

EDIT: I purchased GM for 35+ years. They finally ticked me off enough to look elsewhere with their shoddy Fit & Finish and silly dumb repairs that never should have happened.
(Like the Pass-Through Key System' they use to have. I ended up having to replace the whole darn thing for $900.00 just to START my car up again.
And to top it off it was never a viable Security Device to begin with)
That was just ONE dumb ridiculous repair out of MANY.
I am not talking about Brakes, Oil Changes, Struts, etc...That goes with any vehicle.

When I was shopping I wanted another Buick. A LeSabre Limited again. With the 3.8L engine.
To me that is the best 'overall engine' GM ever built.
And they KILLED that even....:rolleyes:
They killed the LeSabre along with the Century and the Park Ave.
So I looked at the Camry which to me is the Buick Century that should of been.
(The Avalon is more like the LeSabre and the Park Ave)

I have had no real complaints with the Camry. The Service Department where I take my car has been outstanding.
I know this depends on where you live but for me I have been very fortunate.
I even take the two Buick's I own there now too.
GM shot themselves in the foot being on a SUV/Truck Drunk for too many years and forgot how to build a decent CAR.
They have gotten better in the last few years but, with me they lost my business...

EDIT TWO: My advice to anyone buy any vehicle is to check up on the 'Back of the House'.
A lot of people do not think of this when purchasing their vehicle.
They are too concerned with the 'deal' in the 'Front of the House'.
(You will only work with the sales staff for a short amount of your life ;))

The Service Department of whatever dealership you are thinking about purchasing from.
That is where you will be after you purchase your vehicle.
If not for warranty fixes and TSA's or even oil changes.
To me a 'Good Dealer' is one that has a reputable Service Department.
No matter what 'deal' you get on a vehicle.