PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Symbols

Dragonfire
01-21-2012, 04:39 PM
Let's start with Runes.

This site has many attachments and seems to be a good starting point.

http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/

and from: http://www.omniglot.com/writing/runic.htm

Origin
Little is known about the origins of the Runic alphabet, which is traditionally known as futhark after the first six letters. In Old Norse the word rune means 'letter', 'text' or 'inscription'. The word also means 'mystery' or 'secret' in Old Germanic languages and runes had a important role in ritual and magic.

Here are some theories about the origins of runes:

•The alphabet was probably created independently rather than evolving from another alphabet.
•Runic writing was probably first used in southern Europe and was carried north by Germanic tribes.
•The Runic alphabet is thought to have been modelled on the Latin and/or Etruscan alphabet.
The earliest known Runic inscriptions date from the 1st century AD, but the vast majority of Runic inscriptions date from the 11th century. Runic inscriptions have been found throughout Europe from the Balkans to Germany, Scandinavia and the British Isles.

Doc
01-21-2012, 04:51 PM
I have a collection of pictures of Petroglyphs and Pictographs from my Desert Studies Archeology field work. Some of the symbols are known, some cannot be translated yet. I can put some up if this thread goes in that direction.

newyorklily
01-21-2012, 04:52 PM

An example of the runic alphabet.

newyorklily
01-21-2012, 04:55 PM
I have a collection of pictures of Petroglyphs and Pictographs from my Desert Studies Archeology field work. Some of the symbols are known, some cannot be translated yet. I can put some up if this thread goes in that direction.

I would love to see them, Doc.

Dragonfire
01-21-2012, 04:57 PM
From http://www.rune-tattoos.com/futhark1.shtml

Table of Rune Meanings

Rune Name - Letter Literal Equivalent Meaning
Fehu - F - Cattle Money, wealth
Uruz - U - Wild Ox Strength, virility
Thurisaz - Th - Giant Monster, demon, devil, chaos
Ansuz - A - Messenger, Angel Communication, source, Odin
Raido - R - Riding, Carriage Journey, travel, transport, arrival.
Kauno - K -Wound. Torch Transition, healing, light
Gebo -G -Gift Gift, windfall, surprise, kiss, luck
Wunjo - W -Joy Joy, happiness, romance
Hagalaz - H - Hail Disruption, adversity
Naudiz - N -Need Necessity, extremity
Isa -I (short) - Ice Stagnation, cold, bridge
Jera -J -Year the harvest, a cycle
Ihwaz - Y, I (long) -Yew Tree Bow or weapon, defence
Perth - P -Uncertain (Magic? Chance? Gambling?) Gamble, chance, science, technology
Algiz -Z (Rr) -Uncertain (Pine woods? Sedge Grass?) Protection, shelter
Sowilo - S - Sun All life, wholeness. energy
Tiwaz -T -The God Tiw a warrior, courage, justice
Berkanan - B - Birch Twig Fertility, growth
Ehwaz - E -Horse Speed, progression
Mannaz - M - Man The self, humanity
Laguz -L - Water Sea, flow, direction
Ingwaz - Ng - Angel, The god Ing Harmony, unity, peace
Othila - O - Hereditary Land Birthright, possessions, hereditary land or property
Dagaz - D, Dj - Day Breakthrough, a new dawn
-- Blank Rune - Not a real rune, but used for Odin by some Not a real rune, but used for destiny. beginning, or end

Dragonfire
01-21-2012, 04:58 PM
Post them Doc

Doc
01-21-2012, 08:10 PM

dstar asked me to help her get this up. This is a test as we work through it.

@dstar: Check your Personal Messages and your Guest Messages. IO vi aiuterÃ* a caricare una foto dal vostro computer.

Grazie. :thumbup:

dstar
01-22-2012, 02:05 AM

I would be interested to see your pictures...
Here attached there is a good resolution of the photo of an alleged alien writing engraved in a copper plate.
Thank you, the little icon now works !
The story of this plate is at :
http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/29905

Dstar

Doc
01-22-2012, 02:23 AM
dstar: I'm happy you figured out how to upload the picture. I will go into my files and put up some petroglyphs.

Doc
01-22-2012, 03:43 AM
This Petroglyph is called a Sheep Panel from the Mojave High Desert. It is thought to be either the commemoration of a hunt or Sympathetic Magic, created in the belief that it would draw Bighorn Sheep, which was the basis of the ancient Indian's economy in the area. Those Indians are gone now and who they were, no one knows. The current Indians don't claim them or say they know them. The people who study these things think they were Proto-Utes, who probably haven't been around for five hundred years. Very little though is known for sure. It is possible to date the carvings by measuring the erosion and the replacement rate of the surface.

newyorklily
01-22-2012, 04:16 AM
Awesome Doc! What kind of rock is that?

Doc
01-22-2012, 04:24 AM
Awesome Doc! What kind of rock is that?

That is volcanic basalt with a with a dark coating from many years of intense sunlight and weathering called Desert Varnish.

Doc
01-22-2012, 04:30 AM
This is a single Bighorn sheep figure on a basalt outcropping.

southerncross
04-21-2012, 06:31 PM
As an art student in the 70's I was fascinated by petroglyphs. Aboriginal, and Saharan are fascinating. Saharan predates the Egyptians and is where the Nabta Playa ties in. These people were very sophisticated. In some ways they put us in the dust.

CasperParks
04-21-2012, 07:51 PM
This Petroglyph is called a Sheep Panel from the Mojave High Desert. It is thought to be either the commemoration of a hunt or Sympathetic Magic, created in the belief that it would draw Bighorn Sheep, which was the basis of the ancient Indian's economy in the area. Those Indians are gone now and who they were, no one knows. The current Indians don't claim them or say they know them. The people who study these things think they were Proto-Utes, who probably haven't been around for five hundred years. Very little though is known for sure. It is possible to date the carvings by measuring the erosion and the replacement rate of the surface.

Enjoy Petroglyphs and Pictographs. Almost appears as if there is the face of a person protruding from the rock, as well.

Dragonfire
04-21-2012, 08:12 PM
I'm glad you said that Casper. I see it too. Although it wasn't that clear until you said person. That's a very distiguished nose. The total face looks incomplete from my perspective.

Marvin
04-24-2012, 01:49 PM
The Baybayin script is an ancient form of writing known in the Philippines, which is related to many of the cultures in the region.

http://www.mts.net/~pmorrow/bayeng1.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baybayin

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/15/Laguna_Copperplate_Inscription.gif

Doc
04-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Enjoy Petroglyphs and Pictographs. Almost appears as if there is the face of a person protruding from the rock, as well.

Good find! I did not notice the face before this. I'll have to go look at in person again to see if it still looks like that "live".

We took film photographs of petroglyphs and pictographs all over the desert back in the 1980s. We have been going back out and re-taking them in digital for a few years but I don't think we will get to them all. I have some pictograph photos I'll post later. Pictographs are rare around here.

Here is a sample:

southerncross
05-05-2012, 07:21 PM
That image reminds me of fresco techniques from the Renaissance. They're just beautiful.