PDA

View Full Version : How do I ... ?

Garuda
11-24-2011, 12:53 PM
If you don't know how to do something on this discussion forum, and you don't find the answers in the FAQs, or elsewhere in the 'New in Town?' section, this is where you can ask your questions.

rdunk
12-05-2011, 06:28 AM
I just joined, and one problem I had at the other place, and still seems to be here - just doesn't seem to be a good forum for posting and discussing Mars stuff, like anomalies for sure, and whatever. There were some post over there, but they just seemed to get lost in the primary subjects of the forum they were posted in. I know, you just can't have a separate forum for every subject. But Mars is almost an entirely separate subject, or maybe Mars and Moon together??????

If not separate, then where would you post this type of stuff?? Thanks for your help!!

Garuda
12-05-2011, 06:35 AM
I just joined, and one problem I had at the other place, and still seems to be here - just doesn't seem to be a good forum for posting and discussing Mars stuff, like anomalies for sure, and whatever. There were some post over there, but they just seemed to get lost in the primary subjects of the forum they were posted in. I know, you just can't have a separate forum for every subject. But Mars is almost an entirely separate subject, or maybe Mars and Moon together??????

If not separate, then where would you post this type of stuff?? Thanks for your help!!

Good idea. It would be worthwhile to set up a board dedicated to the 'anomalies' we found in the solar system, be it on Mars, the Moon, Iapetus, Phobos, ...

Why don't you start in the 'Research Lab > Research and Investigations'?
Once we've set an anomalies board up, we can move the discussions over to that board.

CasperParks
12-05-2011, 06:38 AM
Having issue with creating my avatar.

Noted that permission must be given.

rdunk
12-05-2011, 06:40 AM
Hey, that sounds good, even better, to include all anomalies. Thanks, and I will. but it is late, for me, and prob. will make my first try at it here tomorrow. Am looking forward to our discussions! Haven't even made a short intro yet, but will! :)

Talk again soon!

Garuda
12-05-2011, 06:42 AM
Having issue with creating my avatar.

Noted that permission must be given.

Sorry for the glitches. Those are inevitable during launch.

What exactly are you trying to do: link to an existing image on the Internet?

If you could let us know, that would make it easier to pinpoint the problem.

CasperParks
12-05-2011, 07:10 AM
Your Current Avatar

No Avatar Specified

Avatars are small graphics that are displayed under your username whenever you post.
Do not use an avatar
Note: if you have a custom avatar selecting this option will delete it.

Not allow me to unselect "Do Not use an avatar". Not sure if that is the issue.

Garuda
12-05-2011, 07:15 AM
Your Current Avatar

No Avatar Specified

Avatars are small graphics that are displayed under your username whenever you post.
Do not use an avatar

OK, thanks. I'll look into it right now.

EDIT TO ADD: at first glance I don't find anything wrong with the settings, but it's new to me, too.
I'll ask our tech admin who has years of experience with vBulletin to look into it.

In the mean time, if you have an image online that you'd like to use as an avatar, I can add link to that for you.

Garuda
12-05-2011, 07:41 AM
Your Current Avatar

No Avatar Specified

Do not use an avatar

Follow-up: our tech admin changed the permissions. You should be able to use a custom avatar now.

CasperParks
12-05-2011, 07:43 AM
Garuda,

Thanks for fixing it so quickly!

Using Charlie, my kitty. Was suppose to one of my former foster son's cat. Eight to nine years later, Charlie is still with me. Foster son has moved on, now 23 years old. Charlie is eight to nines years old, hope to have him around for a few more years.

Was considering using a bookcover, however that sort of falls under self promotion. Down the road, will have an avatar designed for me. Third book cover is being done by an artist in Japan, will ask her to do an avatar for me.

Garuda
12-05-2011, 07:47 AM
Garuda,

Thanks for fixing it so quickly!

Using Charlie, my kitty. Was suppose to one of my former foster son's cat. Eight to nine years later, Charlie is still with me. Foster son has moved on, now 23 years old. Charlie is eight to nines years old, hope to have him around for a few more years.

Was considering using a bookcover, however that sort of falls under "self promotion". Down the road, will have an avatar designed for me. Third book cover is being done by an artist in Japan, will ask her to do an avatar for me.

You're welcome! But I can't take the credit myself: our tech admin solved it for you.

Ah... a cat lover. You'll be in good company here!
I've got about 8 running around where I live, 4 of which are less than 3 months old.

Kezufru
12-08-2011, 05:53 PM
quick question,

How do I edit my post, have been looking around a bit but can't anything.
Reread a post of mine and saw that some sentences didn't make any sense at all so :P.

Garuda
12-08-2011, 05:58 PM
quick question,

How do I edit my post, have been looking around a bit but can't anything.
Reread a post of mine and saw that some sentences didn't make any sense at all so :P.

Underneath your post there is a bar: on the right side, the first option is 'edit post'.

Kezufru
12-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Underneath your post there is a bar: on the right side, the first option is 'edit post'.

i've indeed got a greyish bar there, but the only options i've got there are on the left side: Blog this post and Report post, and then at the right side: Reply, Reply with quote and Mulit-quote. Checked on a few differents posts of mine but all are the same.
made a print screen so you could see.

Garuda
12-08-2011, 06:36 PM
i've indeed got a greyish bar there, but the only options i've got there are on the left side: Blog this post and Report post, and then at the right side: Reply, Reply with quote and Mulit-quote. Checked on a few differents posts of mine but all are the same.
made a print screen so you could see.

That's bizarre.

I just checked the permissions, and you should have the option to edit your own posts.
And I know other members have been using it, as well.

We're looking into it.

Kezufru
12-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Ok, thanks :D.

Already thought something was off, and after I got you're message I knew it for sure.

Chris
12-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Ok, thanks :D.

Already thought something was off, and after I got you're message I knew it for sure.

Kez,

If you had your window open for more than ten minutes in edit mode then it may have timed out on you.

Kezufru
12-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks or responding Chris, but the problem is that I can't get to edit mode, I just saw that the picture I uploades is a bit small but you can just barely make out whats standing on the greyish bar under my post. Can't find edit there, or I'm looking at the wrong place.

Garuda
12-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Thanks or responding Chris, but the problem is that I can't get to edit mode, I just saw that the picture I uploades is a bit small but you can just barely make out whats standing on the greyish bar under my post. Can't find edit there, or I'm looking at the wrong place.

OK, found it: vBulletin limits the amount of time that you can edit a post. After that time, the 'edit post' option is no longer available.
It was set to 10 minutes. We just changed it to 30 minutes.

If you need to change the text of a post after that, please contact one of the staff.

Fore
12-09-2011, 12:11 PM
That is a great feature!

Now Serial editors will have a hard time.

---------------------------

How does the reporting function work? Do you guys get an Email or does it go to some place where you can see it (like on Proboards)?

Garuda
12-09-2011, 12:16 PM
That is a great feature!

Now Serial editors will have a hard time.

---------------------------

How does the reporting function work? Do you guys get an Email or does it go to some place where you can see it (like on Proboards)?

We receive an email.

Kezufru
12-09-2011, 12:27 PM
OK, found it: vBulletin limits the amount of time that you can edit a post. After that time, the 'edit post' option is no longer available.
It was set to 10 minutes. We just changed it to 30 minutes.

If you need to change the text of a post after that, please contact one of the staff.

hmm ok :P, well sometimes I write sentences that make sense to me at first, and then I reread it later and I see they aren't exactly what I meant or make no sense at all :P.

Thanks for finding out what the problem was, just will reread the post a bit more carefull when posting.

Arkki
12-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Is there a way to view "50-last posts" / view recent posts?
The side bars are nice, but I rather liked viewing full messages, easy way to keep track on the whole place.
Though now that blogs are separate from forum, I'm not sure can it work.

murmur
12-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Not exactly...but click New posts...top left.

Takes you here
http://www.theoutpostforum.com/tof/search.php?searchid=1970

norenrad
12-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Is there an "ignore" button? This place is starting to become overwhelmed with childish insulting and pseudo-cleverness. I mean, discussion is one thing, aggravation is another.

Garuda
12-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Is there an "ignore" button? This place is starting to become overwhelmed with childish insulting and pseudo-cleverness. I mean, discussion is one thing, aggravation is another.

Yes, there is.

Find a post of the person you want to ignore, click on their name.
This will take you to their profile page.
In the left column, there is an option 'Add to Ignore List'.

rdunk
12-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Yes, there is.

Find a post of the person you want to ignore, click on their name.
This will take you to their profile page.
In the left column, there is an option 'Add to Ignore List'.
.................................................. .................................................. ...................................

I would bet that ignore feature won't work for you, if it is an administrator you want to ignore!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: And if it does work for you like that, I'll bet it won't work for you long............................!!! :biggrin2:

norenrad
12-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Now, why would I want to ignore an administrator? But never fear, it isn't so.

rdunk
12-20-2011, 10:53 PM
Now, why would I want to ignore an administrator? But never fear, it isn't so.

I certainly would expect everyone to know I was just playing around with thoughts on this "ignore feature"!! I thought it was a "funny"!

Chris
12-20-2011, 11:02 PM
I certainly would expect everyone to know I was just playing around with thoughts on this "ignore feature"!! I thought it was a "funny"!

I understand, no problem, no problem at all.

Now how do you spell your name again...???

:das :biggrin2:

calikid
01-13-2012, 02:53 PM
I created a new folder called SavedOld in my PMs.
Selected some "outbox" messages that are a few weeks old, but do not see a "move to folder" option.
Am I missing something?

Garuda
01-13-2012, 05:45 PM
I created a new folder called SavedOld in my PMs.
Selected some "outbox" messages that are a few weeks old, but do not see a "move to folder" option.
Am I missing something?
Once you've created the extra folder, it is possible to select it (its checkbox) in the list of messages in 'Sent items' (or Inbox or whatever folder it is in).
Once you've done that, you'll see a button 'selected messages' at the bottom. In there, the first option is 'move to folder...'

calikid
01-14-2012, 03:17 PM
I see that option for "Inbox" items, but NOT for "Sent Items", seems moving PM I have sent out is not allowed?!

newyorklily
01-31-2012, 12:59 PM
How can I add photos to an existing album? I see a button to create an album but not one to upload pictures to an album that is already there.

CasperParks
03-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Does "Out Post Forms" have a thumb size logo? Would like to use for a link from my website to this one.

Lee
03-02-2012, 11:51 PM
Hi Casper!

We don't have a small square logo at present, but if you bear with me I'll put something together over the weekend.

That's very kind of you to offer to post a link to us on your website. Thank you! :cool:

CasperParks
03-02-2012, 11:56 PM
Hi Casper!

We don't have a small square logo at present, but if you bear with me I'll put something together over the weekend.

That's very kind of you to offer to post a link to us on your website. Thank you! :cool:

I've been meaning to update the links at my website, working on them this weekend. Look forward to seeing the logo.

Lee
03-06-2012, 12:04 AM
I've posted some smaller banners here: http://www.theoutpostforum.com/tof/showthread.php?498-The-Outpost-Forum-promotional-material&p=7813&viewfull=1#post7813

Hopefully one of them will be of use to you, if not let me know. We'll be posting more as time permits.

Garuda
09-12-2012, 12:53 PM
We've recently changed the default 'skin' for the forum.

If you want to choose a different one, here's how to do it.

In normal circumstances, it's enough to choose one from the box at the bottom of the page.
For some people, that choice only applies for their current session, which probably means the cookie gets removed by some browser add-on.

In that case you can choose 'Settings' at the top of the page.
On that page, in the left column, choose My Settings: My Account: General settings.
The right side of the page will get updated.
Towards the bottom of the page you'll find 'miscellaneous options', one of which is 'Forum Skin.'
Choose your preferred skin and then press the 'Save Changes' button.

Antares
08-10-2013, 03:06 PM
How do I get notification if I'm quoted on a specific thread? I've seen that feature being default in most forums but it isn't here. Is there a way to set this (since I haven't found it, is why I'm asking)?

Garuda
08-10-2013, 04:48 PM
How do I get notification if I'm quoted on a specific thread? I've seen that feature being default in most forums but it isn't here. Is there a way to set this (since I haven't found it, is why I'm asking)?

There is an add-on for that, but we have not installed it.

Antares
08-10-2013, 04:55 PM
There is an add-on for that, but we have not installed it.

Oh, okay, I thought I might have missed something :).

Garuda
03-01-2017, 04:05 AM
How to re-enable the statistics at the top of the home page if you accidentally switch them off:

Use this URL: http://www.theoutpostforum.com/tof/misc.php?do=enablestats

Garuda
03-31-2017, 09:14 AM
Posting YouTube videos:

- posting videos with a youtu.be URL won't be shown as videos, as those are redirects (to youtube.com) and don't have the actual youtube video. Use the youtube.com URL instead.

- posting videso with a m.youtube.com URL won't be shown as videos either. The vBulletin software at present only parses links to www.youtube.com correctly.