PDA

View Full Version : Metallic Orbs

Sykotronik
02-15-2012, 06:15 PM
Last year I bought a new PC, going through my pics I came across some pictures with what appear to be metallic orbs on, I did not see them at the time.

What ever they are they were silent, spherical, and moving far too fast for balloons.

These two pics are cropped from full pictures, that I couldn't down load (too big ?) I will compress the others and put them up. Unfortunately I only had a 7.2 mega pic camera at the time.

I estimate them to be about 2-3 meters across, the mountains behind rise from 300 to 1100 meters (clearer on full pic)

Sykotronik
02-15-2012, 06:16 PM
Any advice on posting bigger pics ? :confused:

Lee
02-15-2012, 06:43 PM
Use a free image hosting site such as tinypic or photobucket. You can upload an image directly from your computer and they will provide you with the url for posting.

Edit: It would be very helpful if you could upload the original untouched images rather than cropped ones, as any editing will remove the exif data from the image.

Sykotronik
02-18-2012, 07:48 PM
http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m508/VaguelyReticent/DSC01626-1.jpg

Top left, between branches

Removed extra
M

Sykotronik
02-18-2012, 08:08 PM
http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m508/VaguelyReticent/DSC01622.jpg

Unfortunately lack of computer skills means that this cropped photo is all I have, as it replaced the full original :doh:

Removed extra
M

Sykotronik
02-18-2012, 08:12 PM
Thes pics were taken 13/11/ 2006 at around 11.30am, The one above was taken shortly (seconds) before the top one, if they show the same object , then it / they have moved over a kilometer.

Marvin
02-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Thes pics were taken 13/11/ 2006 at around 11.30am, The one above was taken shortly (seconds) before the top one, if they show the same object , then it / they have moved over a kilometer.

Hi Sykotronik,

Unfortunately, on the "full sized" image, the EXIF data is still stripped... all I can tell about the image is the camera type (it appears to be a Sony DSC-W7). Maybe one of the other image analysts will have better luck.

M

Sykotronik
02-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Hi Sykotronik,

Unfortunately, on the "full sized" image, the EXIF data is still stripped... all I can tell about the image is the camera type (it appears to be a Sony DSC-W7). Maybe one of the other image analysts will have better luck.

M

Hi Marvin, what is EXIF data, and why would it be not there ( I do hope I've not asked a question that will give an answer I don't understand :-)) ?

I did put my photos on disc to transfer them to my new PC, could that be the cause ?

Yes my old camera is a Sony DSC-W7.

It would be great to have these pics verified as genuine, as it would validate some personal issues.

Marvin
02-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Hi Marvin, what is EXIF data, and why would it be not there ( I do hope I've not asked a question that will give an answer I don't understand :-)) ?

I did put my photos on disc to transfer them to my new PC, could that be the cause ?

Yes my old camera is a Sony DSC-W7.

It would be great to have these pics verified as genuine, as it would validate some personal issues.

Hi Sykotronik,

Exchangeable image file format (Exif) and metadata contain information about the image you create with your camera. This can be a bit technical so I added the links below, hopefully they will do a better job to help you (rather than a long winded explanation from me).

http://mansurovs.com/what-is-exif-data

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchangeable_image_file_format

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metadata

This data can be removed by photo editing software, or software designed to “shrink” the amount of bytes (file size) of a photo for faster internet transfers. Sometimes sites like Photobucket will do this to save on hard drive storage space. It also can be intentionally removed to prevent close analysis of an image.

I do not speculate on the reasons why the data is missing on an image, I usually will not spend the time to analyze an image whose data has been removed/altered. In the case of your image, the large image you last posted has been “shrinked,” therefore it has lost a lot of (fine) image detail. Looking at “small” distant objects that have been shrinked, well there is not much to see as far as identification of the objects.

I am sorry I cannot be more helpful.

M

Marvin
02-23-2012, 03:25 PM
http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m508/VaguelyReticent/DSC01622.jpg

Unfortunately lack of computer skills means that this cropped photo is all I have, as it replaced the full original :doh:

I did look at the above image:

Enhancement.

Insert enlargement.

There is not much to see... it could be UFOs or Mylar balloons (based on this image alone). There is too much "noise" (jpeg artifacts) to get more out of it.

M

newyorklily
02-23-2012, 04:58 PM
Thank you, Marvin.

Can you tell us, when we see something in the sky, and we take a digital picture of it, what is the best way to post it here? How can we retain most of the EXIF data? Or is that not possible?

Marvin
02-23-2012, 07:52 PM
Newyorklily,

We seem to be having some server issues, I cannot "reply with quotes."

As far as posting photos and keeping the EXIF data, I do not see a way to do that... this forum has a maximum of 83.8kb for any photo uploads... so when I uploaded a 913kb photo directly from the computer, it was changed to 83.8kb and stripped of the EXIF data.

We may need to have an Email account for the forum... so we have folks send original photos to it... unless someone has a better idea?

M

Dragonfire
02-23-2012, 09:17 PM
Marvin, that sounds like a great idea. I'll relay this to the admins.

Have a good one Marvin:cool:

:ufo:

Lee
02-23-2012, 11:18 PM
That is a good idea. :cool: I don't see any reason why we can't set up a dedicated email account, there may even be software addons we can use, we'll have to look into it.

In the meantime members could use the email accounts asscoiated with staff profiles.