PDA

View Full Version : Wihtigo aka Bigfoot CBC Broadcast

Eric
03-02-2012, 06:38 AM
A very interesting broadcast about Cree Wihtigo stories with Luis Bird. Though some here might be interested.

http://www.cbc.ca/ideas/episodes/2011/04/08/wihtigo-1/

Doc
03-02-2012, 02:18 PM
Thanks, Eric. Quite a few of us follow Cryptozoology and anything new (or not widely known) is always welcome.

Redbone
03-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Wihtigo, Windago or Wendago they are the same mythical creature. Usually tall, hairy and with a penchant for human flesh. Many Native American tribes tell the same story of an evil creature that lives in the woods. The story is used as a way to teach the immorality of eating another human. But you have to wonder where does the myth originate? Most Native American tribes have their own legends regarding these creatures or a creature similiar. I believe that Sasquatch is at the root of the legend.

Cherokee accept the "Old Men of the Forest" as just another tribe. There are legends that tell of the Cherokee communicating and interacting with them. Cherokee called them "Tsul Kalu", which translates to Slant Eyed Giants. It is said that they have magical powers and you only see them if they want you too. It is considered a great blessing to witness one. I can tell you, it was a very spiritual experince for me. The Cherokee do not fear them as the Cree fear the Wihtigo, but they are very will respected and given a wide birth.

Although the Cherokee do not see them as evil, there are stories of Tsul Kalu carrying off Cherokee women. What they did with the women, is of course, the big question?