PDA

View Full Version : Fake Youtube Emails: Spam or Malware Alert

Doc
03-14-2012, 01:44 PM
A wave of spam emails purporting to come from YouTube direct users to rogue online pharmacies through compromised legitimate websites. Some of the fake emails lead to known malware sites.

Belgian email security vendor MX Lab reports the new spam campaign generates emails that bear a subject of "YouTube Administration sent you a message: Your video on the TOP of YouTube."

The fake communications have their header spoofed to appear as if they originate from a service@youtube.com email address and are built based on a YouTube template. Their body reads:

"YouTube Administration has sent you a message. Your video on the TOP of YouTube. To: [recipient's email address] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[id]&feature=topvideos_entertainment. You can reply to this message by visiting your inbox."

There are several links inside the message, including the youtube.com one, one on the word "inbox," one on "YouTube Administration," as well as three in top right menu, "help center," "e-mail options" and, ironically, "report spam." All links point to redirect scripts hosted on legitimate compromised websites that further take users to sites pushing unregulated drugs under the Canadian Family Pharmacy brand.

Do not click on any links in these emails.

norenrad
03-14-2012, 02:10 PM
I got one this morning, it led to a pharmacy site. Also, my email was hacked again, this is the third time I had to change my password. I also had my facebook hacked last year and had to change my password for that too... don't these losers have anything better to do? Is it human nature to harass others, or is it that there are more freaks out there than I first imagined?

Marvin
03-14-2012, 04:56 PM
Awesome post Doc!

I have received 4 or 5 of these in the past 5 days. I knew better than to click on the links, but I am glad to see you are getting the word out.