PDA

View Full Version : Fukishima - Forty million Japanese in 'extreme danger', possible evacuation

southerncross
05-17-2012, 11:25 PM
It's unfathomable but they are discussing Tokyo being in the evacuation area. I can't imagine a city of that size ad sophistication being abandoned.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 by: Ethan A. Huff, staff writer

(NaturalNews) Japanese officials are currently engaging in talks with Russian diplomats about where tens of millions of Japanese refugees might relocate in the very-likely event that the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear facility's Reactor 4 completely collapses. According to a recent report by EUTimes.net, Japanese authorities have indicated that as many as 40 million Japanese people are in "extreme danger" of radiation poisoning, and many eastern cities, including Tokyo, may have to be evacuated in the next few weeks or months to avoid extreme radiation poisoning.

http://www.naturalnews.com/035894_Fukushima_evacuation_radiation.html#ixzz1vA TjeM1W

And what does that mean to Alaska and the west coast of the US? I have read that some flight attendants and polar bears are experiencing skin lesions and hair loss. The cause is yet to be determined.

http://www.naturalnews.com/035884_flight_attendants_radiation_poisoning.html

I should add that there is a good deal of debate as to the affect the reactor will have on Japan and the ocean, but there is a lot of waste coming toward the US and it needs to be studied and understood quickly and the reactor needs to be contained post haste. We can all argue after it is safe.

norenrad
05-18-2012, 01:41 AM
I agree, fix it before more destruction occurs. Also, why are they looking to Russia to help them? I can't imagine it's because of cultural similarities.

Is it crazy to think that blasting all this nuclear waste into space might be a good idea? It sure isn't doing us any good right here on the ground and once we get it all sailing into the sun, we can actually stop producing it all together.

southerncross
05-18-2012, 01:53 AM
I think the Japanese would be a wonderful addition to this nation. They have qualities we have put aside and forgotten.
I'd love to see them here. Though it would be a terrible tragedy to see a large part of the island abandoned for a long time.

If they'd switch to Thorium, it would be far safer.

touched
05-25-2012, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the article southerncross. I believe the reason the people of Japan wont be coming here is because if reactor 4 does collapse, the radiation will most likely head towards the U.S.. One of the resources I depend on and trust pertaining to this issue is Chief Nuclear Engineer for Fairewinds Association Arnie Gunderson.

southerncross
05-26-2012, 02:11 AM
Thanks so much, I'll check them out..

Please post any news on the topic. The MSM has dropped it altogether it seems.

epo333
08-02-2012, 02:02 AM
Cyclops shark Sea of Cortez, Mexico - genetic mutation due to Fukushima radiation...

Think there maybe a media black out of the genetic mutations going on in Japan. I would expect they are starting to get human anomalies by now.

Here is some from Chernobyl (Mutations).

Just sad...

spacemaverick
11-07-2013, 06:11 PM
Hello everyone. I see you have a thread on the Fukushima problem. You are right it seems that mainstream media has dropped any effort to make the world more aware of what is transpiring in Japan. My goodness, this is having a bad affect on the whole world and can definitely get worse. And it has gotten worse. This has an affect as much as radiation from a nuclear conflict only slower. Touched is correct. Arnie Gunderson is a good source of information. Since this is a subject of much interest to me, I thought I might jump in and participate. I'm glad that epo333 has shown those pictures. People in the general public have no clue about the truth. TEPCO and the Japanese government have covered up. The American government has covered up the effects on the West coast and even the East coast of the USA. I recently saw an article of a sailor who said that in his voyage across the Pacific that he saw very little marine life activity. Canada recently put out the information that their fleets who fish for sardines come back with no loads at all. My goodness, this is affecting the food chain also. This is the domino theory, only it is not a theory....it's a fact. I understand by more recent news that that the Japanese had taken down a natural Tsunami barrier originally to put the power plant there. Hey it not nice to mess with mother nature! Southerncross mentioned Thorium. I had a whole thread elsewhere on thorium. It is a good alternative. (wish I had saved that thread now since the forum is gone). Thorium can consume our nuclear waste and still make energy and thorium is found in abundance. I also heard of another idea how to take care of the problem at Fukushima but really don't agree with it but at least some people out there are coming up with ideas.

Now I don't advocate this but....it was said vaporize it! How do they do that you might ask? Explode a nuclear bomb on Fukushima! The problem I see with that is that now you have made more fallout that will float on the Jetstream and over the rest of the world in the atmosphere. Entomb it like the Russians did Chernobyl? Possible but you still have to go back and keep this going because concrete and whatever else is used will decay. Where have the coriums gone. Have they melted through all the structures and are now into the earth? Even the Japanese cannot tell us or won't tell us. So many questions, so few answers and even fewer no about the problem or have stuck their heads in the sand hoping it would go away. This problem is worse than any problem we have ever had and the governments and the people are asleep....

epo333
11-15-2013, 11:37 PM
Fukushima - A Global Threat That Requires a Global Response
Wednesday, 23 October 2013 09:26
By Kevin Zeese and Margaret Flowers , Truthout | News Analysis

The story of Fukushima should be on the front pages of every newspaper. Instead, it is rarely mentioned. The problems at Fukushima are unprecedented in human experience and involve a high risk of radiation events larger than any that the global community has ever experienced. It is going to take the best engineering minds in the world to solve these problems and to diminish their global impact.

When we researched the realities of Fukushima in preparation for this article, words like apocalyptic, cataclysmic and Earth-threatening came to mind. But, when we say such things, people react as if we were the little red hen screaming "the sky is falling" and the reports are ignored. So, we’re going to present what is known in this article and you can decide whether we are facing a potentially cataclysmic event.

(snip)

The Problems of Fukushima

There are three major problems at Fukushima: (1) Three reactor cores are missing; (2) Radiated water has been leaking from the plant in mass quantities for 2.5 years; and (3) Eleven thousand spent nuclear fuel rods, perhaps the most dangerous things ever created by humans, are stored at the plant and need to be removed, 1,533 of those are in a very precarious and dangerous position.

(snip)

The biggest and most immediate challenge is the 1,533 spent fuel rods packed tightly in a pool four floors above Reactor 4. Before the storm hit, those rods had been removed for routine maintenance of the reactor. But, now they are stored 100 feet in the air in damaged racks. They weigh a total of 400 tons and contain radiation equivalent to 14,000 times the amount released by the Hiroshima atomic bomb.

(snip)

How dangerous are these fuel rods? Harvey Wasserman explains that the fuel rods are clad in zirconium which can ignite if they lose coolant. They could also ignite or explode if rods break or hit each other. Wasserman reports that some say this could result in a fission explosion like an atomic bomb, others say that is not what would happen, but agree it would be "a reaction like we have never seen before, a nuclear fire releasing incredible amounts of radiation," says Wasserman.

These are not the only spent fuel rods at the plant, they are just the most precarious. There are 11,000 fuel rods scattered around the plant, 6,000 in a cooling pool less than 50 meters from the sagging Reactor 4. If a fire erupts in the spent fuel pool at Reactor 4, it could ignite the rods in the cooling pool and lead to an even greater release of radiation. It could set off a chain reaction that could not be stopped.

There is a huge amount of info (and more links) at the link below...

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/19547-fukushima-a-global-threat-that-requires-a-global-response

southerncross
11-16-2013, 02:48 AM
Regarding the food chain, Spacemaverick mentioned the sardines not being caught and I thought that someone needs to find out what the state of plankton is. If it dies, that's it. Everything rests on the plankton. It's like everything for us on earth rests on water. No water, no life.

Next the idea of detonating anything on Fukishima is crazy considering that fault line hasn't really concluded its shift. They could still see some size able quakes just as Banda Aceh did in and around Java 10 yrs ago. It is still moving.

I have a question though. With contaminated water reaching the west coast, how is that affecting the air quality. Have any measurements been taken ?

The planet is undergoing some very dynamic changes right now and we are surely entering in to a serious cooling trend. The sun is behaving in unexpected ways right now and the planet affected by its ejections and sunspots, or lack thereof.
Then we go and build critical equipment capable of killing the ocean on a damn fault line they KNOW will slip dynamically. I cringe at the gross stupidity sometimes. A little common sense goes a long long way.

spacemaverick
11-16-2013, 10:03 PM
Regarding Plankton:
http://environment.yale.edu/yer/article/fukushima-radiation-found-in-food-webs-in-the-pacific

Now read the words closely in the article focusing on the "local legal standards"...did they raise the standard?

Garuda
11-17-2013, 07:41 AM
Starfish, too, are being affected by something:

http://www.businessinsider.com/disease-ravaging-west-coast-starfish-2013-11

My first thought was 'Fukushima'!

epo333
11-17-2013, 01:09 PM
At the Very Least, Your Days of Eating Pacific Ocean Fish Are Over

The heart-breaking news from Fukushima just keeps getting worse…a LOT worse…it is, quite simply, an out-of-control flow of death and destruction. TEPCO is finally admitting that radiation has been leaking to the Pacific Ocean all along. and it’s NOT over….

I find myself moving between the emotions of sorrow and anger.

It now appears that anywhere from 300 to possibly over 450 tons of contaminated water that contains radioactive iodone, cesium, and strontium-89 and 90, is flooding into the Pacific Ocean from the Fukushima Daichi site everyday. To give you an idea of how bad that actually is, Japanese experts estimate Fukushima’s fallout at 20-30 times as high as as the Hiroshima and Nagasaki nuclear bombings in 1945

There’s a lot you’re not being told. Oh, the information is out there, but you have to dig pretty deep to find it, and you won’t find it on the corporate-owned evening news.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7UQXfN-J4E

WHAT’S GOING ON WITH THE PACIFIC OCEAN FOOD CHAIN? – May 2013 –Researchers from the Japan Agency for Marine Earth Science and Technology reported in early 2012 that they have detected radioactive cesium from the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant in plankton collected from all 10 points in the Pacific they checked, with the highest levels at around 25 degrees north latitude and 150 degrees west longitude. Plankton, and the radiation they contain, moves right up the food chain through fish, whales, seals, etc., and when larger fish eat smaller fish. Kyodo: Highest levels of Fukushima contamination in plankton already east of Hawaii?

A WARNING TO SEAFOOD LOVERS EVERYWHERE – Scientists previously reported higher-than-expected concentrations of radiation in fish off Japan. Now there are calls for testing of seafood sold in the U.S. Although contaminated air, rainfall and even radioactive debris from Japan have drifted toward the U.S. West Coast since the disaster occurred 2 1/2 years ago, scientists are unclear about how the contaminated waters could impact the health of Americans, and while scientists say that 300 tons of contaminate water is diluted in the Pacific, no one knows how long that’s been going during those 2 1/2 years as we also now know TEPCO has been lying all along. Nuclear experts are calling on the U.S. government to test West Coast waters and Pacific seafood sold in the U.S. in the wake of Japan’s alarming admission about an ongoing radiation leak, something the EPA and the FDA have so far refused to do, as they are only testing imported fish, not wild-caught. WHY? The only way to protect your children and grandchildren is by NOT EATING SEAFOOD from the Pacific Ocean until we have better information (Source). Information posted at the website of The Department of Nuclear Engineering at the University of California recommends not buying any fish from the Pacific Ocean or western states, including Baja.

WHAT YOU HAVEN’T BEEN TOLD ABOUT FISH CONTAMINATION
•Tissue samples taken from 15 bluefin caught in August, five months after the meltdowns at Fukushima Daiichi, all 15 contained reactor byproducts cesium-134 and cesium-137.
•The 15 fish tested were only exposed to radiation for a short time. But bluefin arriving in California now will have been exposed to the Fukushima radiation for much longer.
•Unlike some other compounds, radioactive cesium does not quickly sink to the sea bottom but remains dispersed in the water column, from the surface to the ocean floor.Fish can swim right through it, ingesting it through their gills, by taking in seawater or by eating organisms that have already taken it in.
•The overwhelming scientific consensus is that there is no safe level of radiation … and radiation consumed and taken into the body is much more dangerous than background radiation.
•The Telegraph notes that scientists tagged a bluefin tuna and found that it crossed between Japan and the West Coast three times in 600 days: All Pacific migratory fish are likely Fukushima contaminated.
•Why have Contaminated Alaskan Halibut been found even though halibut don’t migrate? The cesium-134 contamination from radioactive plumes doesn’t just fall on land.
•Study shows Fukushima nuclear pollution becoming more concentrated as it approaches U.S. West Coast — Plume crosses ocean in a nearly straight line toward N. America — Appears to stay together with little dispersion (MODEL)
•Pacific herring in Canada bleeding from eyeballs, faces, fins, tails — I’ve never seen fish looking this bad — All 100 examined were bloody — Officials informed of hemorrhaging soon after 3/11 — Gov’t ignoring problem.
•Unprecedented: Sockeye salmon at dire historic low on Canada’s Pacific coast — “We think something happened in the ocean” — “The elders have never seen anything like this at all” — Alaska and Russia also affected.
•Japan Times: Fukushima Daiichi radioactive water problems seem ‘uncontainable’ — Believed to be wreaking environmental havoc upon Pacific Ocean.

- See more at: http://www.themindunleashed.org/2013/08/at-very-least-your-days-of-eating.html#sthash.92SfYDlY.dpuf

southerncross
11-17-2013, 05:00 PM
Unit 4 spent fuel pool at TEPCO's Fukushima nuclear power plant contains
1,331 spent fuel assemblies and 202 unused rods. On November 18, 2013,
TEPCO workers will begin removing the unused rods first. This Fukushima Reactor 4
was severely damaged by a hydrogen explosion on March 11, 2011, when a 9.1
magnitude earthquake hit off the eastern coast of Japan, followed by a gigantic
tsunami. TEPCO says Unit 4 did not go into reactor meltdown like Units 1, 2 and 3
because all of its radioactive fuel was stored in the spent fuel pool for
maintenance on that catastrophic date. But American Arnie Gundersen, a nuclear
watchdog, warns that Unit 4's nuclear fuel is already “very close to going critical”
and each fuel rod must be removed one-by-one carefully over the
next several months.

southerncross
11-17-2013, 05:48 PM
I have a question.

Has anyone looked in to current and future conditions of the Atlantic, considering the Global Conveyor current ?
I think for now Atlantic fish is safe, but for how long and will they die off as well ?

Seems Indian prophesies are right about the seas dying.

Longeyes
11-17-2013, 09:01 PM
Radiation from one reactor in the whole of the pacific will disperse relatively quickly.
I think this is the big worry. It's happening already and more worringly the constantly churning South Ocean which has absorbed the majority of co2 is reaching a saturation point.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24904143

spacemaverick
11-19-2013, 08:45 PM
http://fairewinds.org/media/fairewinds-videos/remove-tepco-removing-fuel

"Fairewinds has fielded a number of questions regarding the removal of the fuel rods from the spent fuel pool in Unit 4 at Fukushima Daiichi. Today’s video shows Arnie debunking TEPCO’s animated film point by point, and highlights the issues TEPCO will have removing the fuel rods. TEPCO needs to be removed as the organization overseeing the cleanup of the site prior to the removal of the fuel rods."

touched
11-25-2013, 05:23 AM
Radiation Network

http://www.radiationnetwork.com/index.htm

Cliff

touched
11-27-2013, 12:06 PM
http://vimeo.com/80378026#at=20

http://fairewinds.org/podcast/giving-thanks

touched
11-28-2013, 03:35 PM
http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/nu/f1-np/camera/index-e.html

spacemaverick
11-29-2013, 08:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCcA2gAJ3dc&feature=player_embedded

Death from the West

More information on Fukushima

touched
11-29-2013, 11:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCcA2gAJ3dc&feature=player_embedded

Death from the West

More information on Fukushima

Like Arnie Gunderson, Helen Caldicott (the lady in the video) is someone that knows what she's talking about and has the credentials to back it.

Quote from wiki article:

During her time in the United States from 1977 to 1986, Caldicott was the founding president from 1978 to 1983 of Physicians for Social Responsibility (founded originally in 1961 and dormant from 1970 to 1978), and she helped to recruit 23,000 doctors committed to educating the public and their colleagues on the dangers of nuclear energy. She also worked abroad to establish similar national groups that focused on education about the medical dangers of nuclear energy, nuclear weapons and nuclear war. The umbrella organisation International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War) was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1985. She herself received the Humanist of the Year award from the American Humanist Association in 1982.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Caldicott

epo333
12-27-2013, 11:40 PM
When it come to the radiation released into and on the planet, I would remind you for our nuclear past test...

Some of you will have seen this, but for those who have not...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekZtK4ZBMt4&feature=player_embedded
2053" - This is the number of nuclear explosions conducted in various parts of the globe from 1954-1998.

we have a beautiful world . . . no?

epo333
01-04-2014, 01:35 AM
This almost slipped by due to the Holidays...

** NEWS FLASH -- URGENT **
Saturday, 28 December 2013 22:55

STEAM SUDDENLY EMANATING FROM FUKUSHIMA REACTOR # 3 - WEST COAST OF NORTH AMERICA SHOULD BEGIN PREPARATIONS FOR POSSIBLE RADIATION CLOUD WITHIN 3 TO 5 DAYS

Persons residing on the west coast of North America should IMMEDIATELY begin preparing for another possible onslaught of dangerous atmospheric radiation from the Fukushima nuclear disaster site in Japan. The Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) says radioactive steam has suddenly begun emanating from previously exploded nuclear reactor building #3 at the Fukuishima disaster site in Japan

TEPCO says they do not know why this is happening and cannot go into the building to see what's happening due to damage and lethal radiation levels in that building. Experts say this could be the beginning of a "spent fuel pool criticality (meltdown)" involving up to 89 TONS of nuclear fuel burning up into the atmosphere and heading to North America.

Photo and more at link below...

http://www.turnerradionetwork.com/news/146-mjt

spacemaverick
01-04-2014, 08:17 PM
This almost slipped by due to the Holidays...

** NEWS FLASH -- URGENT **
Saturday, 28 December 2013 22:55

STEAM SUDDENLY EMANATING FROM FUKUSHIMA REACTOR # 3 - WEST COAST OF NORTH AMERICA SHOULD BEGIN PREPARATIONS FOR POSSIBLE RADIATION CLOUD WITHIN 3 TO 5 DAYS

Persons residing on the west coast of North America should IMMEDIATELY begin preparing for another possible onslaught of dangerous atmospheric radiation from the Fukushima nuclear disaster site in Japan. The Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) says radioactive steam has suddenly begun emanating from previously exploded nuclear reactor building #3 at the Fukuishima disaster site in Japan

TEPCO says they do not know why this is happening and cannot go into the building to see what's happening due to damage and lethal radiation levels in that building. Experts say this could be the beginning of a "spent fuel pool criticality (meltdown)" involving up to 89 TONS of nuclear fuel burning up into the atmosphere and heading to North America.

Photo and more at link below...

http://www.turnerradionetwork.com/news/146-mjt

This is not good. We need to monitor more closely the West Coast and this new information.

touched
01-05-2014, 02:30 AM
Fairewinds Energy Education
December 31, 2013

Steam heat? What is happening at Fukushima Daiichi?

Beginning on Monday December 30, 2013, the Internet has been flooded with conjecture claiming that Fukushima Daiichi Unit 3 is ready to explode. Fairewinds Energy Education has been inundated with questions about the very visible steam emanating from Fukushima Daiichi Unit 3. Our research, and discussions with other scientists, confirms that what we are seeing is a phenomenon that has been occurring at the Daiichi site since the March 2011 accident.

It is winter and it is cold throughout much of the northern hemisphere. Hot water vapor has been released daily by each of the four Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plants since the accident. We believe that is one of the reasons TEPCO placed covers over Daiichi 4 and 1. Sometimes the steam [hot water vapor] is visible and sometimes it is not. If you have been outside on a cold winter day, you have personally experienced that phenomenon when you see the breath you exhale form a cloud in the cold air. The technical explanation is that hot water vapor becomes visible when it comes in contact with cold air and condenses. During the winter months in the Fukushima Prefecture, the sea air is cold and moist, thus forming the ideal conditions to see the released steam.

Why is there still steam coming from the plants especially since TEPCO says that they are in cold shutdown? As we at Fairewinds have discussed in our many videos, podcasts, and reports, radioactive rubble (fission products) was left in each unit following the triple meltdowns. While the plants are shutdown in nuke speak, there is no method of achieving cold shut down in any nuclear reactor. While the reactor can stop generating the actual nuclear chain reaction, the atoms left over from the original nuclear chain reaction continue to give off heat that is called the decay of the radioactive rubble (fission products). The heat from this ongoing decay of radioactive rubble is constantly releasing moisture (steam) and radioactive products into the environment. The radioactive decay is gradually slowing down, as fission products decay away. The cold moist winter air at this time of year is making steam from the ongoing decay easily visible.

How much radiation is escaping? When Unit 3 was operating, it was producing more than 2,000 megawatts of heat from the nuclear fission process (chain reaction in the reactor). Immediately after the earthquake and tsunami, it shut down and the chain reaction stopped, but Unit 3 was still producing about 160 megawatts of decay heat. Now, 30 months later, it is still producing slightly less than 1 megawatt (one million watts) of decay heat.

What does that figure mean; is it an inconsequential amount? 1 megawatt of decay heat is a lot of heat even today, and it is creating radioactive steam, but it is not a new phenomenon. These hot radioactive releases [not physically hot, but radioactive hot – meaning they contain radioactive fission products] have occurring for the entire 33 months following the triple meltdown. The difference now is that the only time we visibly notice these ongoing releases is on the cold days with atmospheric conditions cold enough to condense hot vapor into steam.

Fairewinds Energy Education would like to thank our viewers and listeners for following our work and supporting our work and sending it important questions like this one. We will continue to keep you informed.

epo333
01-09-2014, 11:32 AM
Other news on Fukushima Daiichi...

http://www.infowars.com/1400-radiation-hot-spot-found-on-san-francisco-beach/

http://www.infowars.com/missouri-snow-found-to-contain-radiation-double-normal-amount/

and a different but still negative kind of fallout...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/05/whistleblowers-japan-crackdown-state-secrets

majicbar
01-09-2014, 10:34 PM
"After studying a dirt sample in a spectrum analyzer, the substance was found to contain radium and thorium, which are both naturally occurring radioactive elements. No evidence of cesium-137, the fissile material used in the Fukushima reactors, was discovered..."

Obviously the writer is a poorly educated individual: U-235 or Thoruim-? would be a fissile material, while Cesium-137 would be a daughter product of a fission reaction. The Fukushima reactors produced Cesium 137 as a byproduct of uncontrolled fission reactions in the damaged reactors. Irrespective of process, the horror of this accident is a shame in every respect.

epo333
01-10-2014, 12:53 AM
'The ocean is broken'
October 19, 2013

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/the-ocean-is-broken-20131018-2vs7v.html

touched
01-10-2014, 06:45 PM
Tracking The Complete Revolution of Surface Westerlies over Northern Hemisphere Using Radionuclides Emitted From Fukushima

Quote from article :

4. Conclusions

The unique global coverage of fallout radiocesium released from the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant, particularly a fresh injection of 134 Cs and 137 Cs to the ground air provided a rare opportunity to observe a complete, uninterrupted revolution of the mid-latitude Surface West-erlies of the northern Hemisphere in late March 2011. This revolution took less than 21 days. This occurrence was verified for the first time based on the simultaneous global surface air measurements of artificial radionuclides, e.g.,131I 134Cs, and 137 Cs, and using the HYSPLIT model.

This work clearly demonstrates how little dissipation occurred during this time due to the nature of the rapid global air circulation system,and the Fukushima radioactive plume contaminated the entire Northern Hemisphere during a relatively short period of time. The westerlies have strengthened and shifted pole ward over the past 50 years probably due to atmospheric warming arising from the increasing concentrations of atmospheric carbon dioxide (Anderson et al., 2009;Toggweiler, 2009),therefore a close look at the depositional fluxes of Fukushima released radionuclides over the earth surface would help in providing a better understanding of the dynamics of the northern Hemisphere westerlies.

Read More Here :
http://clasweb.clas.wayne.edu/Multimedia/Geology/files/Faculty/baskaran/publications2/112-Hernandez-Ceballos%20etal_2012.pdf

Doc
01-11-2014, 01:10 AM
Interesting how I never see anything about his in the news here on the West Coast. If someone told me that the PtB were burying this story, I would believe it without hesitation.

spacemaverick
01-11-2014, 03:28 AM
Interesting how I never see anything about his in the news here on the West Coast. If someone told me that the PtB were burying this story, I would believe it without hesitation.

The powers that be are the ones who make the laws, they are the ones that set the standards, they control the mainstream media etc...then you have to filter through some alternative media people that are out to make a buck and then you have to filter disinformation. frustrating....I have found a few places I trust to look for the information. I don't know what to say Doc except better to be safe than sorry and try and check it out for ourselves if possible. For most people interested we don't have the resources....

Doc
01-11-2014, 03:51 AM
The powers that be are the ones who make the laws, they are the ones that set the standards, they control the mainstream media etc...then you have to filter through some alternative media people that are out to make a buck and then you have to filter disinformation. frustrating....I have found a few places I trust to look for the information. I don't know what to say Doc except better to be safe than sorry and try and check it out for ourselves if possible. For most people interested we don't have the resources....

I think you hit the key thing with "I have found a few places I trust to look for the information". Since when, I wonder, do we have to go seek sources of important news? Or was it always this way and we didn't have alternative sources to look to back then?

spacemaverick
01-11-2014, 04:10 AM
I think you hit the key thing with "I have found a few places I trust to look for the information". Since when, I wonder, do we have to go seek sources of important news? Or was it always this way and we didn't have alternative sources to look to back then?

Just my opinion but at one time we had real journalists that reported the news and now "they" the people who call themselves journalists just tickle our ears for the most ratings. Ratings show how many people are listening and the advertisers who sponsor get to hawk their goods. All about the dollar. Just my humble opinion with no proof.

spacemaverick
01-11-2014, 08:06 PM
Professor’s Diary: Fukushima radioactive material “has reached the west coast as of June 2013 by ocean transport” — Health risks to be determined by ongoing monitoring

An article from enews on Professor Jay Cullen from University of Victoria. He is a professor of marine chemistry. January 4 2014.

Fukushima derived Cs has reached the west coast as of June 2013 by ocean transport but [the] concentrations of Cs continue to be well below levels thought to pose environmental or public health threats. There have been a number of popular press articles that [...] report the timing of the arrival of the radionuclides but offer no perspective on the actual levels and the associated risk to residents of the west coast (e.g. link). [...] About 93% of radioactivity in seawater results from the presence of primordial, naturally occurring potassium-40 (K-40) and rubidium-87 (Rb-87). The remaining 7% are radioactive elements deposited to the ocean from past atmospheric nuclear testing. [...] Fukushima derived Cs was detected all the way to the coast in June 2013 with the highest levels of Cs-137 farthest offshore (0.0009 Bq/L or roughly 0.006% of background radiation) and lower levels of 0.0003 Bq/L toward the coast [...] Ongoing monitoring will constrain the likely environmental and health risks posed by ocean transport of Fukushima derived radionuclides.

Note the professor changed the units to Bq/L for Cs-134 and -137, instead of using Bq/m3 as in the source document (pdf). The above amounts must be multiplied by 1,000 to get Bq/m3.

In addition, the figures provided by the professor appear to be inaccurate:

According to the source document, it’s Cs-134, not Cs-137, that measured 0.9 Bq/m3 (or 0.0009 Bq/L if you modify the units like the professor).
The professor writes that in June 2013 there were “lower levels of 0.0003 Bq/L toward the coast” — This amount is not in the measurements for 2013, the only mention of it was in 2012: “Levels of 137Cs equal to 0.3 Bq/m3 measured at Sta. P26 in 2012.”
Last month in a Vancouver-area newspaper Prof. Cullen wrote: “the natural level of radioactivity on average in the oceans is about 13 Bq/L, against which radioactivity resulting from human activities and disasters should always be discussed.” What is the basis of this claim that “natural radioactivity levels should always be discussed” when “radioactivity resulting from human activities” is mentioned?

“In the ocean (and human body) different radionuclides have different fate and toxicity,” according to Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution’s senior scientist Ken Buesseler (who mentions his ability to be quoted in media reports downplaying Fukushima-related data).

Also be aware that fish can bio-concentrate cesium-137 at a rate of 100 times the level found in the surrounding water. For seals and sea lions it’s up to 1,000 times. (Source: IAEA)
This article copied in its' entirety from enews.

http://enenews.com/professor-fukushima-radioactive-material-reached-the-west-coast-as-of-june-2013-by-ocean-transport-health-risks-to-be-determined-by-ongoing-monitoring

I can only say this at this point. No matter what the level of radiation, it is destructive. We can do nothing about natural radiation. We can do nothing against cosmic radiation. We as a society can pressure the nuclear industry to crack down on maintaining the nuclear plants now operating. The genie was let out of the bottle in the early years of the atom and it will be hard trying to stuff the genie back in the bottle. The plants are already built and we need to bring pressure to bear on those who regulate the plants. This will only happen if we ban together. The largest influence are people themselves. Zorgon himself brought up the fact of "human tolerance." How much will human beings tolerate? How much will human beings care? Will human beings just sit and write about the problems and not get involved? Our fate is in our hands. What will we do as a species?

spacemaverick
01-11-2014, 08:43 PM
California Official: Information on risk from Fukushima needs to be made public — State in contact with NRC — CBS: ‘Health Scare Over Possible Fukushima Radiation In Pacific-Caught Fish’

http://enenews.com/california-official-information-on-risk-from-fukushima-needs-to-be-made-public-state-in-contact-with-nrc-cbs-health-scare-over-possible-fukushima-radiation-in-pacific-caught-fish-surfer

Taken from enews site

http://enenews.com/california-official-information-on-risk-from-fukushima-needs-to-be-made-public-state-in-contact-with-nrc-cbs-health-scare-over-possible-fukushima-radiation-in-pacific-caught-fish-surfer

This is what he said on his site:

http://www.asmdc.org/members/a25/press/wieckowski-urges-state-to-post-information-on-fukushima-disaster-s-risk-to-california-beaches

Wieckowski Urges State To Post Information On Fukushima Disaster’s Risk To California Beaches

SACRAMENTO - Saying that Californians are concerned and seeking information about potential health risks caused by contaminated water coming to the state from the Fukushima nuclear power plant disaster, Assemblymember Bob Wieckowski (D-Fremont) is urging the state’s Department of Public Health to post updated information on the issue to its homepage.

“With newspaper reports, on-line videos and a number of stories about the possible radiation dangers to our beaches, residents are concerned and seeking information from a source they can trust,” Wieckowski said. “I think a lot of people’s questions can be answered if the department would conduct a study or post the results of other studies and monitoring that are already completed to its homepage. The difficulty of finding accurate, current information about the science and the level of risk involved has exacerbated confusion and worry among some in the public.”

Wieckowski said the federal government has suggested Fukushima’s problems pose no risks to California’s coastal and estuarine lands. However, online speculation about contaminated water traveling to California, and higher than normal radioactivity levels on a California beach have increased the public’s concerns.

“Tourism, fishing, agriculture and outdoor recreation are among our most important assets,” Wieckowski said. “Millions of Californians live in communities that are directly impacted by contamination in the ocean. That’s why I think it’s important for the state Department of Public Health to put what information it has in layman’s terms onto its homepage so the public can see it and understand what, if any, risks or concerns are out there.”

Wieckowski represents the 25th Assembly District, which includes San Jose, Santa Clara, Milpitas, Fremont and Newark.

Below from a different source;

KSBW, Jan. 10, 2014: Zero threat of Fukushima radiation at California beaches, health officials say [...] there is also no risk of Fukushima radiation hitting the Monterey Bay. John Hodges, Santa Cruz County’s environmental health director, said, “We have no indication of anything that would be unusual here on our beaches.” Santa Cruz surfer Danilo TJ Magallanes disagrees, and said he would never go surfing right now.

Half Moon Bay, CA Patch, Jan. 9, 2014: Dean Peterson, Director for Environmental Health Services for San Mateo County [...] forwarded the issue to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and [the California] Department of Public Health to further analyze the radioactivity. “Because the level was higher, it is protocol for us to contact state and federal agencies for further investigation,” he said. CDHP has collected and will be analyzing sand samples from Half Moon Bay. [...] The agency has been in contact with the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) and they are monitoring the situation with the nuclear reactors in Japan, said [spokeswoman Wendy Hopkins].

Awareness of the situation is now hitting local officials a little bit at a time on the West Coast. I would say bring pressure to bear on your local officials in the city, county and state so they will bring pressure to bear nationally.

spacemaverick
01-12-2014, 07:33 AM
Yachtsman says the Pacific is broken. This is indeed an eyewitness story.

www.theherald.com.au/story/1848433/the-ocean-is-broken/

IT was the silence that made this voyage different from all of those before it.

Not the absence of sound, exactly.

The wind still whipped the sails and whistled in the rigging. The waves still sloshed against the fibreglass hull.

And there were plenty of other noises: muffled thuds and bumps and scrapes as the boat knocked against pieces of debris.

What was missing was the cries of the seabirds which, on all previous similar voyages, had surrounded the boat.

The birds were missing because the fish were missing.

Exactly 10 years before, when Newcastle yachtsman Ivan Macfadyen had sailed exactly the same course from Melbourne to Osaka, all he'd had to do to catch a fish from the ocean between Brisbane and Japan was throw out a baited line.

"There was not one of the 28 days on that portion of the trip when we didn't catch a good-sized fish to cook up and eat with some rice," Macfadyen recalled.

But this time, on that whole long leg of sea journey, the total catch was two.

No fish. No birds. Hardly a sign of life at all.

See more of this article from the New Castle Herald at the above link.

THIS IS FROM AN EYEWITNESS TO THE DEBRIS FROM AUSTRALIA TO OSAKA

spacemaverick
01-12-2014, 06:04 PM
UPDATE

Toll Mounts Among U.S. Sailors Devastated by Fukushima Radiation

Harvey Wasserman | January 11, 2014 11:41 am

From EcoWatch transforming green

The roll call of U.S. sailors who say their health was devastated when they were irradiated while delivering humanitarian help near the stricken Fukushima nuke is continuing to soar.

So many have come forward that the progress of their federal class action lawsuit has been delayed.

Bay area lawyer Charles Bonner says a re-filing will wait until early February to accommodate a constant influx of sailors from the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan and other American ships.

Within a day of Fukushima One’s March 11, 2011, melt-down, American “first responders” were drenched in radioactive fallout. In the midst of a driving snow storm, sailors reported a cloud of warm air with a metallic taste that poured over the Reagan.

Then-Prime Minister Naoto Kan, at the time a nuclear supporter, says “the first meltdown occurred five hours after the earthquake.” The lawsuit charges that Tokyo Electric Power knew large quantities of radiation were pouring into the air and water, but said nothing to the Navy or the public.

Had the Navy known, says Bonner, it could have moved its ships out of harm’s way. But some sailors actually jumped into the ocean just offshore to pull victims to safety. Others worked 18-hour shifts in the open air through a four-day mission, re-fueling and repairing helicopters, loading them with vital supplies and much more. All were drinking and bathing in desalinated water that had been severely contaminated by radioactive fallout and runoff.

the rest of the story;

http://ecowatch.com/2014/01/11/sailors-devastated-by-fukushima-radiation/

THIS IS INTOLERABLE WHAT OUR GOVERNMENT AND THE JAPANESE GOVERNMENT HAS ALLOWED TO HAPPEN AND NOT TAKE CARE OF THEM.

Garuda
01-13-2014, 05:11 AM
It's mind-boggling that none of this makes it to the MSM...

spacemaverick
01-13-2014, 06:02 AM
It's mind-boggling that none of this makes it to the MSM...

I have heard (not researched) that the 5 major media moguls are owned by defense contractors and to me that would make sense. Gives me something else to research. It's about the only thing that makes sense.

spacemaverick
01-14-2014, 06:01 AM
It appears the California school system has announced testing for Fukushima radiation.

California schools announce Fukushima testing: Imperative we monitor for any Fukushima contamination “that will be arriving this year” in ocean — LA Times claims levels are declining, fails to inform readers of radioactive plume crossing Pacific

http://enenews.com/california-professor-imperative-we-monitor-for-any-radioactive-contaminants-that-will-be-arriving-this-year-in-ocean-from-fukushima-l-a-times-claims-levels-are-declining-fails-to-inform

This link will hook you up with several reports about the monitoring of kelp and other things. People are becoming more aware of what is going on. Why is the mainstream media continuing to back off?

spacemaverick
01-14-2014, 06:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSz1wGc1PcU&feature=player_embedded

US Sailors Sue TEPCO for Radioactive Fallout Cover-Up

The lawyer tells the story.

spacemaverick
01-16-2014, 06:53 PM
I don't use Wikipedia much but here is a list of nuclear accidents up to 2012 that someone compiled. These are KNOWN accidents.

http://www.lutins.org/nukes.html

• Criticality Accidents (Trinity Atomic Web Site): www.cddc.vt.edu/host/atomic/accident/critical.html

• Government Accountability Project's Nuclear Oversight page: www.whistleblower.org/program-areas/environment/nuclear-oversight

• Nuclear Information and Resource Service: www.nirs.org

• Wikipedia articles:

o List of civilian nuclear accidents: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_civilian_nuclear_accidents

o List of civilian radiation accidents: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_civilian_radiation_accidents

o List of military nuclear accidents: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_military_nuclear_accidents

o List of nuclear and radiation fatalities by country: United States: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_and_radiation_fatalities_by_countr y#United_States

o List of nuclear power accidents by country: USA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_power_accidents_by_country

o Lists of nuclear disasters and radioactive incidents: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_nuclear_disasters_and_radioactive_inciden ts

o Nuclear and radiation accidents: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_accidents

o Nuclear reactor accidents in the United States: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_reactor_accidents_in_the_United_States

There may be more but the gentleman that compiled this can’t be totally positive about the number. There may be more we do not know about.

Power plants only 1961 to 2012

http://www.lutins.org/nukes.html#power

This man just lists the accidents and that's all.

spacemaverick
01-17-2014, 05:29 AM
LATEST UPDATE FROM ARNIE GUNDERSON

Interview with nuclear expert Arnie Gundersen of Fairewinds Energy Education, Power Hour, Jan. 16, 2014: “The most fascinating new thing is there’s a gamma ray haze over the plant. Gamma rays are like x-rays. Essentially, the entire plant has a gamma ray haze over it to the tune of about 1,000 millirem a year [...] There’s essentially a haze of radioactive particles.”

More about Bremsstrahlung: Gundersen: Fukushima tanks releasing x-rays in very high quantities offsite -- Exposure to people outside plant is very, very high from 'Bremsstrahlung' phenomenon -- Hundreds of tanks could easily start leaking after quake

http://enenews.com/gundersen-new-development-at-fukushima-entire-plant-has-a-gamma-ray-haze-over-it-a-haze-of-radioactive-particles-tepco-its-impossible-to-stop-using-mroe-shielding-wont-help-audio

Longeyes
01-17-2014, 07:18 AM
Hi spacemaverick saw this yesterday was done by a Japanese artist basically a very visual way of showing all the nuclear explosions since 1945

http://youtu.be/LLCF7vPanrY

spacemaverick
01-17-2014, 07:56 AM
Hi spacemaverick saw this yesterday was done by a Japanese artist basically a very visual way of showing all the nuclear explosions since 1945

http://youtu.be/LLCF7vPanrY

Longeyes, I appreciate that. I was looking for that and for some odd reason I was having trouble finding it. Add this to all the accidents and we have our head in the wrong place. Messing up our own world. I use to be a heavy proponent of nuclear power and that has changed back in 2011. I think I finally woke up.

epo333
01-17-2014, 10:49 AM
Longeyes, I appreciate that. I was looking for that and for some odd reason I was having trouble finding it. Add this to all the accidents and we have our head in the wrong place. Messing up our own world. I use to be a heavy proponent of nuclear power and that has changed back in 2011. I think I finally woke up.

I think that YouTube is on page three in this thread.

http://www.theoutpostforum.com/tof/showthread.php?664-Fukishima-Forty-million-Japanese-in-extreme-danger-possible-evacuation/page3

atmjjc
01-17-2014, 02:01 PM
Hey Spacemaverick, we appreciate very much all the effort and time you are putting in keeping us all informed about Fukushima.

This link below is somewhat off topic but does fall inline with the nuke video which was originally posted by Epo33 and Longeyes. It is an interactive map concerning fallout with known nuclear arsenal weapons of different countries and shows fallout and kill zones once detonated.

NUKE MAP---->http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

Longeyes
01-17-2014, 11:08 PM
I think that YouTube is on page three in this thread.

http://www.theoutpostforum.com/tof/showthread.php?664-Fukishima-Forty-million-Japanese-in-extreme-danger-possible-evacuation/page3

Apologies thought I had seen it somewhere else. Now I know where. :eek:

epo333
01-18-2014, 01:21 AM
Apologies thought I had seen it somewhere else. Now I know where. :eek:

Hey Longeyes, no apologies needed, it is all still good info.:thumbup:

spacemaverick
01-18-2014, 11:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGFqFVz37_4&feature=player_detailpage

From Andrew Ebisu activist and filmmaker

The Battle of Fukushima [On Fukushima Beach] 4 parts rolled into 1 documentary.

All my documentaries are posted on YouTube for free to anyone to see and remixable versions are posted also. If you cannot purchase or donate, please share and remix and burn your own copies to spread the truth. Thanks so much for your patience with this documentary.

I FOUND THIS TO BE VERY GOOD AND DEFINITELY WORTH WATCHING.

earthman
01-20-2014, 08:43 PM
Here is a report I just seen that Jerry Wills posted on his facebook account. Here is a link. It's a pdf file. Humm....... http://www.pices.int/publications/presentations/PICES-2013/2013-MEQ/MEQ-1700-Smith.pdf

CasperParks
01-21-2014, 12:24 AM
Fukushima Japan Nuclear Incident cannot be fixed. The event has taken place. There are somethings we are not capable of fixing. All that remains is environmental damage, sickness, mutations and death. Only an lengthy elapsing of time will dilute the fallout. Has anyone checked the Great Lakes?

It would be interesting to compile a list by date of environmental damage caused by big corporations. There is a trend....

Chemical spill that polluted water in W. VA.
Fracking that is polluting well water and causing earthquakes.
BP Gulf Oil disaster.
Train derailments where parts of cities and rural areas are evacuated.

And not one person is held legally and criminally liable.

CasperParks
01-21-2014, 12:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu8SHplUgxY
A large portion of the nations' food supply comes from the West Coast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNDEYdqgqI8
Price range on these things ranges from $10.00 on ebay to hundreds of dollars.

Insanely wild if people from all over the US and Japan, (mainly the West Coast and Japan) did readings and posted it online.

touched
01-23-2014, 06:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STSmFZeE50E

Fukushima - Nuclear physicist Michio Kaku

earthman
01-23-2014, 11:10 PM
I like Michio. He tells it like it is. They screwed up there. I still wonder if hitting it with a Nuke bomb would eat up the remaining fuel and make it safer. Even though fall out from a bomb would be bad but better then a uncontrolled meltdown like is happening.

earthman

touched
01-24-2014, 04:48 AM
Insanely wild if people from all over the US and Japan, (mainly the West Coast and Japan) did readings and posted it online.

Hi Casper. You can find voluntary sources here. There are others I do not trust. Using blackcatsystems, go to Japan at Fukushima and at times you can double click and receive past readings on a graph. Notice the spikes on the graph if you're able to pull it up. I think if you do you may see a trend. I believe this is the times when water is added and vapors are released.

http://www.radiationnetwork.com/

http://blackcatsystems.com/RadMap/map.html

Earthman - I agree about Michio Kaku. I believe in using the most reliable, qualified sources for info.

Cliff
(Cliff-67)

CasperParks
01-24-2014, 05:38 AM
Hi Casper. You can find voluntary sources here. There are others I do not trust. Using blackcatsystems, go to Japan at Fukushima and at times you can double click and receive past readings on a graph. Notice the spikes on the graph if you're able to pull it up. I think if you do you may see a trend. I believe this is the times when water is added and vapors are released.

http://www.radiationnetwork.com/

http://blackcatsystems.com/RadMap/map.html

Earthman - I agree about Michio Kaku. I believe in using the most reliable, qualified sources for info.

Cliff
(Cliff-67)

Thanks for the links.

spacemaverick
01-25-2014, 12:28 AM
It looks like we have some updated information from enews

http://enenews.com/newspaper-ignores-scientific-models-show-fukushima-radiation-impacting-west-coast-fails-inform-readers-reporting-only-discredited-tsunami-wave-height-map-illness-mind-people-lie-about-threat-map

"Newspaper ignores scientific models that show Fukushima radiation impacting West Coast — Fails to inform readers by only reporting on discredited tsunami wave-height map — “What illness of the mind must people have to lie about the threat?” (ACTUAL FORECAST MODELS)"

"The Province, Jan. 23, 2014: Without actual things to worry about, too many people these days are making up or exaggerating risks. Our recent story on the Fukushima Disaster is a good example. That was a terrible event, but what illness of the mind must people have to lie about the threat to B.C., even going so far as the misrepresent a wave-height map of the Pacific to pretend it shows that dangerous radiation is flowing to our shores?"

It looks like one map model has been misrepresented. They also add other models to the story on this link and makes you wonder what else is misrepresented.

spacemaverick
02-05-2014, 07:17 PM
Well, just found out some information and we were not told about it when it happened. Nice, really nice. Right here in my own back yard.

FUKUSHIMA ISSUE HITS MY HOME TOWN AND OUR COUNTY IN 2011 AND GOVERNMENT SAID NOTHING

Fukushima Radiation Fallout In Florida and the Indian River Lagoon Superbloom of 2011

Following the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant disaster on March 11, 2011, radioactive fission product material began to spread across the globe. As seen in this time lapse video map of Fukushima radiation distribution across the world, Florida had the meteorological bad luck of being under a concentrated atmospheric radioactive "swirl" from the second half of March through April 2011.

As a result, Melbourne, Florida in Brevard County recorded the highest single day concentration of Iodine-131 of anywhere in the world, according to measurements taken by the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty Organization. Xenon and Cesium were also detected in Melbourne. Additionally, Cesium-134, 136 and 137; Iodine-131 and 132; and Tellurium-129m and 132 were detected by air filters in nearby Orlando, Florida. North of the Indian River Lagoon, Cesium-134 and Iodine-131 were detected in rainfall in Jacksonville, Florida.

While the radioactive material was overhead and falling onto Florida, severe weather with strong winds, waterspouts, hail, and heavy rainfall fell over east Central Florida during the last few days of March.

For the rest of the story, see link below.

http://news.brevardtimes.com/2014/02/fukushima-radiation-and-americas.html?spref=fb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ohPgE9oDg9c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ohPgE9oDg9c

I live in Melbourne florida.

majicbar
02-05-2014, 08:08 PM
I like Michio. He tells it like it is. They screwed up there. I still wonder if hitting it with a Nuke bomb would eat up the remaining fuel and make it safer. Even though fall out from a bomb would be bad but better then a uncontrolled meltdown like is happening.

earthmanThis is not how things work, at best a nuke only burns a fraction of the fuel in the actual weapon, typically less than 15% from older sources, Hiroshima and Nagasaki were around 3-4%. The extreme temperatures of several million degrees would vaporize nearby materials, but this would only vaporize these radioactive materials and spread them more widely and more quickly. Additionally the nuke would generate daughter products of shorter half life that are more worrisome. Using a nuke could only make things worse and of more immediate impact.

Dragonfire
02-25-2014, 06:35 PM
Radiation from Japan's leaking Fukushima nuclear power plant has reached waters offshore Canada, researchers said today at the annual American Geophysical Union's Ocean Sciences Meeting in Honolulu.

Two radioactive cesium isotopes, cesium-134 and cesium-137, have been detected offshore of Vancouver, British Columbia, researchers said at a news conference. The detected concentrations are much lower than the Canadian safety limit for cesium levels in drinking water, said John Smith, a research scientist at Canada's Bedford Institute of Oceanography in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia.

Tests conducted at U.S. beaches indicate that Fukushima radioactivity has not yet reached Washington, California or Hawaii, said Ken Buesseler, a senior scientist at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute in Woods Hole, Mass.

"We have results from eight locations, and they all have cesium-137, but no cesium-134 yet," Buesseler said. (Isotopes are atoms of the same element that have different numbers of neutrons in their nuclei. In this case, cesium-137 has more neutrons than cesium-134.)

The scientists are tracking a radioactive plume from Japan's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant. Three nuclear reactors at the power plant melted down after the March 11, 2011, Tohoku earthquake. The meltdown was triggered by the massive tsunami that followed the quake.

Full story: http://local.msn.com/weathernews.aspx?q=%25city%25-%25regabbr%25&zip=%25zip%25&eid=%25eid%25

Pandora'sParadox
02-25-2014, 07:23 PM
...and my physics teacher said it was simple to run nuclear power...(having worked for the navy nuclear program)
Then why is Japan having sooo much difficulty with the process?
Has anyone else looked over the "Events diary" of Chernobyl experience? Interesting...O_o

majicbar
02-27-2014, 01:08 AM
http://www.opednews.com/articles/Documents-Say-Navy-Knew-Fu-by-Harvey-Wasserman-Fukushima_Fukushima-Cover-up_Radiation-140226-894.html

The Ronald Reagan might have to be mothballed, it ingested radioactive water throughout its internal plumbing and exposed it's sailors to unknown levels of radiation.

touched
04-15-2014, 03:00 AM
NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC

Fukushima Return: At Nuclear Site, How Safe is “Safe?”

Residents cleared to return after massive cleanup, but some wonder whether it's a bid to cut victim compensation.

For the first time since Japan’s Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power disaster three years ago, residents of a small portion of the surrounding restricted area are being allowed to return home, even though radiation levels remain elevated.

Continue Reading @
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/energy/2014/04/140402-fukushima-return-radiation/

majicbar
05-20-2014, 09:08 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/21/world/asia/fukushima-workers-fled-plant-after-accident-despite-orders.html?_r=0

400 pages of transcripts reveal more of what really happened and why things got so out of hand. It is hard to imagine an orderly Japan where workers and managers go rogue and become another part of the problem that was being faced in this disaster.

majicbar
06-13-2014, 08:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f46iXf865jM

As part of billion dollar lawsuit on behalf of crew of the Ronald Reagan the legal team made this vid. RIP to the sailor who has died from radiation exposure (claimed) and condolences to his family.

epo333
01-10-2015, 03:29 AM
Looks like the Fukushima Dai-ichi Nuclear Power Plant has fallen well off the News Tables....!

Here is a look at some pics.

http://cryptome.org/2014-info/dai-ichi-14-1219/dai-ichi-14-1219.htm

majicbar
01-10-2015, 04:29 AM
Last I heard the fuel rods at reactor 4 had been removed but the other reactors are still so 'hot' that they will not be unloaded for some time yet, unless new automated robots are developed for the task. The rise of the robots may be the only hope to resolve the crisis anytime soon. Groundwater is still an issue and wells to intercept this water may yet be required to prevent it from going into the sea.

majicbar
01-10-2015, 04:33 AM
...and my physics teacher said it was simple to run nuclear power...(having worked for the navy nuclear program)
Then why is Japan having sooo much difficulty with the process?
Has anyone else looked over the "Events diary" of Chernobyl experience? Interesting...O_o

NAVY nukes are a different design from those run commercially. Different too than those run by the Russian NAVY, which is why the NAVY has never had a failure of it's nukes and there have been lots of others that have failed.

epo333
08-09-2015, 01:01 PM

Fukushima Dai-ichi Nuclear Power Plant Series

Note the dates to right of each file . . .

https://cryptome.org/fukushima-dai-ichi-series.htm

Below is one file, of that series files.

On February 1, 2013, Tokyo Electric Power released over 100 Zipped files containing several hundred photos of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station taken from time of the tsunami on March 11, 2011 to April 11, 2011. They are among the earliest TEPCO photos which show the initial damage by the tsunami, aftermath of the explosions and efforts to survey, control and stabilize the plant. Most have not been widely published. These are selections.

http://cryptome.org/2013-info/04/daiichi-11-03-04/daiichi-11-03-04.htm

calikid
08-10-2015, 04:28 PM

Fukushima Dai-ichi Nuclear Power Plant Series

Note the dates to right of each file . . .

https://cryptome.org/fukushima-dai-ichi-series.htm

Below is one file, of that series files.

On February 1, 2013, Tokyo Electric Power released over 100 Zipped files containing several hundred photos of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station taken from time of the tsunami on March 11, 2011 to April 11, 2011. They are among the earliest TEPCO photos which show the initial damage by the tsunami, aftermath of the explosions and efforts to survey, control and stabilize the plant. Most have not been widely published. These are selections.

http://cryptome.org/2013-info/04/daiichi-11-03-04/daiichi-11-03-04.htm

Some dramatic photos. Some of the photos are hard to distinguish between the Tsunami damage and the blast damage.

On a related note, PBS (Public Broadcast System) broadcast a "Frontline" news program last week.
Inside Japan's Nuclear Meltdown

In the desperate hours and days after the Fukushima nuclear disaster, the fate of thousands of Japanese citizens fell into the hands of a small corps of engineers, firemen and soldiers who risked their lives to prevent the Daiichi nuclear complex from complete meltdown. This is their story, with rare footage from inside the plant and eyewitness testimony from the people on the frontlines.

See the Video Here (http://video.pbs.org/video/2202847024/).

majicbar
09-10-2015, 09:18 AM
Japanese typhoon floods are thought to be spreading radiation beyond the contaminated areas as if they haven't had enough problems already.

southerncross
09-17-2015, 02:10 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSz1wGc1PcU&feature=player_embedded

US Sailors Sue TEPCO for Radioactive Fallout Cover-Up

The lawyer tells the story.

Has there been any updates on where this has gone ?

southerncross
09-18-2015, 03:50 PM
I learned there were 5500 sailors on the US Ronald Reagon. That's a lot of people to be ill from their service to assist the injured of the Quake. They deserve to be heard and there's a good deal of evidence to be weighed.

This is a transcript of an interview that details some of the injuries sustained.

http://www.democracynow.org/2014/3/19/fukushima_fallout_ailing_us_sailors_sue

So, far I can't find a current article. The suit will no doubt grind on for some time.

calikid
09-18-2015, 04:41 PM
This video is a good followup (first aired on PBS July of 2015), to the Frontline video of 2012 (posted above).

Nuclear Meltdown Disaster (https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=AwrTcdvYMPxVZUIA8_onnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByNW U4cGh1BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=nova+minute+by+minute&back=https%3A%2F%2Fsearch.yahoo.com%2Fyhs%2Fsearch %3Fp%3Dnova%2Bminute%2Bby%2Bminute%26hsimp%3Dyhs-004%26hspart%3Dmozilla%26ei%3DUTF-8&fr=%26fr%3Dyhs-mozilla-004&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DWN.d SC2vNYwsassrO7%252fYEn1OA%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo.pbs.org%2Fvideo%2F23655358 96%2F&tit=Nuclear+Meltdown+Disaster&l=3172&vid=3a8e10dc22280d9ca47c116252cc4abe&sigr=11634dt8k&sigb=131b24gva&sigt=10p0qehvc&sigi=1216f5s1f&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-004) on NOVA
Go inside the Fukushima power plants for the

"Minute-by-Minute" story of what went wrong.
Airing July 29, 2015 at 9 pm on PBS

epo333
09-18-2015, 10:18 PM
I learned there were 5500 sailors on the US Ronald Reagon. That's a lot of people to be ill from their service to assist the injured of the Quake. They deserve to be heard and there's a good deal of evidence to be weighed.

This is a transcript of an interview that details some of the injuries sustained.

http://www.democracynow.org/2014/3/19/fukushima_fallout_ailing_us_sailors_sue

So, far I can't find a current article. The suit will no doubt grind on for some time.

SAN DIEGO (NNS) -- After nine years of calling Naval Air Station North Island its homeport, the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) departed San Diego for Fleet Activities Yokosuka, Japan, Aug. 31.

Here you'll find the current status of USS Ronald Reagan . . .(No mention of law suit though)

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=90860

southerncross
09-18-2015, 11:32 PM
This is likely a class action suit that not only will drag on in diplomatic circles but will result in a non disclosed settlement for these people. We'll never know how they were compensated and perhaps never know the full extent of their injuries. The US can not afford to risk poor relations with an ally when China is currently being difficult.

The US bought off the families that were injured due to the toxic fumes at Area 51. Why should this be different?

epo333
02-11-2017, 01:51 AM
Published on Feb 6, 2017

Radiation levels at one of Fukushima’s power stations is at its highest level since the tsunami-triggered meltdown almost six years ago, TEPCO reports. Safely dismantling the plant will prove an enormous challenge and is made even more difficult by this discovery. Radioactive waste monitor Kevin Kamps, of Beyond Nuclear, joins RT America’s Simone Del Rosario to explain the details of this ongoing catastrophe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KNTYP69TT4

southerncross
02-11-2017, 02:59 AM
I was going to post on this last night when I found I couldn't log in.

Levels are very dangerous and cameras malfunctioning.

"The radiation reading during the Thursday’s operation was 650 sieverts, Tepco said"
The camera was designed to handle up to 1000 sieverts, so something doesn't add up.
The long term health, water, and food chain effects, in my opinion, have only begun to be measured and this will affect many generations of Japanese and the Pacific and its food chain.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/fukishima-cleaning-robot-pulled-reactor-9789480?service=responsive

pontificator
02-11-2017, 11:14 AM
Personally, I'm not entirely sure why they are not using a fully mechanical mechanism. That would be where a single fibre-optic cable is used for carrying light to the main mechanism, another is used for observation of the lit area (if the end of a fibre-optic cable is vibrated it can create a cohesive image, a method available since the late 90's.) The remainder of the mechanism is tethered via a cable containing multiple wires. Through the pulling of the individual wires, the mechanism can be manipulated to perform various tasks (one wire causes a leg to bend, another to extend a leg etc.)

My brother had a simple car which could do this when he was younger, not including the optics of course, and such mechanisms are inherently immune to electrical interference. The point being, sometimes you have to use very basic things to get the job done in certain environments.

A99
02-11-2017, 06:24 PM
In light of this recent discovery of what's going on in Fukushima, I am appalled that the only thing Trump and the P.M. of Japan are talking about in Abe's current visit to the White House are discussions on trade and business between our two countries. Nothing is being reported in the news that they are talking about Fukushima too.

As for the dangers of radiation, knowing what I know, as a former x-ray tech. and the 2 yr. hospital training program for that, it completely blows my mind that more isn't being reported in the news about the urgency of this situation and its very real threat to our environment and all life on this planet.

As reported in the news, those radiation numbers at that plant are waaaaay out in the stratosphere to the point of incomprehension. This is not something that's going to go away. In fact, as we can see, it's going to continue to even get worse because we currently do not have the science and technology to be able to contain this situation and expedite truly viable solutions for it.

A99
02-11-2017, 06:29 PM
I think the prudent thing to do for all sentient beings on this planet is to pray for some kind of divine intervention that will, for once and for all, stop that radiation leakage, heal those who have cancer from it and save our planet from the damage already done to it as result of that accident. Presently, this is our only hope...

epo333
02-12-2017, 12:43 AM
In light of this recent discovery of what's going on in Fukushima, I am appalled that the only thing Trump and the P.M. of Japan are talking about in Abe's current visit to the White House are discussions on trade and business between our two countries. Nothing is being reported in the news that they are talking about Fukushima too.

As for the dangers of radiation, knowing what I know, as a former x-ray tech. and the 2 yr. hospital training program for that, it completely blows my mind that more isn't being reported in the news about the urgency of this situation and its very real threat to our environment and all life on this planet.

As reported in the news, those radiation numbers at that plant are waaaaay out in the stratosphere to the point of incomprehension. This is not something that's going to go away. In fact, as we can see, it's going to continue to even get worse because we currently do not have the science and technology to be able to contain this situation and expedite truly viable solutions for it.

There has been a News Black Out in Japan all along about the severity of the contamination, with extreme penalties from Japanese Government!!!

That's why we hear so very little about it.

IMO, in a the next 100 years that Island will have very few living inhabitants!!!

A99
02-12-2017, 02:35 PM
Newborn being checked for radiation exposure in Japan 70 miles outside of Fukushima at an evacuation center when that 7.3 mag. EQ hit Fukushima in 2016.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2011/04/01/world/asia/01japan/01japan-jumbo.jpg

Children Who Live Near Fukushima Have Alarming Cancer Rates

OKYO (AP) — A new study says children living near the Fukushima nuclear meltdowns have been diagnosed with thyroid cancer at a rate 20 to 50 times that of children elsewhere, a difference the authors contend undermines the government’s position that more cases have been discovered in the area only because of stringent monitoring. Most of the 370,000 children in Fukushima prefecture (state) have been given ultrasound checkups since the March 2011 meltdowns at the tsunami-ravaged Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant. The most recent statistics, released in August, show that thyroid cancer is suspected or confirmed in 137 of those children, a number that rose by 25 from a year earlier. Elsewhere, the disease occurs in only about one or two of every million children per year by some estimates. “This is more than expected and emerging faster than expected,” lead author Toshihide Tsuda told The Associated Press during a visit to Tokyo. “This is 20 times to 50 times what would be normally expected.” The study was released online this week and is being published in the November issue of Epidemiology, produced by the Herndon, Virginia-based International Society for Environmental Epidemiology.

http://www.sicknessonline.com/healthy-living/children-who-live-near-fukushima-have-alarming-cancer-rates/

A99
02-12-2017, 02:48 PM
IMO, in a the next 100 years that Island will have very few living inhabitants!!!

Rest assured, there won't be any babies and children living there.

As a mother, I would rather be on the streets of Bombay begging for food for myself and my children than living anywhere near Fukushima in a nice middle class neighborhood.

southerncross
02-20-2017, 12:41 AM
Another camera broke down at Fukishima.

"It’s now at least the seventh robot to have broken down while investigating Fukushima’s nuclear reactors, which remain highly radioactive. Reuters had counted up to five by March 2016. Last week, a scouting robot was sent in ahead to clear the way for the scorpion robot, but it was pulled back out after about two hours: the camera had been fried by record high levels of radiation estimated to be about 650 sieverts per hour. (For scale, a CT scan exposes you to 0.006 sieverts, and just half a sievert is enough to cause symptoms of radiation sickness.)"
http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/17/14652274/fukushima-nuclear-robot-power-plant-radiation-decomission-tepco

epo333
02-20-2017, 10:14 PM
Another camera broke down at Fukishima.

"It’s now at least the seventh robot to have broken down while investigating Fukushima’s nuclear reactors, which remain highly radioactive. Reuters had counted up to five by March 2016. Last week, a scouting robot was sent in ahead to clear the way for the scorpion robot, but it was pulled back out after about two hours: the camera had been fried by record high levels of radiation estimated to be about 650 sieverts per hour. (For scale, a CT scan exposes you to 0.006 sieverts, and just half a sievert is enough to cause symptoms of radiation sickness.)"
http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/17/14652274/fukushima-nuclear-robot-power-plant-radiation-decomission-tepco

Great video at that link southerncross, thanks!!!

A99
02-22-2017, 05:43 PM
http://www.ukprogressive.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/fukushima-1.jpg

So they're planning to hold the 2020 Tokyo Olympics in Fukushima even though they're calling it the 2020 Tokyo Olympics???! That's surreal.

http://www.ukprogressive.co.uk/fukushima-a-lurking-global-catastrophe/article61182.html

Meanwhile, the Abe administration dresses up Fukushima Prefecture for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, necessitating a big fat question: Who in their right mind would hold Olympics in the neighborhood of three out-of-control nuclear meltdowns that could get worse, worse, and still worse? After all, that’s the pattern over the past 5 years; it gets worse and worse. Dismally, nobody can possibly know how much worse by 2020. Not knowing is the main concern about holding Olympics in the backyard of a nuclear disaster zone, especially as nobody knows what’s happening. Nevertheless and resolutely, according to PM Abe and the IOC, the games go on.

epo333
12-22-2021, 01:00 AM
With all the dire events going on in the world, the MAJOR nuclear event of Fukushima sure fell off the radar for a while. Came across this today . . .

The operator of the damaged Fukushima nuclear plant is one step closer to releasing treated radioactive water into the Pacific ocean after applying for approval Tuesday to create a tunnel to the Pacific ocean to dispose of the water safely.

The nuclear power plant was severely damaged in 2011 after a massive earthquake triggered a tsunami that caused contamination of their cooling water, which then began leaking. The 1,000 tanks storing the contaminated water will reach capacity next year, the plant's operator, Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings (TEPCO), said.

TEPCO plans to create the sea tunnel so they can release a massive amount of treated radioactive water into the ocean. The Nuclear Regulation Authority needs to approve the plan, including the tunnel's design, equipment needed to dilute the water and other materials.

The contaminated water will be treated with seawater to reduce the levels of radioactive material to reach a safe level that won't harm the environment. The water will be released about half a mile from the plant and about 40 feet below the ocean's surface, according to TEPCO's plan.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/wrecked-fukushima-nuclear-plant-one-step-closer-to-releasing-radioactive-water-into-pacific/ar-AAS1U2n?ocid=msedgntp
. . .

I find it ridiculous for them to be using the word(s) "safe" and "safely" . . .

Go figure!

epo333
05-30-2023, 12:20 AM
IAEA team in Japan for final review

TOKYO (AP) — An International Atomic Energy Agency team arrived in Tokyo on Monday for a final review before Japan begins releasing massive amounts of treated radioactive water into the sea from the wrecked Fukushima nuclear plant, a plan that has been strongly opposed by local fishing communities and neighboring countries.

The team, which includes experts from 11 countries, will meet with officials from the government and the plant operator, Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings, and visit the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant during their five-day visit, the economy and industry ministry said.

Japan announced plans in April 2021 to gradually release the wastewater following further treatment and dilution to what it says are safe levels. The release is expected to begin within a few months after safety checks by Japanese nuclear regulators of the newly constructed water discharge facility and a final report by IAEA expected in late June.

The plan has faced fierce protests from local fishing communities concerned about safety and reputational damage. Nearby countries, including South Korea, China and Pacific Island nations, have also raised safety concerns.

more at link:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/iaea-team-in-japan-for-final-review-before-planned-discharge-of-fukushima-nuclear-plant-water/ar-AA1bPqFo?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=30f1069e73c040d79694363d0b37f12a&ei=34

Garuda
05-30-2023, 04:17 AM
Wasn't there a horror movie that started this way? With mutant fish, etc.?

epo333
05-30-2023, 03:06 PM
Maybe this one:

https://www.gbhbl.com/movie-review-snakehead-swamp-2014/

or

https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/33641-frankenfish

Real life results will probably be much worst in the long term!

Garuda
05-30-2023, 05:33 PM
Maybe this one:

https://www.gbhbl.com/movie-review-snakehead-swamp-2014/

or

https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/33641-frankenfish

Real life results will probably be much worst in the long term!

Thanks, but the one I was thinking of was way older than that.

Wally
05-30-2023, 10:51 PM
Are you thinking of Piranha 2? In one of the movies they could fly out of the water to attack people on the beach, if I recall correctly (was over 20 years ago).