PDA

View Full Version : GoDaddy Outage Takes Down Millions Of Sites, Anonymous Member Claims Responsibility

Fore
09-10-2012, 09:38 PM
According to many customers, sites hosted by major web host and domain registrar GoDaddy are down. According to the official GoDaddy Twitter account the company is aware of the issue and is working to resolve it. Update: customers are complaining that GoDaddy hosted e-mail accounts are down as well, along with GoDaddy phone service and all sites using GoDaddy’s DNS service.

Update 2: Anonymous is claiming responsibility. A member of Anonymous known as AnonymousOwn3r is claiming responsibility, and makes it clear this is not an Anonymous collective action.

I’ve been adding more information below as details emerge.

A tipster tells us that the technical reason for the failure is being caused by the inaccessibility of GoDaddy’s DNS servers — specifically CNS1.SECURESERVER.NET, CNS2.SECURESERVER.NET, and CNS3.SECURESERVER.NET are failing to resolve.

AnonymousOwn3r’s bio reads “Security leader of #Anonymous (~Official member~).” The individual claims to be from Brazil, and hasn’t issued a statement as to why GoDaddy was targeted.

Read More: http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/10/godaddy-outage-takes-down-millions-of-sites/

calikid
09-10-2012, 09:45 PM
knocked my site down.... AND all my godaddy email addy's are off line too.

Thanks for the heads up fore.

CasperParks
09-10-2012, 10:19 PM
knocked my site down.... AND all my godaddy email addy's are off line too.

Thanks for the heads up fore.

Ouch...

Fore
09-11-2012, 12:01 AM
Time to look over their SLA. (Service Level Agreement)

calikid
09-11-2012, 01:22 AM
Back online, 3 hours later. Let's see if it stays up!

majicbar
09-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Why isn't this kind of terrorism a capital offense?

Garuda
09-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Apparently it was an internal problem:

Yesterday, GoDaddy.com and many of our customers experienced intermittent service outages starting shortly after 10 a.m. PDT. Service was fully restored by 4 p.m. PDT. The service outage was not caused by external influences. It was not a "hack" and it was not a denial of service attack (DDoS). We have determined the service outage was due to a series of internal network events that corrupted router data tables. Once the issues were identified, we took corrective actions to restore services for our customers and GoDaddy.com. We have implemented measures to prevent this from occurring again.

At no time was any customer data at risk or were any of our systems compromised.

Throughout our history, we have provided 99.999% uptime in our DNS infrastructure. This is the level our customers expect from us and the level we expect of ourselves. We have let our customers down and we know it.

http://www.godaddy.com/newscenter/release-view.aspx?news_item_id=410

calikid
09-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Apparently it was an internal problem:

Yesterday, GoDaddy.com and many of our customers experienced intermittent service outages starting shortly after 10 a.m. PDT. Service was fully restored by 4 p.m. PDT. The service outage was not caused by external influences. It was not a "hack" and it was not a denial of service attack (DDoS). We have determined the service outage was due to a series of internal network events that corrupted router data tables. Once the issues were identified, we took corrective actions to restore services for our customers and GoDaddy.com. We have implemented measures to prevent this from occurring again.

At no time was any customer data at risk or were any of our systems compromised.

Throughout our history, we have provided 99.999% uptime in our DNS infrastructure. This is the level our customers expect from us and the level we expect of ourselves. We have let our customers down and we know it.

http://www.godaddy.com/newscenter/release-view.aspx?news_item_id=410

So much for the jerk taking credit..... or could this be a case of corporate coverup?

CasperParks
09-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Sometimes, I do not know what to believe.

Fore
09-11-2012, 11:14 PM
Sometimes, I do not know what to believe. Considering the amount of redundancy most providers have...suspicious to say the least.

There is a rule in infrastructure building that some want to be the status quo. It is called security through obscurity. It is applied even on controlling infrastructure surrounding nuclear plants.

The idea is, when there is an issue, "nobody say anything until we have fixed it". (and yes, that is punishable by law if you do go public with a critical exploit before making an effort to disclose it to the appropriate people.)

The question is, did the internal problems result from someone outside the company or internally. The GoDaddy people say "on record" that it is internal.

Considering how infrastructure is built these days, I find it a little hard to believe a short circuit or stray code somewhere could cripple three or more racks of servers.

calikid
09-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Got a "sorry about that" email from Godaddy today, along with this offer:

"As a result of this disruption, your account will be credited for the value of 1-month of service for each of your active/published sites.* This credit will be available to you for the next 7 days. Please click the button below to redeem your credit."

At least they put their wallet where them mouth is....

BTW, the email I received repeated the "it was an internal issue" email Garuda posted above.