PDA

View Full Version : Random Acts of Kindness Are Awesome!

lycaeus
10-10-2012, 04:24 AM
I don't want to sound like a gooey new ager, but I'm kind of on my moral high horse, and felt like sharing this, as cliche as it is. I'll remember it for the rest of my life.

My best friend Brian is one of the most caring and fun people I've met. He grew up in the worst of conditions. When he was 15, he was working 2 jobs to support his mom and younger brother. They never had any food or anything because his mom, as friendly as she is, just never worked pretty much ever despite her competency. Brian was more of a parent to her, so he grew up quick. I was over at their house on the weekend and noticed they had no food. I think there was margarine and a couple perogies, but other than that nothing, and they had zero money for the rest of the month. Brian told me he went to bed starving every night. He never asked for anything. So we went for a walk and I bought him lunch, then we went to the grocery store. I didn't have much money myself, but I figured if Im going to complain about the wealthy elite not sharing then I better walk my talk. I told him I needed some things. I told him get whatever you want, or else Im picking for you. He argued for me not to buy anything, but I told him to forget about it, its nothing. Anyways, long story short, we walked out with a cart full of a hundred dollars worth of food and stuff. Brian went all quiet.
We walked outside and I asked 'Are you okay?' and he got all teary eyed and started balling his eyes out, and we sat for a bit. I'll never forget that moment. I didn't think it was a big deal, but it was huge for him. I never expected a confident guy like Brian to start breaking down, but it just came out. Apparently that was more than his parents ever did for him. To me its just something you do, since were all one big human family. But I'll never forget him just bursting into tears out in public.
When we got in, his mom got all teary eyed too and gave me a big hug. It was a huge deal apparently.
I didn't expect it, but that little event made me happier than a hundred dollars worth of beer ever could. Im kind of jealous of married people with kids now because they always have someone to serve and make them feel good.:cool:

Garuda
10-10-2012, 04:51 AM
I don't want to sound like a gooey new ager, but I'm kind of on my moral high horse, and felt like sharing this, as cliche as it is. I'll remember it for the rest of my life.

My best friend Brian is one of the most caring and fun people I've met. He grew up in the worst of conditions. When he was 15, he was working 2 jobs to support his mom and younger brother. They never had any food or anything because his mom, as friendly as she is, just never worked pretty much ever despite her competency. Brian was more of a parent to her, so he grew up quick. I was over at their house on the weekend and noticed they had no food. I think there was margarine and a couple perogies, but other than that nothing, and they had zero money for the rest of the month. Brian told me he went to bed starving every night. He never asked for anything. So we went for a walk and I bought him lunch, then we went to the grocery store. I didn't have much money myself, but I figured if Im going to complain about the wealthy elite not sharing then I better walk my talk. I told him I needed some things. I told him get whatever you want, or else Im picking for you. He argued for me not to buy anything, but I told him to forget about it, its nothing. Anyways, long story short, we walked out with a cart full of a hundred dollars worth of food and stuff. Brian went all quiet.
We walked outside and I asked 'Are you okay?' and he got all teary eyed and started balling his eyes out, and we sat for a bit. I'll never forget that moment. I didn't think it was a big deal, but it was huge for him. I never expected a confident guy like Brian to start breaking down, but it just came out. Apparently that was more than his parents ever did for him. To me its just something you do, since were all one big human family. But I'll never forget him just bursting into tears out in public.
When we got in, his mom got all teary eyed too and gave me a big hug. It was a huge deal apparently.
I didn't expect it, but that little event made me happier than a hundred dollars worth of beer ever could. Im kind of jealous of married people with kids now because they always have someone to serve and make them feel good.:cool:

:w00t: