Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guerilla Novelist, Casper Parks - Updates

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cool Guerilla Novelist, Casper Parks - Updates

Updates from Guerilla Novelist, Casper Parks.

Ages Past and Perceptional Threshold.
    Now available in several countries, English version.
    E-book price in US is 99 cents, overseas will vary.
    Updated links, click title next to country.

Nook
    United States: Ages PastPerceptional Threshold
    United Kingdom: Ages PastPerceptional Threshold

(Available paperback at Barnes and Noble, Perceptional Threshold)

Kindle and Paperback Editions
    United States: Ages PastPerceptional Threshold
    Canada: Ages PastPerceptional Threshold
    United Kingdom: Ages PastPerceptional Threshold
    Germany: Ages PastPerceptional Threshold
    Italy: Ages PastPerceptional Threshold
    Spain: Ages PastPerceptional Threshold
    France: Ages Past Perceptional Threshold
    Japan: Ages Past Perceptional Threshold

Ages Past (teens and older)
    Epic Science Fiction.
    Much of what is discussed at The OutPost Form is within this book.

Perceptional Threshold (older teens and adults)
    Science fiction thriller that is fast-paced and action-packed.
    ***Warning***
    This story is not for those with health issues and faint of heart.
    Story is known to cause nightmares.

Attachment 875 Attachment 874
    Click cover for larger view
    Last edited by CasperParks; 12-17-2012 at 04:18 AM.

Anyone who missed this post (like me!) should give Casper's work a look. Guerrilla Novelist Casper Parks is innovative and energetic. Ideal for last minute Christmas shopping for your Sci-Fi reading friends...or yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Anyone who missed this post (like me!) should give Casper's work a look. Guerrilla Novelist Casper Parks is innovative and energetic. Ideal for last minute Christmas shopping for your Sci-Fi reading friends...or yourself.
    Glad you enjoyed them,

Thanks...

Casper Parks extends free e-books at i-Tunes and Kobo through May 2013.

Ages Past is free at Kobo Books and i-Tunes.
    Attachment 994

After Benjamin discovered a habitable planet, he negotiated opening the colony for human races from across the known universe. Before his home planet of Bootes had stepped into the heavens, many of the inhabitants were used in experiments by the Kohana (Greys). Humans from other star system feared those experiments had altered DNA of humans from Bootes. As an exchange of various human cultures is underway, those fears faded away.

When Jermack fell in love with a girl from another star system, Benjamin stood proud that his son led the way for others. A small number of non-human races were afraid of humans intermixing and creating a new race. In doing so, humans could request another seat on the Council of All and upset the balance of power. Opposed to the colony, a Cold Blooded Coalition formed and contacted the Kohana for help ending the new human colony.

Unknown to everyone, the Kohana (Greys) have plans of their own...

Perceptional Threshold is free at Kobo Books and iTunes.
    Attachment 995

Professor Andrew Hueser enlists his younger brother Peter and four other students in his special project, keeping the school board in the dark as to his true find, alien technology. Upon assembling and powering the equipment, he expected it opened a doorway to another planet or dimension. He was wrong. When stepping through the Door of Light, they bodies are transformed into a ghostlike state.

Adventurous, they set-out to explore the Hollywood Strip as ghosts. What they discover is horrific. They had opened a Passage onto a Ghostlike Prison Plane where Fallen Angels are imprisoned. They must make it back to the college alive, through the Door of Light and shut it down to prevent a massive prison break.

Aliens, Angels and Fallen Angels fighting an ongoing Ancient War, their prize humanity caught in the middle and not fully comprehending what is at stake.

From all side it becomes a Mad-Dash for the Door of Light.

Ages Past and Perceptional Threshold e-books are priced 99 cents US at Amazon and Barnes & Noble.
    Last edited by CasperParks; 05-05-2013 at 10:13 PM.

Last weekend e-Books are running free at i-Tunes and Kobo Books.
    After June 2nd 2013, pricing will be set at 99 cents US.

Quote Originally Posted by CasperParks View Post
    Casper Parks extends free e-books at i-Tunes and Kobo through May 2013.

Ages Past is free at Kobo Books and i-Tunes.
    Attachment 994

After Benjamin discovered a habitable planet, he negotiated opening the colony for human races from across the known universe. Before his home planet of Bootes had stepped into the heavens, many of the inhabitants were used in experiments by the Kohana (Greys). Humans from other star system feared those experiments had altered DNA of humans from Bootes. As an exchange of various human cultures is underway, those fears faded away.

When Jermack fell in love with a girl from another star system, Benjamin stood proud that his son led the way for others. A small number of non-human races were afraid of humans intermixing and creating a new race. In doing so, humans could request another seat on the Council of All and upset the balance of power. Opposed to the colony, a Cold Blooded Coalition formed and contacted the Kohana for help ending the new human colony.

Perceptional Threshold is free at Kobo Books and iTunes.
    Attachment 995

Professor Andrew Hueser enlists his younger brother Peter and four other students in his special project, keeping the school board in the dark as to his true find, alien technology. Upon assembling and powering the equipment, he expected it opened a doorway to another planet or dimension. He was wrong. When stepping through the Door of Light, they bodies are transformed into a ghostlike state.

Adventurous, they set-out to explore the Hollywood Strip as ghosts. What they discover is horrific. They had opened a Passage onto a Ghostlike Prison Plane where Fallen Angels are imprisoned. They must make it back to the college alive, through the Door of Light and shut it down to prevent a massive prison break.

Aliens, Angels and Fallen Angels fighting an ongoing Ancient War, their prize humanity caught in the middle and not fully comprehending what is at stake.

Ages Past and Perceptional Threshold e-books are priced 99 cents US at Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

Guerrilla Novelist Casper Parks is innovative and energetic. Ideal for your Sci-Fi reading friends...or yourself, Doc (TheOutPostForum).
    Ages Past (the isolation) now available at Kobo Books. (iTunes, pending)

When Jermack fell in love with a girl from another star system, Benjamin stood proud that his son led the way for others.

A small number of non-human races were afraid of humans intermixing and creating a new race. In doing so, humans could request another seat on the Council of All and upset the balance of power. Opposed to the colony, a Cold Blooded Coalition formed and contacted the Kohana for help ending the new human colony.

"The voice and style has a classy sound to it without going over the top," Bestselling Author Ralph Cotton.
    Perceptional Threshold now available at Kobo Books and iTunes.

"Perceptional Threshold delivers all of the right elements essential to good enjoyable fiction. Parks' work doesn't present itself as a debut novel, but rather as the efforts of an old hand and authority unique in presenting this fascinating look at the dimensional realities surrounding us in a cosmic forward roll of cause and affect," Bestselling Author Ralph Cotton.

Many scholars theorize the true age of the Sphinx is at roughly six to ten thousand years, much older than previously thought. We do not know who really built it and why. We know who changed the head, but what was there prior remains unknown.

It is my duty as a science fiction writer to have fun with those questions.

In Ages Past, Jermack and his friends constructed what we now call the Sphinx. Perhaps someday, we will know the Sphinx’s true origins.

The Sphinx: Older Than The Dynastic Egyptians?

The revisionists amassed an impressive amount of research that suggests an earlier date for the Sphinx. The Archeology PtB have so far held them off with a Credential Defense among other tactics. After some more old farts die off, maybe the revisionists will prevail. Meanwhile, there is the intriguing question of, "if not the historic Egyptians, then who?" Also, why would the Egyptians in a later era build the pyramids near a monument built by others? Great questions. Archeology and related fields like Paleontology and Anthropology are not precise sciences. Even though archeologists often speak with absolute certainty, their mountains of data are often strung together with informed guessing.

Word processing for me is second nature. 15 to 16 years ago, I roughed out Coming From Darkness on an old 1987 Mac. Averaged 80 to 87 words a minute free-flow.

Outlines for me are rare. I write flying by the seat of my pants. Most preferred to write using outlines. There was an old joke between published authors that went to college, “Those who can write do, those who can’t teach.” There is a vast difference between English taught in schools and writing fiction.

Conversion from Mac to PC was rough, then upgrading PC to PC to PC over the years, and updated newer word programs.

I write using Microsoft Word, using the same settings in a template set up by createspace.com. Settings for margins, plus top and bottom for distances from edge of page, watching to make sure it is not too far or too close to edge. I save as a word document. Newer word programs allow easy conversion to PDF if needed.

There are a number of smaller companies similar to create space. Create Space is owned by Amazon. Thus far, their customer service is great. CS allows writers to keep all their rights. Rights is something to watch for with many companies. Amazon was the first for Indies, and thus far treated them with respect.

Many indie writers do not use print books, only e-books.

I like the idea of having printed copies. Print makes a huge difference, the emotion and sense of accomplishment. CS charges a fee for expanded print distribution, last time I checked it was $35.00 US dollars.

At the moment, I am using size eleven font and Palatino Linotype.

Seems I always run into formatting issues however, those issues are easily resolved. After I confirm the print copy looks good, will post whatever the confirmed settings, font style and size are. For e-book distribution there a number of options. Smashwords, draft2digtial and or upload on your own, or a combo of it.

E-book distributers get a percentage of sales. In the past, I upload e-books on my own for Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Each store has its own formatting requirements. PDF for Amazon, and e-pub for Barnes & Noble.

I am giving draft2digital a try for i-Tunes and Kobo Books. Draft2Digtial is a new company. D2D has posted at their website that, they are working toward adding Google Play and Sony. Their customer service was decent. Smashwords was among the first to become a distributer for e-books. Smashwords seems to be a love/hate thing with a lot writers. I tried them a couple years ago, but customer service was lacking. Smashwords may have improved their customer service, not sure.

*Sony requires writers use an e-book distributer. I expect other e-retailers are moving that direction. Amazon, I expect will go unchanged.

When CFD goes into e-book, I am leaning toward draft2digital. I am hoping they have added Google Play and Sony. If not, I may give Smashwords another try.

Over the past twelve months, there have been a number of small changes with uploading e-books. Some places require using e-pub, others PDF files… Here is where the newer word programs are nicer. Older word programs do not always have that word to PDF conversion feature.

Distributers are nice, since they make the conversions for the author. *Very important, do not use a company that requires you give up your copyrights or a percentage of it to them.

The margin, top and bottom settings are different for e-books. If I forget to post those settings for e-book, please remind me.

1) Create Space has a nice feature for building covers. Providing you are using same cover for print and e-book, stay away from using their artwork and photos. Using their stock images will limit usage to Amazon only.

2) Creating a cover using gimp and similar programs is an option. Buying a cover can be tricky. Watch for scams where they demand a percent of copyrights and or ongoing usage for art fee that never ends. For CFD, I used http://www.selfpubbookcovers.com/index.php. A fee for the first 250,000 e-book and print sales. After 250,000 there is a second fee for unlimited usage. This is the first time I used a company like that. They have the two fees only. They do custom covers, but unsure what the charge is. CS offers professional built customer covers but it is costly.

3) Ages Past, I used a stock image from NASA and gimp to make it on my own. Should have had title up top and name on bottom. Nice thing about e-books stuff like that is easily fixed. Down the road, I plan to change the artwork for Ages Past.

Here is the fun part. What to do or not do…

Amazon has something called, Kindle Select. For KS the author must give Amazon a 90 day exclusives for e-books. The author must opt out prior the first 90 days ending or it renews on autopilot. KS allows writers a 5 day free promo give away once every 90 days. The promo days can be split up, running it free for two days, then a month later for three days, so long as it falls within that 90 days.

When I did my giveaways on Amazon for Threshold and Ages Past, ran it five days straight, timing it to go over a weekend. *Christmas is good time for a giveaway because people getting a Kindle Reader are looking for e-books.

Amazon is the largest player in the industry. Those giveaways do help move the title up in their algorithm. Draw back, using KS keeps the e-book from other stores like Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Google Play and others.

At this time, I am not sure about using Amazon’s Kindle Select Program for CFD.

Catch-22. Not using KS allows a broader base of people. Using Amazon’s KS program offers a great number of people downloading because of the promo giveaways. It’s about numbers. As much as I dislike locking CFD for the first 90 days with Amazon, more people will download it because of KS program.

Writers can publish to Amazon and not use their Kindle Select / Kindle Prime feature, but giveaways are not allowed. Writers can only do giveaways if enrolled in their Kindle Select / Prime program. I am up in the air on using Kindle Select / Prime for Coming From Darkness for those first 90 days.

Uploads for text formatting and cover size are different from print to e-book. That is where many people become intimidated. Don't feel that way, after a couple times of doing it - it becomes more of a nuisance than anything else.

Marketing! Word of mouth is best... Building a readership takes time. If a writer decides to spend money for ads, take care. There are vast numbers of wanna-be websites out there ready to take your money.

Again, I will post something about the process of writing Perceptional Threshold, Ages Past and Coming From Darkness. I have a number of other stories in process, the next forth one is nearing completion, and the fifth is well underway.

Invaluable Casper. I, along with others here, are newbies to this but the Indie publishing venue is here to stay.

Any comments on editing ? Do you self edit or do you have help ? I think once a writer has a book or two under their belt, editing becomes a limited thing, but an outside opinion is always useful.
    I will keep this information as I hope to be at the publishing point by winter. Writing and actually taking care of your life and marriage are challenging. Also, writing right now is my secret as I am not telling anyone in my family or close circle. I'm keeping the energy to myself. The minute I start talking, is when I stop creating. So I just deal with squeezing work in right now.

Do keep adding things as you get time as this is very beneficial. Again, my thanks Casper. Let us know how your strategy is working at marketing and how the book is received. Best of luck with it.