Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DMT: The Spirit Molecule

DMT: The Spirit Molecule

spiritmolecule.jpg

The information provided here is to give insight into a documentary called DMT: The Spirit Molecule which was about a psychedelic drug known as dimethyltryptamine, which is not fully understood by scientists but is regarded by many to be a very important molecule

Dimethyltryptamine

N,N-Dimethyltryptamine (DMT) is a naturally occurring psychedelic compound of the tryptamine family. DMT is found in several plants,[3] and also in trace amounts in humans and other mammals, where it is originally derived from the essential amino acid tryptophan, and ultimately produced by the enzyme INMT during normal metabolism.[4] The natural function of its widespread presence remains undetermined. Structurally, DMT is analogous to the neurotransmitter serotonin (5-HT), the hormone melatonin, and other psychedelic tryptamines, such as 5-MeO-DMT, bufotenin, and psilocin (the active metabolite of psilocybin).
    In some cultures DMT is ingested as a psychedelic drug (in either extracted or synthesized forms).[5] When DMT is inhaled or consumed, depending on the dose, its subjective effects can range from short-lived milder psychedelic states to powerful immersive experiences, which include a total loss of connection to conventional reality, which may be so extreme that it becomes ineffable.[6] DMT is also the primary psychoactive in ayahuasca, an Amazonian Amerindian brew employed for divinatory and healing purposes. Pharmacologically, ayahuasca combines DMT with an MAOI, an enzyme inhibitor that allows DMT to be orally active.[7]

WikiPedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyltryptamine

DMT: The Spirit Molecule (book) by Dr Rick Strassman.

About the Book
    In 1990, I began the first new human research with psychedelic, or hallucinogenic, drugs in the United States in over 20 years. These studies investigated the effects of N,N-dimethyltryptamine, or DMT, an extremely short-acting and powerful psychedelic. During the project's five years, I administered approximately 400 doses of DMT to 60 human volunteers. This research took place at the University of New Mexico's School of Medicine in Albuquerque, where I was a tenured Associate Professor of Psychiatry.

I was drawn to DMT because of its presence in all of our bodies. Perhaps excessive DMT production, coming from the mysterious pineal gland, was involved in naturally occurring "psychedelic" states. These states might include birth, death and near-death, psychosis, and mystical experiences. Only later, while the study was well under way, did I also begin considering DMT's role in the "alien abduction" experience.

The DMT project was founded on cutting-edge brain science, especially the psychopharmacology of serotonin. However, my own background powerfully affected how we prepared people for, and supervised, their drug sessions. One of these was a decade-long relationship with a Zen Buddhist training monastery.

"DMT: The Spirit Molecule" reviews what we know about psychedelic drugs in general, and DMT in particular. It then traces the DMT research project from its earliest intimations through a maze of committees and review boards to its actual performance.

Our research subjects were healthy volunteers. The studies were not intended to be therapeutic, although all of us believed in the potentially beneficial properties of psychedelic drugs. The project generated a wealth of biological and psychological data, much of which I have already published in the scientific literature. On the other hand, I have written nearly nothing about the volunteers' stories. I hope these many excerpts from over 1000 pages of my bedside notes provide a sense of the remarkable emotional, psychological, and spiritual effects of this chemical.

Problems inside and outside of the research environment led to the end of these studies in 1995. Despite the difficulties we encountered, I am optimistic about the possible benefits of the controlled use of these drugs. Based upon what we learned in the New Mexico research, I offer a wide-ranging vision for DMT's role in our lives, and conclude by proposing a research agenda and optimal setting for future work with DMT and related drugs.

The late Willis Harman possessed one of the most discerning minds to apply himself to the field of psychedelic research. Earlier in his career, Willis had published the first and only scientific study using psychedelics to enhance the creative process. When I met him 30 years later in 1994, he was President of the Institute of Noetic Sciences, an organization founded by the sixth man to walk on the moon, Edgar Mitchell. Mitchell's mystical experience, stimulated by viewing the Earth on his return home, inspired him to study phenomena outside the range of traditional science, which, nevertheless, might yield to a broader application of the scientific method. Read more here: http://www.rickstrassman.com/index.p...d=54&Itemid=54

More about Rick Strassman, MD http://www.rickstrassman.com/

DMT: The Spirit Molecule (Documentary)

SYNOPSIS

THE SPIRIT MOLECULE weaves an account of Dr. Rick Strassman's groundbreaking DMT research through a multifaceted approach to this intriguing hallucinogen found in the human brain and hundreds of plants. Utilizing interviews with a variety of experts to explain their thoughts and experiences with DMT within their respective fields, and discussions with Strassman’s research volunteers brings to life the awesome effects of this compound, and far-reaching theories regarding its role in human consciousness .

Several themes explored include possible roles for endogenous DMT; its theoretical role in near-death and birth experiences, alien-abduction experiences; and the uncanny similarities in Biblical prophetic texts describing DMT-like experiences. Our expert contributors offer a comprehensive collection of information, opinions, and speculation about indigenous use of DMT, the history and future of psychedelic research, and current DMT research. All this, to help us understand the nature of the DMT experience, and its role in human society and evolution.

The subtle combination of science, spirituality, and philosophy within the film’s approach sheds light on an array of ideas that could considerably alter the way humans understand the universe and their relationship to it.

RICK STRASSMAN’S OVERVIEW FROM HIS BOOK DMT: THE SPIRIT MOLECULE
    In 1990, I began the first new human research with psychedelic, or hallucinogenic, drugs in the United States in over 20 years. These studies investigated the effects of N, N-dimethyltryptamine, or DMT, an extremely short-acting and powerful psychedelic. During the project's five years, I administered approximately 400 doses of DMT to 60 human volunteers. This research took place at the University of New Mexico's School of Medicine in Albuquerque, where I was tenured Associate Professor of Psychiatry. I was drawn to DMT because of its presence in all of our bodies. Perhaps excessive DMT production, coming from the mysterious pineal gland, was involved in naturally occurring "psychedelic" states. These might include birth, death and near-death, psychosis, and mystical experiences. Only later, while the study was well under way, did I also begin considering DMT's role in the "alien abduction" experience. The DMT project was founded on cutting edge brain science, especially the psychopharmacology of serotonin. However, my own background powerfully affected how we prepared people for, and supervised, their drug sessions. One of these was a decades-long relationship with a Zen Buddhist training monastery.

The Spirit Molecule examines what we know about psychedelic drugs in general, and DMT in particular. It then traces the DMT research project from its earliest intimations through the maze of committees and review boards to its actual performance.

Our research subjects were healthy volunteers. The studies were not intended to be therapeutic, although all of us believed in the potentially beneficial properties of psychedelic drugs. The project generated a wealth of biological and psychological data, much of which I have already published in the scientific literature. On the other hand, I have written nearly nothing about volunteers' stories. I hope these many excerpts from over 1000 pages of my bedside notes provide a sense of the remarkable emotional, psychological, and spiritual effects of this chemical.
    hich nevertheless might yield to a broader application of the scientific method.

More here- DMT: The Spirit Molecule website: http://thespiritmolecule.com/film.html

The teaser trailer to the documentary DMT: The Spirit Molecule.

The Spirit Molecule explores the enigmatic dimethyltryptamine (DMT), a molecule found throughout nature, and considered the most potent psychedelic. In 1995, Dr. Strassman completed the first government-sanctioned, psychedelic research on DMT, with results that may answer humanitys greatest questions.

DMT: The Spirit Molecule Teaser

DMT: The Spirit Molecule YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/dmttsm
    .................................................. .................................................. .................

Anyone here looked into DMT?

DMT - The Spirit Molecule - Documentary Interviews - Part 1 of 5

I've read the book, watched the film & smoked DMT several times, it is quite an unsual journey... even for those experienced in psychedelics I think its very different.

I like how it seems to take most people in a spiritual direction even if they are not pre-disposed to that mindset.
    I also like that knowing connection with the universe/divine spirit/everything/mother nature/god (if you don't have issue with the words it doesn't really matter what you label it)

I would be intersted to hear what people consider 'breaking through' the first time I thought I had (broken through) I was hit by the revelation that we always break through even when we've had a minute amount that apears to do very little its just that the experience is so brief that we can't remember it (a bit like the info downloading experience that I sometimes get as I'm coming out of it)

Anyway I would be excited to hear all your points of view on DMT & your experiences ...Koisoteric
    Last edited by Koisoteric; 12-05-2011 at 08:06 PM.

Koisoteric,

I have had it myself, I didn't make the breakthrough though!

I basically just tripped. I saw the geo-metric patterns and what looked like things made out of the patterns. I did it twice and both times I more or less had the same experience!

I used to smoke weed and did for like 12 years, since I've stopped I feel I have lost the leather lungs needed to inhale the right amount and to hold it in. It was not the substance's fault, there was nothing wrong with the DMT we had, my bro and cousin saw it all, it was an experience in itself sitting silent observing them too!

What are your thoughts on the place your consciousness is sent to, the divine realm? Just another dimension? Do you believe what you saw was real or just a hallucination?

Hi Nighthawk good thread.
    Somtimes I doubt I actually 'broke through' it was quite vague & I communicated with a female entity through telepathy, I can't really remember her visualy except the theme of black & red checkerboard patterns (this theme has been in nearly all my DMT experiences) her arms were black & red & she communicated to me that she knew me or at least we had met before and I had been there before.

Several friends & myself discused the 'other place' that most people seem to reach & most agreed it was like an inbeween realm inhabited by what we termed technicians of the universe some kinda 'back room' tech guys that make things run smoothly. (Terence McKenna called them the 'self transforming machine elves') although not everyone goes to the same place of course

I try to live the 'Maybe logic' philosophy so nothing I state is pinned down as 100% for me.
    To try & answer your question I certainly didn't get to the divine realm/god that some of the high dosed people in Strassmans experiment seemed to reach, but I did get a blissfull connection to nature/life/the universe.

I suppose it depends on how you define a hallucination? many people use that term dismissively thinking a halucination is in ones own head & holds no weight, I don't really think that explanation is helping anyone understand anything.
    I think its the experience that counts and if somthing can be learned from a so called hallucination I believe that is the way forward.
    I have had many experiences on DMT that could be framed as hallucinations by the sceptic... e.g a severed branch of a tree that I picked up before I smoked the DMT became so full of life it was breathing in my hands & half way up was a vag-ina! not really a sexual thing tho more of a 'birthing life' kinda feel to it.

My point is that particular experience is better not dismissed as nonsense or hallucination in your own head, but try to amalgamate what you felt into your belief structure. For me that experience with the living tree branch definately made me feel closer to nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Koisoteric View Post
    Hi Nighthawk good thread.
    Somtimes I doubt I actually 'broke through' it was quite vague & I communicated with a female entity through telepathy, I can't really remember her visualy except the theme of black & red checkerboard patterns (this theme has been in nearly all my DMT experiences) her arms were black & red & she communicated to me that she knew me or at least we had met before and I had been there before.

Several friends & myself discused the 'other place' that most people seem to reach & most agreed it was like an inbeween realm inhabited by what we termed technicians of the universe some kinda 'back room' tech guys that make things run smoothly. (Terence McKenna called them the 'self transforming machine elves') although not everyone goes to the same place of course

I try to live the 'Maybe logic' philosophy so nothing I state is pinned down as 100% for me.
    To try & answer your question I certainly didn't get to the divine realm/god that some of the high dosed people in Strassmans experiment seemed to reach, but I did get a blissfull connection to nature/life/the universe.

I suppose it depends on how you define a hallucination? many people use that term dismissively thinking a halucination is in ones own head & holds no weight, I don't really think that explanation is helping anyone understand anything.
    I think its the experience that counts and if somthing can be learned from a so called hallucination I believe that is the way forward.
    I have had many experiences on DMT that could be framed as hallucinations by the sceptic... e.g a severed branch of a tree that I picked up before I smoked the DMT became so full of life it was breathing in my hands & half way up was a vag-ina! not really a sexual thing tho more of a 'birthing life' kinda feel to it.

My point is that particular experience is better not dismissed as nonsense or hallucination in your own head, but try to amalgamate what you felt into your belief structure. For me that experience with the living tree branch definately made me feel closer to nature.
    Koisoteric,

check your pm's.

My experience was the most intense feeling I've ever had, very scary, the type of thing I wouldn't wish in my worst enemy! Just at the point when I felt as though I was gonna stop breathing (this is meant to happen by the way) I was telling myself "this is meant to happen, I'm ok" just to keep calm and go with it, right at that point after I'd say not feeling three breaths it all stopped and I could just see this octopus like swirling pattern in front of me all intertwining into itself!

The second time, my body recognized the intense feeling and I coped a whole lot better, again though I didn't go anywhere, just tripped. My whole vision was covered with certain colours that made up a crazy like picture in which I have found somewhere that looks just like what I saw, I will find it to put on here!

I wanted to comment on the machine elves. My cousin saw the machine elves after about one minute into the trip, he saw them with his eyes open just appear in front of him on a sort of round wheel thing and they was working on it somehow making it turn! He was staring at something and we were like he's going all the way here. As he was looking at the these elf/gnome like things he said he started to get the feeling like I did as if he was gonna stop breathing " he said he thought to himself "****, I've had too much here, WTF have I done" and then while trying to breath, an air bubble like off a cartoon come out of his mouth and the elf popped it, this happend about four times, four bubbles popped by one of the elves. After the fourth bubble he conked out and was gone for like two maybe two and a half minutes and then all of a sudden he moved his head as if looking at something following it but with his eyes closed and said "this is it, this is, yeah it is, it is" in an ecstatic type way and then sort of was humbled to the core but still tripping.

Afterwards when explaining what happend he explained seeing the elves first then stopping breathing after they popped the bubbles, then he said he was in this place that was pure white light and it was as though he was travelling or being guided through it by someone that he could not see but felt they loved him, he felt as though this presence was god whatever god maybe. The he saw a man and woman holding a baby and they were made of light, he could feel the love from the family and they looked at him and smiled. It seemed to him that he was shown humanity in our rawest most natural form and the message he was getting was that love is everything, we all meet up one day that the only thing that matters is love!

There was a little more and I skipped a bit but I don't want to bore you with every little detail. Even my own trip there was more but nothing in comparison to my cousins, he saw it all.

My brother had it aswel and saw nothing but patterns and colours made of light, womens legs opening and closing making shapes, crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post

There was a little more and I skipped a bit but I don't want to bore you with every little detail. Even my own trip there was more but nothing in comparison to my cousins, he saw it all.

My brother had it aswel and saw nothing but patterns and colours made of light, womens legs opening and closing making shapes, crazy.
    I won't get bored of reading other peoples DMT experiences... although you can Never give the experience the justice it needs in written form or verbal for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Koisoteric View Post
    I won't get bored of reading other peoples DMT experiences... although you can Never give the experience the justice it needs in written form or verbal for that matter.
    That's right, words can't explain the things you see!