Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mars

Mars

Giant Mars crater shows evidence of ancient lake

From NBC news: New photos of a huge crater on Mars suggest water may lurk in crevices under the planet's surface, hinting that life might have once lived there, and raising the possibility that it may live there still, researchers say.
    Read more at NBC News, click here.

When looking at some of the Mars images from orbit I've often thought to myself that some of the terrain looks a lot like glacial terrain buried in dirt, so maybe we will someday have areas that prove to be buried glaciers and this crater may have indeed found some of the buried glaciers.

Quote Originally Posted by majicbar View Post
    When looking at some of the Mars images from orbit I've often thought to myself that some of the terrain looks a lot like glacial terrain buried in dirt, so maybe we will someday have areas that prove to be buried glaciers and this crater may have indeed found some of the buried glaciers.
    Agree on terrian dirt covering glaciers.

I am of the mindset, there is a lot of underground water on Mars.

Question Curiosity rover spots a rodent on mars?

Humor

A little fun is needed now and then for moral.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it? Al Einstein

More evidence of water on Mars.

Mars Water: Buried Channels Discovered On Planet May Be Evidence Of Ancient 'Megafloods'

LOS ANGELES -- The face of Mars is dotted with a maze of channels, pointing to possible ancient megaflood episodes.

Now scientists peering below the surface have uncovered the first evidence of underground channels apparently created by flooding – a finding that's expected to further illuminate the role of water in Mars' history.

Using a ground-piercing radar sensor aboard the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, a team of scientists created 3-D maps of an equatorial region known as Elysium Planitia and the channels that run underneath the plains.

Besides the contributions from rovers and landers, "our view of the red planet has largely been restricted to looking at the surface" from orbiting spacecraft, said lead researcher Gareth Morgan, a planetary scientist at the Smithsonian Institution.

The research, published online Thursday in the journal Science, offers a new perspective below the Martian surface and hints of past flooding at a time when the planet was mostly thought to be cold and desert-like. The channels remained hidden because the once volcanically active region had been filled in by lava flows hundreds of millions years ago.

Read more at Huffington Post.

Mars Curiosity Rover Finds Proof Life Could Have Thrived on Planet in Past.

NASA’s Curiosity rover, drilling into a rock near its landing site, has found clear evidence that Mars, eons ago, could have supported living microbes. Mission scientists said today, in the words of Mike Meyer, NASA’s chief Mars scientist, they’ve found “all the signs of being a habitable environment at one time.”

Scientists said they had found from previous missions that the Martian surface was once warm and wet, but now they say Curiosity has given them evidence the water was much like water on Earth — not too briny, salty or alkaline for living things.

“We have found a habitable environment that is so benign and supportive of life,” said John Grotzinger, Curiosity’s project scientist, “that if you had been on Mars, the water would have been pure enough to drink.”

Read more and watch video at ABC.
    Could not find upload of video at youtube.

"Read more and watch video at ABC."

"Could not find upload of video at youtube."

And so why did you try to find it on YouTube? I'll bet going to ABC will give you a stronger chance of finding it, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by majicbar View Post
    "Read more and watch video at ABC."

"Could not find upload of video at youtube."

And so why did you try to find it on YouTube? I'll bet going to ABC will give you a stronger chance of finding it, IMO.
    The embeded code for posting the video from ABC to TOP would not work.

Quote Originally Posted by CasperParks View Post
    The embeded code for posting the video from ABC to TOP would not work.
    There is a conflict in my computer over allowing the "Flash Player" to work, perhaps this is why the ABC site does not work. It drives me NUTS this conflict between Microsoft and other vendors.