Thread: FBI: “discs recovered”, Air Force “greatly concerned”, “at a complete loss” + more memos

FBI: “discs recovered”, Air Force “greatly concerned”, “at a complete loss” + more memos

Before posting some thoughts and queries regarding material on this website relevant to the Aviary and related issues, I thought (as a sort of introduction of myself and my work) I'd post about a collection of searchable versions of FBI documents relevant to ufology that I've uploaded to a directory at the link below.
    http://tinyurl.com/b5k6xkd

By clicking on an option at the top right of that webpage, you can download all of these FBI files with a single click (which is considerably less time consuming than going to the individual links for each file on the FBI websites).

Due to the bandwidth problems that a couple of people encountered last time I previously posted (with the permission of the Canadian government) a popular collection of UFO documents on the Box.com file storage website, this time I’ve also uploaded the same FBI material to the "Skydrive" file storage website at the link below (which can, hopefully, also be downloaded easily by going to "Folder actions" on the top left of the screen and selecting "download folder") :
    http://sdrv.ms/TpBPYS

The downloadable collection of PDF files at the links above is limited to documents from the FBI websites themselves (both the FBI’s current “Vault” website and the FBI’s previous FOIA website), but goes beyond the 16 files labelled “UFO” on the FBI website. This collection also includes the FBI files on NICAP (a UFO group), cattle mutilations, the MJ-12 documents, extrasensory perception, Carl Sagan, Nikola Tesla, Wilhelm Reich, Jack Parsons and Silas Newton.

Some highlights from that collection are given in my lengthy post at the link below. Various issues requiring follow-up action and research are also indicated (particularly in Part G and Part H): http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread924183/pg1

That lengthy post is split into the following sections:

Part A : A brief introduction

Part B : Files labelled “UFO” from current FBI website
    Part B1 : Roswell and Hoover on access to “discs recovered” (1947)

Part B2 : The toilet seat upset (1947)
    Part B3 : The Guy Hottel memo (1950)
    Part B4 : Were UFOs a secret military project?
    Part B5 : The Air Force and Men In Black
    Part B6 : Air Force “greatly concerned” memo (1952)

Part B7 : Air Force at a “complete loss” memo (1952)

Part B8 : FBI forensic examination in scoutmaster case (1952)
    Part B9: Lonnie Zamora sighting at Socorro (1964)
    Part B10 : “Alien” photo in FBI files (1967)
    Part B11 : Other documents that caught my eye
    Part B12 : FBI responses to queries about its involvement in UFO investigations

Part C : Relevant files not labelled “UFO” from FBI current website
    Part C1 : Majestic 12
    Part C2 : Bluebook
    Part C3 : NICAP
    Part C4 : Roswell
    Part C5 : Guy Hottel
    Part C6 : Silas Newton
    Part C7 : Carl Sagan
    Part C8 : Cattle mutilations
    Part C9 : Extrasensory perception

Part D : Recovered additional files that used to be on the FBI website
    Part D1 : Jack Parsons
    Part D2 : Wilhelm Reich
    Part D3 : Nikola Tesla

Part E : Unrecovered additional files that used to be on the FBI website
    Part E1 : Philip Corso

Part F : Files on other websites purporting to be FBI releases
    Part F1 : Philip Corso
    Part F2 : J Allen Hynek
    Part F3 : Phil Klass
    Part F4 : L Ron Hubbard / Church of Scientology

Part G : Files not online purportedly released to some researchers
    Part G1 : Files listed by Nick Redfern
    Part G2 : Jan Aldrich’s list
    Part G3 : Barry Greenwood’s list

Part H : Conclusion

Part I : References

Part J : Postscript

All the files that I cover in Part B, Part C and Part D are available in the collection of FBI files at the link at the start of this page.

Those members fairly familiar with the FBI documents relating to UFOs which are already available online are urged to head straight to Part G and Part H (the Conclusion) of that lengthy post in the hope that the issues arising from those Parts can be taken forward.

The material in Part G and Part H (particularly the former) should, at the very least, give some ideas for focused Freedom Of Information Act requests to the FBI, so that complete copies of the files mentioned in those categories can be added to the above collection of files.

Frankly, I think that ufology could benefit considerably from making more underlying documentation easily available in a searchable format.

Once downloaded, the entire directory of FBI files at the links above can be read or searched quickly and easily (together with, if you wish, archives of UFO discussion lists, various UFO magazines/journals, other official documents, UFO books, academic dissertations relating to UFOs etc).

I hope that this downloadable archive of searchable FBI documents is useful to members of this forum.

That is fantastic, Isaac. Thanks!
    The OutPost Forum - "Breaking the Boundaries of Science, Exploring the Frontier of Understanding"

I seem to have embedded tiny thumbnails rather than full size images in my post.

(I can't edit my own post to sort that the image links, presumably being on some sort of probation as a new member posting my first few posts).

Sorry about that. Just a teething problem when posting on a new forum and getting used to the way things work...

thanks Isaac for this webpage
    now I know what i'll do in next few nights
    It have more info than i thought they would

Quote Originally Posted by RedFeather View Post
    thanks Isaac for this webpage
    now I know what i'll do in next few nights
    My pleasure. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by RedFeather View Post
    It have more info than i thought they would
    Well, there are quite a few further files that appear to have been released over the years to a few researchers which aren't covered in my post - because they aren't available (so far as I've been able to find) online or in print.

I'm rather reluctant to both the FBI with FOIA requests for material already held by some UFO researchers - which is why I sought some help in locating and scanning some of those previously released files.

I think a bit more coordination of UFO research by the various researchers and UFO groups would help reduce the amount of reinvention of the wheel.

One of the (many) problems within ufology is that discussions of relevant issues/material are so fragmented between many, many different websites, forums, groups and publications. Trying to join up the dots can be, well, frustrating!

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacKoi View Post
    I seem to have embedded tiny thumbnails rather than full size images in my post.

(I can't edit my own post to sort that the image links, presumably being on some sort of probation as a new member posting my first few posts).

Sorry about that. Just a teething problem when posting on a new forum and getting used to the way things work...
    The forum software limits the number and size of pictures. There are no restrictions on new members related to posting pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacKoi View Post
    My pleasure. Have fun!

Well, there are quite a few further files that appear to have been released over the years to a few researchers which aren't covered in my post - because they aren't available (so far as I've been able to find) online or in print.

I'm rather reluctant to both the FBI with FOIA requests for material already held by some UFO researchers - which is why I sought some help in locating and scanning some of those previously released files.

I think a bit more coordination of UFO research by the various researchers and UFO groups would help reduce the amount of reinvention of the wheel.

One of the (many) problems within ufology is that discussions of relevant issues/material are so fragmented between many, many different websites, forums, groups and publications. Trying to join up the dots can be, well, frustrating!
    Thanks for posting that great resource! I like the idea of trying to get information collected in one place so the "reinvention" is less necessary. We have a dedicated section here for Reference Material and one for the cases with the Best Evidence. Any member is free to add to those sections and to expand their use in any creative ways they might invent. Mods and Admins are available to assist or to clarify limits.