Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The McMinnville case revisited

The McMinnville case revisited

It took almost six month for our team (Geoff Quick, Francois Louange and myself) to do the work but finally we succeed to put on-line the final report for this old (1950) case, revisited with the IPACO software.

The report can be read HERE

Of course, the case is still open and I would be glad to discuss it either here or on our IPACO forum.
    IPACO, the new tool for photo and video analysis is now on-line! www.ipaco.fr

11A, That is excellent. I must commend you on your report.
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
    Sherlock Holmes

Yes, excellent report, indeed.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Outstanding work! Thanks to all involved for the time and effort and for sharing your report here. All things considered I think the hanging model hypothesis the most likely explanation.

Clearly IPACO is a very useful and powerful tool. I look forward to further reports and detailed analysis, not only on well known historical images but also those that might emerge in future. Thanks again!
    The OutPost Forum - "Breaking the Boundaries of Science, Exploring the Frontier of Understanding"

Great work A11!

Some time ago, someone doing research on the photos came to the conclusion the UFO was a late 1940s Ford Mirror (the mirror below is from 1948):

The basic shape (surfaces) and mounting post seem to match up with the "UFO" in the photo, the timing of the two photos made in 1950 make it a possibility.

M

Mmm, yes, very curious, very interesting...

Thank you everyone for the kind words!

I'm actually in touch with Bruce Maccabee about some points that need to be cleared about this case (and thanks to him for the original hi-res photos):

1- Maccabee said that "to have a nearby object would require light emanating from the bottom, which makes the simple hanging of a pie-plate or truck mirror less likely."; OK, but what about a translucent (or semi-translucent) model? He did mention the possibility in its on-line analysis, talking about some experimentation he have done about this point, but without exposing these further.
    I'm not sure if he is aware of the work done by Mr Claude POHER back in 1977 about McMinnville (the report for the French CNES was unfortunately only written in French, but I can do a translation if necessary). To make it short, he agreed with the translucent model hypothesis, but its conclusion (mainly based on ground experimentations as well) was exactly the opposite of Maccabee's one, i-e that a "translucent model made of opal plastic material" could have been used.
    Anyway, if a hoax, one have to prove that the model/material used could be easily be found by the Trent back in 1950; I guess that a translucent plastic model would not be that easy to find. Any ideas about this point?

2- Oddly, I haven't found anywhere the mention of a possible underneath hollow model. What about this hypothesis (that is possibly not incompatible with the hypothesis of an outside rear-view mirror)?

3- I recently saw on an Internet UFO blog the mention of a 30s separation time between the two shoots, this blog quoting as the source of this affirmation a magazine: "Official UFO" from 1977. I have found the magazine and bought it and did find that this data was given by "David A. Kennedy" in an letter to the editor-in-chief of this magazine. Any input about this data?

@Marvin: Interesting! Do you remember where this idea came from?

Do you think that it could be possible to remove the mirror so the bottom view would be hollowed underneath?
    IPACO, the new tool for photo and video analysis is now on-line! www.ipaco.fr

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    Great work A11!

Some time ago, someone doing research on the photos came to the conclusion the UFO was a late 1940s Ford Mirror (the mirror below is from 1948):

The basic shape (surfaces) and mounting post seem to match up with the "UFO" in the photo, the timing of the two photos made in 1950 make it a possibility.

M
    Yeah, that would make sense. Size looks about right, 6 inches? It could also explain the odd angle of the central tower.

Edit: 11A, I think it would be very easy to break out the mirror leaving a hollow concave bottom. I would also expect the inside to be much darker and rougher, just as you theorized.
    The OutPost Forum - "Breaking the Boundaries of Science, Exploring the Frontier of Understanding"

As for the translucent model material from the "50"s, how about milk glass...

il_570xN.309379511.jpg

or the top of a bowl likr this...

20120926_065214.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by epo333 View Post
    As for the translucent model material from the "50"s, how about milk glass...

il_570xN.309379511.jpg

or the top of a bowl likr this...

20120926_065214.jpg
    Could be, but I think that the odd angle of the central tower strongly suggests a 1950s Ford wing mirror.

Bruce Maccabee has practically written a Master's thesis on this case. One thing I find very interesting is more than one person at the time of the original investigation and since has stated that the Trents were simple people and not capable of pulling off a sophisticated hoax; one even hinting politely that he thought the Trents might be a little "slow".

http://www.brumac.8k.com/trent2.html

Someone is going to have to show me the string.