Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another planet discovered with water!

Blog Entries
    There are perhaps 150 billion planets in the galaxy. We're not going to visit them by tying firecrackers on our asses and blasting off into near space -no matter how much of our silly scrip we invest in the task. What is required is a new understanding of temporal reality upon which to found a new physics. Such a breakout requires imagination, not a trivial will based on dollars.
    "Toon, with an attitude like that I'm surprised you're not in jail". Brother Dankk

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    'The SETI Institute says the restart of the search is thanks to funding raised via the Web--the SETIStars program has raised more than $200,000 in online donations--as well as additional funds from the U.S. Air Force.'

I noticed that too. Interesting that the USAF would be interested in rebooting the program.
    Very interesting that the Air Force would be contributing funding to SETI. The government seemed to be washing its hands of the whole project. But then again, this wouldn't be the first project to go from public funding into the "black".

Blog Entries
    SETI's scattergun approach has heretofore been useles as tits on the proverbial boar. Now that it has promising areas upon which to focus it may just bear fruit.
    "Toon, with an attitude like that I'm surprised you're not in jail". Brother Dankk

Seti always makes me think of "Contact". I wonder if they had any idea how inadequate the search was when they first set it up? In retrospect its value may have been more in PR than in practical terms. They showed that we could start someplace and do better as we learned more. I like that.

As for the book "Contact" the Jackrabbits out in the desert actually do sit in a long row beside the road and watch the cars going by on some hot summer nights. Very strange to see.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noot View Post
    There are perhaps 150 billion planets in the galaxy. We're not going to visit them by tying firecrackers on our asses and blasting off into near space -no matter how much of our silly scrip we invest in the task. What is required is a new understanding of temporal reality upon which to found a new physics. Such a breakout requires imagination, not a trivial will based on dollars.
    Firecracker technology would be useful in exploring and even colonizing planets and moons within our solar system but anything else for deep exploration would be total nonsense due to enormous distances involved. Let us assume we do manage to travel FTL, even many times faster, we would then have another obstacle to overcome which would be causation.

I do agree with you 100% that the only way, with our present knowledge, to travel the great distances involved and to understand life out there would be by the temporal reality you suggest.

Now on the other hand within the present framework of our scientific communities most knowledge out there is compartmentalized and it would take some effort to bring this knowledge together for a common cause. To use an example would be in the study of molecular relocation which is now being formulated at major universities and is not confined by distance. This may take us into the spooky world of quantum physics but it is something that might be attainable in the future for deep space exploration.