Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another planet discovered with water!

Another planet discovered with water!

I heard about this today although I have not had time to read the article yet.......very cool though

We really need to get out there and explore...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CasperParks View Post
    Sadly until some breakthrough in propulsion systems is discovered, our chemical rockets just won't cover the lightyears distances we would need to travel.

Where is Scotty's warp drive when we really need it!
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

This is all we got for now

The search for aliens is back on--and newly confirmed Earthy-ish planet Kepler 22-b is among the top targets.

SETI's Allen Telescope Array (ATA) is once again searching for extra-terrestrial life after spending several months in hibernation. The University of California cut funding to the program due to budget constraints, and last April the ATA ceased its obsessive habit of intense inter-galactic eavesdropping. The array "listens" across a broad range of frequencies for any radio transmissions from, well, somewhere else.
    The SETI Institute says the restart of the search is thanks to funding raised via the Web--the SETIStars program has raised more than $200,000 in online donations--as well as additional funds from the U.S. Air Force.
    The announcement comes as NASA also announced this week that its Kepler mission had confirmed the first Earth-like planet in a habitable zone where liquid water and life might exist. The planet, dubbed Kepler 22-b, is 600 light years away and roughly 2.5 times the size of Earth. Scientists believe surface temperatures to be comfortably around 70 degrees (Fahrenheit).
    The Air Force will be conducting a formal assessment of the ATA's utility for "Space Situational Awareness," according to the SETI Institute. One of SETI's first tasks after rebooting will be resuming exploration of thousands of planet "candidates" identified by NASA's Kepler space telescope, including 22-b.
    "For the first time, we can point our telescopes at stars, and know that those stars actually host planetary systems--including at least one that begins to approximate an Earth analog in the habitable zone around its host star," said Jill Tarter, director of the Center for SETI Research at the SETI Institute.

more at the link

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...-alien-search/

Blog Entries
    I did see that article. Very interesting.
    Wonder what strings are attached to the USAF funds?

Maybe we can BEAM a wave towards Kepler-22b and see if their SETI has it's ears on....
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    I did see that article. Very interesting.
    Wonder what strings are attached to the USAF funds?

Maybe we can BEAM a wave towards Kepler-22b and see if their SETI has it's ears on....

'The SETI Institute says the restart of the search is thanks to funding raised via the Web--the SETIStars program has raised more than $200,000 in online donations--as well as additional funds from the U.S. Air Force.'

I noticed that too. Interesting that the USAF would be interested in rebooting the program.
    American by birth, Cherokee by blood and Southern by the Grace of God!

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    'The SETI Institute says the restart of the search is thanks to funding raised via the Web--the SETIStars program has raised more than $200,000 in online donations--as well as additional funds from the U.S. Air Force.'

I noticed that too. Interesting that the USAF would be interested in rebooting the program.
    Years ago, I had the SETI at home monitor set up on my PC searching for signals.

Blog Entries
    Years ago, I had the SETI at home monitor set up on my PC searching for signals.
    I have seti on a few of my computers, for those interested in the program you can download it at the link below. They even have teams—maybe a TOP team?

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/
    Last edited by atmjjc; 01-15-2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: spelling

Yes we do....
    IMAGINE ALL the money that has been spent on war that could have gone to Space Exploration....

When I was watching the Mercury, Gemini, and the Apollo missions as a child I really thought we would be in space by this time.
    I figured when I was 'old' I would be in space.
    (well I was a kid then and anything after the year 2000 seemed a long ways away and I would be OLD...)

I am willing to bet a lot of us back then thought we would be on Mars by now with colonies and so forth...
    The Moon would have been 'old news' by this time.