Thread: Oz X-Files : “authenticated sighting”, “appear to be inexplicable”, USA “very interested"

Oz X-Files : “authenticated sighting”, “appear to be inexplicable”, USA “very interested"

With the permission of the National Archives of Australia (on behalf of the Commonwealth Government of Australia), I've uploaded searchable PDF files containing over 10,000 pages of Australian UFO documents to a free file storage website ("WeTransfer") at the link below:
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/cmn8gxu

I’ve also uploaded the same material to the link below (and, unlike the above link, it will remain active after 6 May 2013). Unlike the above link, the link below allows you to download single files (in case you only want to view a sample file or download a specific reference). By going to "Folder actions" on the top left of the screen and selecting "download folder", you can download all of these Australian UFO files with a single click from the “Skydrive” website. Due to Microsoft’s rules in relation to large downloads, those using the link below to download the entire collection need to enter (or create) details of a free Microsoft account.
    http://sdrv.ms/11oocLy

In short, use the Wetransfer link above if you want the entire collection and it is before 6 May 2013. Use the Skydrive link above if you only want a single file or it is after 6 May 2013.

These documents were downloaded from over 75 different files on the website of the National Archive of Australia, using the Wget software and a short (but very useful) batch script written with help from of a couple of AboveTopSecret.com members (particularly Armap and Kronz).

All the files are sourced from the website of the National Archives of Australia. The website of the National Archives of Australia has images of many documents relating to UFOs. However, that website can be a bit slow and doesn’t allow the content of the UFO files to be browsed rapidly or searched. The PDF archive that I’ve uploaded should, therefore, make it easier and quicker to browse material as well as enabling the documents to be searched.

Some highlights from that collection are given in my lengthy post at the link below.
    http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread942661/pg1

(I'm still uneasy about posting a link here to another forum, so if any moderator wants to delete that link then that's fine. I'd be happy with that entire post being duplicated here. It's just the time and effort involved that make me post the above link instead).

That lengthy post is split into the following sections:

SECTION A : THIS BRIEF INTRODUCTION

SECTION B : BACKGROUND - UFOS OVER OZ

SECTION C : USA “VERY INTERESTED” (1953)

SECTION D : SIGHTINGS BY “OUR HIGHLY TRAINED SELVES”
    SECTION D1 : THE MEN FROM THE MINISTRY
    SECTION D2 : THE SEA FURY / NOWRA INCIDENT (1954)
    SECTION D3 : FLIGHT LIEUTENANT SCOTT’S SIGHTING (1952)

SECTION E : THE TURNER REPORT (1954)

SECTION F : MINISTER’S “PERSONAL” INVESTIGATION (1954)

SECTION G : SOME REPORTS “APPEAR TO BE INEXPLICABLE” (1957)

SECTION H : IT WASN’T VENUS (1971)

SECTION I : REVEREND GILL SIGHTINGS (1959)

SECTION J : THE VALENTICH DISAPPEARANCE (1978)

SECTION K : MISCELLANEOUS DOCUMENTS

SECTION L : SCRIPT FOR DOWNLOADING

SECTION M : CONCLUSION

SECTION N : REFERENCES

SECTION O : POSTSCRIPT

I wonder how many members of the UFO community are familiar with the content of these documents, including:

(1) A report produced for the Australian government by the same Professor in Melbourne University’s Physics Department in 1954, which concluded that (if the intelligence reports in a book by Donald Keyhoe were authentic) “then the evidence presented is such that it is difficult to assume any interpretation other than that unidentified flying objects are being observed ... it is highly improbable that such objects have a terrestrial origin”.

(2) Criticisms of the Australian government statements on UFOs by a scientist that worked for the government (the same one that had earlier been the in Melbourne University’s Physics Department in 1954), which included noting that an identification list of all sightings made between 1960 and 1965 contained “15 identifications of Venus, not one of which is valid. In every case Venus was in a totally different part of the sky or not even above the horizon”. That scientist commented that “this off-hand unscientific attitude to identification did not escape the notice of the press or various scientists”.

(3) One government Minister (R G Casey) at one point considered some UFO reports “unexplained on any rational hypothesis”.

(4) A letter dated 1st April 1957 from the Director of Air Force Intelligence to the Director of the Joint Intelligence Bureau which states that many UFO reports “cover such mundane things as meteorological and astronomical phenomena” but went on to say “others appear to be inexplicable”.

(5) A letter from the US Embassy in Australia to the Australian Directorate of Air Force Intelligence stating “my headquarters is very interested in receiving reports of all unusual sightings not only in this area but all over the world”.

(6) The file devoted to one incident includes a document written by Captain Adams (the Director of Naval Intelligence) referring to the case as “a well authenticated sighting”.

I've said it before (please forgive my repeating myself...): I think that ufology could benefit considerably from making more underlying documentation easily available in a searchable format.
    Last edited by IsaacKoi; 04-24-2013 at 02:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    This is awesome and must have taken a lot of work. Thank you Isaac.
    www.disclosurebeginsathome.wordpress.com
    Disclosure begins at home so start a conversation about UFOs.
    "Debunkers are like school yard bullies." - Kevin Smith to Leslie Kean, August 31, 2010

That indeed is great. Thanks !!!
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

That's a heck of a file. I'm over a terabite so far on my skydrive. Can't wait to go through it. Still loading....

Outstanding, Isaac.

Awesome Isaac great work

Thanks for the kind words. I hope that some of you find this archive of documents useful/entertaining.

I hope to be able to post a few more archives in the not-too-distant future.
    Last edited by IsaacKoi; 04-24-2013 at 05:53 PM.

Outstanding work Isaac! And thanks for sharing!
    The OutPost Forum - "Breaking the Boundaries of Science, Exploring the Frontier of Understanding"

Isaac, great job and thanks for posting.