Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind the NSA surveillance revelations

Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind the NSA surveillance revelations

Breaking News:

Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind the NSA surveillance revelations
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...r-surveillance

Brief summary of this long news article:

The individual responsible for one of the most significant leaks in US political history is Edward Snowden, a 29-year-old former technical assistant for the CIA and current employee of the defence contractor Booz Allen Hamilton.

Snowden has been working at the National Security Agency for the last four years as an employee of various outside contractors, including Booz Allen and Dell.

The Guardian, after several days of interviews, is revealing his identity at his request. "I have no intention of hiding who I am because I know I have done nothing wrong," he said.

Snowden will go down in history as one of America's most consequential whistleblowers, alongside Daniel Ellsberg and Bradley Manning.

"I don't want public attention because I don't want the story to be about me. I want it to be about what the US government is doing."
    "I know the media likes to personalise political debates, and I know the government will demonise me."

At the NSA office in Hawaii where he was working, he copied the last set of documents he intended to disclose.

"That is not an uncommon occurrence for someone who has spent the last decade working in the intelligence world."

He worked in the US intelligence world for almost a decade.

The NSA police and other law enforcement officers have twice visited his home in
    Hawaii and already contacted his girlfriend, though he believes that may have been prompted by his absence from work, and not because of suspicions of any connection to the leaks.

Or the Chinese government might whisk him away for questioning, viewing him as a useful source of information.

"Yes, I could be rendered by the CIA. I could have people come after me. Or any of the third-party partners. They work closely with a number of other nations. Or they could pay off the Triads. Any of their agents or assets," he said.

The only time he became emotional during the many hours of interviews was when he pondered the impact his choices would have on his family, many of whom work for the US government.

Snowden did not always believe the US government posed a threat to his political values. His family moved later to Maryland, near the NSA headquarters in Fort Meade.

By his own admission, he was not a stellar student.

In 2003, he enlisted in the US army and began a training program to join the Special Forces.

After he broke both his legs in a training accident, he was discharged.

After that, he got his first job in an NSA facility, working as a security guard for one of the agency's covert facilities at the University of Maryland. From there, he went to the CIA, where he worked on IT security.

By 2007, the CIA stationed him with diplomatic cover in Geneva, Switzerland. His responsibility for maintaining computer network security meant he had clearance to access a wide array of classified documents.

"Much of what I saw in Geneva really disillusioned me about how my government functions and what its impact is in the world," he says.

He said it was during his CIA stint in Geneva that he thought for the first time about exposing government secrets.

He left the CIA in 2009 in order to take his first job working for a private contractor that assigned him to a functioning NSA facility, stationed on a military base in Japan.

His allegiance to internet freedom is reflected in the stickers on his laptop: "I support Online Rights: Electronic Frontier Foundation," reads one.

"That has not happened before," he said, betraying anxiety wondering if was real, a test or a CIA ploy to get him out onto the street.

Ever since last week's news stories began to appear in the Guardian, Snowden has vigilantly watched TV and read the internet to see the effects of his choices.

As for his future, he is vague.
    HTML Code:
    For it is in giving that we receive.
    ~ St. Francis of Assisi

A True American Hero!
    HTML Code:
    ~ St. Francis of Assisi

Indeed a true hero.
    The public should decide.
    This kinda of power in the wrong hands is catastrophic.
    Some kind of risk in our lives has to be advisable in the face of this unfettered abuse of privacy.

Blog Entries
    Most likely in a week or so Edward Snowden will not even be remembered by the American public and it will be business as usual and he will just become a side note in history.

Hero he is...
    We control matter because we control the mind. Reality is inside the skull.
    ~ George Orwell ‘1984’

Monitoring is becoming as they are, a hive-mind.

PRISM is not being set up to protect the common people and its gov'ts. That's not its real purpose. PRISM was implemented to allow the elite access to crucial information that they can tap into in order to gain financially on a global level. THAT, is the BOTTOM-LINE.

IOW, we have to ask the question, how have the elite and those in power benefited from the implementation of PRISM? Will they be able to gain financially by, for example, having access to information that may boost inside trading in the stockmarket?

Thanks to PRISM, the rich are going to get richer and the common man is going to be left further and further behind. That precarious demarcation between the 'haves' and the 'have nots' is going to continue to grow where someday, in the near future, that gap will be so wide, our world will not even be recognizable anymore because by then, we, the common people, will be fighting for our very existence.
    Last edited by A99; 06-10-2013 at 02:32 PM.
    HTML Code:
    ~ St. Francis of Assisi

I think some lines have already been crossed into privacy rights and I have doubts that whether those actions can be reversed. Some courageous people are speaking up and that is encouraging. This is definitely a time to be thinking about our own approach to how we maintain our own privacy.

I think it's pretty clear that the President, as an individual, not a public policy leader, has some very very dark personal days ahead. His career is imploding.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by southerncross View Post
    I think it's pretty clear that the President, as an individual, not a public policy leader, has some very very dark personal days ahead. His career is imploding.
    He did have some strong opinions Pro-Privacy during the campaign.
    Recent policy would seem to contradict his promises.
    Big disappointment, but after all he IS a politician so, I should not be surprised.
    Just prepared to defend my rights without his help.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    Going to be an up hill battle for President Obama to convince Xi to rein in his internet hackers with such revelations...
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008