Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Emerging Surveillance State?

Question Emerging Surveillance State?

From Washington Post:

The faces of more than 120 million people are in searchable photo databases that state officials assembled to prevent driver’s-license fraud but that increasingly are used by police to identify suspects, accomplices and even innocent bystanders in a wide range of criminal investigations.

The facial databases have grown rapidly in recent years and generally operate with few legal safeguards beyond the requirement that searches are conducted for “law enforcement purposes.” Amid rising concern about the National Security Agency’s high-tech surveillance aimed at foreigners, it is these state-level facial-recognition programs that more typically involve American citizens.

The most widely used systems were honed on the battlefields of Afghanistan and Iraq as soldiers sought to identify insurgents. The increasingly widespread deployment of the technology in the United States has helped police find murderers, bank robbers and drug dealers, many of whom leave behind images on surveillance videos or social-media sites that can be compared against official photo databases.

But law enforcement use of such facial searches is blurring the traditional boundaries between criminal and non-criminal databases, putting images of people never arrested in what amount to perpetual digital lineups. The most advanced systems allow police to run searches from laptop computers in their patrol cars and offer access to the FBI and other federal authorities.

Read more click here:
    or
    Watch video click here:
    Evidence of emerging Police / Surveillance State?

Blog Entries
    I'd say so.

There's something similar to that on facebook now. I uploaded some pictures and on the wall, in the background, there's a picture of Jimi Hendrix. The facebook computer cropped out and zoomed in on Jimi's face. It then asked me who it was and conveniently opened a preselected box for me to type a name into.

Blog Entries
    Haha, just wait until Google Glass is widespread, that'll open up a whole new level of this.

Blog Entries
    No not Goggle Glass! I can't even stand touchscreens because they don't have real buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by CasperParks View Post
    Evidence of emerging Police / Surveillance State?
    Once established these programs seem to always grow, never shrink. A line was crossed when we upped surveillance after 9/11. The renewal of these measures that were supposed to sunset a few years ago was crossing another line. Restoring privacy is going to take a lot of protest and hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by lycaeus View Post
    I'd say so.

There's something similar to that on facebook now. I uploaded some pictures and on the wall, in the background, there's a picture of Jimi Hendrix. The facebook computer cropped out and zoomed in on Jimi's face. It then asked me who it was and conveniently opened a preselected box for me to type a name into.
    That is not a good sign!

NSA's PRISM program is confirmed as reality.

These videos are also linked at other threads within TOPF.

Each points toward what could be considered as an Emerging Surveillance State.

Stuff They Don't Want You To Know give a brief history lesson on the NSA.

AmidsTheNoise does a decent job of explaining what META Data is and how it can be used.

Even if not monitoring recorded data, they are able to recall that data from storage and scrutinize someone's personal life.

Quote Originally Posted by Neuru View Post
    Haha, just wait until Google Glass is widespread, that'll open up a whole new level of this.
    NSA or something akin to it and big business tapping into Google Glasses may not be as far fetched as it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by lycaeus View Post
    I'd say so.

It is interesting it didn't recognize the Hendrix photo. Was his photo/image not added into the facial recognition system, and or that it was originally an old school film photo before being transferred to digital? Likely the first one, not added into the system.
    Last edited by CasperParks; 06-18-2013 at 08:23 AM.

Old news, RFID ID cards forced on students attending public schools in the United States.

Court ruled in favor of school and government monitoring of students.
    Last edited by CasperParks; 06-18-2013 at 08:42 AM.