Page 4 of 64 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Emerging Surveillance State?

Quote Originally Posted by atmjjc View Post
    Talk about ineptness, Snowden is a high school dropout who passed over the brightest talent in their field to get his job which lasted about 3 months in which the NSA gives this guy the most sensitive top secret classified info of the nation which supposedly could be Superpower game changers in the intelligence arena, so is Snowden a super genius… is our country so stupid…might there be something else going on?
    They did just cancel his passport, though. A little late but, hey!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    They did just cancel his passport, though. A little late but, hey!

That is so funny
    We control matter because we control the mind. Reality is inside the skull.
    ~ George Orwell ‘1984’

Quote Originally Posted by atmjjc View Post
    That is so funny
    I wonder if he knows that all of this goes on his Permanent Record?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I wonder if he knows that all of this goes on his Permanent Record?
    Wouldn't surprise me if hasn't jumped on a private jet to avoid detection. This entire Hong Kong (China) then Russia is rubbing it in the faces of those chasing him. Come-on, Russia and China? Those countries monitor their citizens... What was he thinking? Or was Hong Kong the quickest place to flee?

There must be more going on than we know.

It's not likely connected... Seems weird that report's car blowing up when he was braking a major news story and going under the radar.
    Last edited by CasperParks; 06-24-2013 at 01:31 AM.

The China and Russia thing bothered me to start but I have to assume those were thought out. As the most likely to muddy extradition. He must have known charges would be swift
    If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it? Al Einstein

It now turns out that our "whistle blower" joined the contractor to the NSA intending all the while to gather secret documents and distribute these intending to bring down the NSA and covert secret intelligence programs. Had he gone in there and only encountered what he could not tolerate after working within the NSA, that would be different. He went in as a terrorist, he should suffer the fate of terrorists.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by majicbar View Post
    It now turns out that our "whistle blower" joined the contractor to the NSA intending all the while to gather secret documents and distribute these intending to bring down the NSA and covert secret intelligence programs. Had he gone in there and only encountered what he could not tolerate after working within the NSA, that would be different. He went in as a terrorist, he should suffer the fate of terrorists.
    I would expect the PtB to demonize the man.
    The spin doctors at work.

The abuse revelations don't bother you more?
    What bothers me is the Government says they have done nothing illegal.
    Programs that require immunity/exemption from prosecution for the Telcos to comply with their request have got to be suspect.

Maybe the whistle blower's revelations will help bring the big picture into focus.
    With the Billions in tax $$$ poured into the intelligence agencies, they should be able to do their jobs WITHOUT shredding the 4th amendment rights.

If the current administration can't accomplish this without taking illegal shortcuts, then maybe it is time for a change.
    Change that only public opinion (influenced by the truth these documents have revealed) can accomplish.

Regardless of Mr. Snowden's motivations, without his actions I think the alleged violations would have remained buried, as ever greater indiscretions occurred.
    Did he break the law? Yes. Will he pay a price? Yes. Do I consider him a terrorist? No.
    I am hopeful his actions might result in positive change IRL.

Changes like real oversight for agencies we have granted awesome powers to protect us.
    Powers that appear to have been abused.
    A return to requirements like Probable Cause or Reasonable Suspicion before exercising that power.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definitions_of_terrorism

There is neither an academic nor an international legal consensus regarding the definition of the term "terrorism".[1][2] Various legal systems and government agencies use different definitions of "terrorism". Moreover, the international community has been slow to formulate a universally agreed upon, legally binding definition of this crime. These difficulties arise from the fact that the term "terrorism" is politically and emotionally charged.[3]

The above link examines the issue with some depth. As the article states, " the international community has been slow to formulate a universally agreed upon, legally binding definition of this crime."

I ask what exactly constitutes violence: asymetric warfare is more than armies, war has been evolving ever since the American Revolution, violence in the future must include any action with the consequences by any form of concerted action with the same intentand the same result as one would expect of war.

TERRORISM ....The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

Terrorism
    noun

the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.
    the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization.
    a terroristic method of governing or of resisting a government.

Blog Entries
    The Edward Snowden story sounds fishy but from what I know, he did the right thing. If agencies are spying on innocent people, going through their private stuff, then that's pretty bad. It's like when cops go up to random people and think "I'm pretty sure he;s a suspect" and then go on to harass, search, interrogate and provoke.I don't care if there's some legal workaround with words that makes it seem like they did nothing wrong. I was surprised to see you call him a terrorist as if he was a bad guy. The story's waking some people up a bit. Some people on Facebook are passing along the story who used to mock me years ago for speaking about conspiracies just like that. I don't know how he got those documents if he was only there for 3 months and if this is some sort of staged psyops. I really don't care for laws that are written by incompetent people especially in a tyrannical world like ours so if he broke the law, I say good for him, he did the right thing.

They are gathering information on everybody "just in case" without probable cause...but they can't even track two real terrorists after a couple of notices from the Russians. Someone needs to watch the Watchers and smack them across the knuckles when they get near things they are not allowed to touch.