Thread: The Afterlife - The Science - The Philosophy

The Afterlife - The Science - The Philosophy

The Afterlife - The Science - The Philosophy
    I don't want this thread to degenerate into a religious dick swinging post so please keep it logical and scientific. Edgar Fouche
    Quote Originally Posted by getme View Post
    @Jeremy
    Still, at this point of time the scientific society does not have a definite answer how we are built/created and function, never mind what happens after death. Especially, this referes to brain function, conscious and subconscious(unconscious). What if we are built like computers- our brain is a hard drive, our conscious is RAM and our subconcsious is an operating system. Then we are connected to a super computer(super or collective conscious).
    On the other hand if we look at ourselves as some sort of energy, according to physics we can't disappear but trasform to another form of energy.
    @theJamesrocket
    Practically, everyone who experienced "near death" state, say they are not afraid to die.

Personally, I am always curious, what's behind "the black wall"

I agree and I believe in the mass 'Collective Unconscious' described by Carl Jung. I've had two Near Death Experiences (NDE) in my life, once when I was about 6 and the last when I was 25. I've also had regressive hypnosis. What if the 'Peace' and 'Light' we all experience with a NDE is the entering into the Collective Unconscious? I think most religions started from early humans when someone had a NDE and came back talking about a supreme being in the light. Jung also thought that the Collective Unconscious theory of his explained ghosts, ESP, memories of past lives, precognition, and the experience called Déj* vu, in persons who can tap into the 'Collective Unconscious. Ed Fouche

Collective unconscious is a term of analytical psychology, coined by Carl Jung. It is proposed to be a part of the unconscious mind, expressed in humanity and all life forms with nervous systems, and describes how the structure of the psyche autonomously organizes experience. Jung distinguished the collective unconscious from the personal unconscious, in that the personal unconscious is a personal reservoir of experience unique to each individual, while the collective unconscious collects and organizes those personal experiences in a similar way with each member of a particular species.

"Incisive changes in history are generally attributed exclusively to external causes. It seems to me, however, that external circumstances often serve merely as occasions for a new attitude to life and the world, long prepared in the unconscious, to become manifest. Social, political, and religious conditions affect the collective unconscious in the sense that all those factors which are suppressed by the prevailing views or attitudes in the life of a society gradually accumulate in the collective unconscious and activate its contents. Certain individuals gifted with particularly strong intuition then become aware of the changes going on in it and translate these changes into communicable ideas. The new ideas spread rapidly because parallel changes have been taking place in the unconscious of other people. There is a general readiness to accept the new ideas, although on the other hand they often meet with violent resistance. New ideas are not just the enemies of the old; they also appear as a rule in an extremely unacceptable form."

Jung's definitions

For Jung, “My thesis then, is as follows: in addition to our immediate consciousness, which is of a thoroughly personal nature and which we believe to be the only empirical psyche (even if we tack on the personal unconscious as an appendix), there exists a second psychic system of a collective, universal, and impersonal nature which is identical in all individuals. This collective unconscious does not develop individually but is inherited. It consists of pre-existent forms, the archetypes, which can only become conscious secondarily and which give definite form to certain psychic contents.”.

Jung linked the collective unconscious to 'what Freud called "archaic remnants" - mental forms whose presence cannot be explained by anything in the individual's own life and which seem to be aboriginal, innate, and inherited shapes of the human mind'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_unconscious

Carl Jung was a Swiss psychiatrist and founder of a neopsychoanalytic school of psychology, which he named Analytical Psychology.

Jung's unique and broadly influential approach to psychology has emphasized understanding the psyche through exploring the worlds of dreams, art, mythology, world religion and philosophy. Although he was a theoretical psychologist and practicing clinician for most of his life, much of his life's work was spent exploring other realms, including Eastern and Western philosophy, alchemy, astrology, sociology, as well as literature and the arts.

His most notable contributions include his concept of the psychological archetype, his theory of synchronicity and the collective unconscious - also known as "a reservoir of the experiences of our species."

Jung emphasized the importance of balance and harmony. He cautioned that modern humans rely too heavily on science and logic and would benefit from integrating spirituality and appreciation of the unconscious realm. Jungian ideas are not typically included in curriculum of most major universities' psychology departments, but are occasionally explored in humanities departments.
    Read much more at:
    http://www.crystalinks.com/jung.html

http://www.alienscientist.com/forum/...-Does-it-exist

In my view, Carl Jung has helped to usher in the post-Cartesian era that we live in today in regards to the emerging scientific paradigm that our physical reality is very much reliant on “consciousness” and not the other way around.
    HTML Code:
    For it is in giving that we receive.
    ~ St. Francis of Assisi

man "would benefit from integrating spirituality and appreciation of the unconscious realm. "
    Jung would have loved working with the Shamans in South America and the liquid some used called Ayahuasca, which can induce visions.
    The art created by the Shamans is of a land filled with giant serpents and brilliant colors. I can't help but think they are accessing a part of our spiritlife we are not consciously aware of.
    My Dr. died on the table in an ER and after recovering spoke to me of how he floated in a beautiful blue light and at the time was not concerned at all about his wife or family. Just this extraordinary sense of peace and lightness. It was a very short "death" so he did not get to see where he was going/floating, but he was very happy. He said he would never fear death again.

The only way we will ever make any headway in this field is to remain totally open minded and follow where the information takes us.
    It may surprise us.