Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Practice Photos of Airborne objects

Blog Entries

Practice Photos of Airborne objects

If I ever encounter a UFO, I'd probably whip out my Cell phone and use the onboard camera system.

Figure to get a couple of practice shots in, and post them up here.

If anyone can make suggestions for improvement, I'd like to hear them.

My Phone has a 5megapixal camera and video system, with a 4x digital zoom.

I encourage others to snap a shot or two with the camera you are most likely to use to capture an unknown. Start with an IFO. Improve the odds should a UFO cross your path.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    Practice pic1
    IMG_20130908_073028.jpg
    Hot air ballon, about 1 city block away, photo taken early morning hours with me facing the east (sunrise is low and behind the object).
    Camera is set to max zoom (digital 4x).
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    Practice pic2
    IMG_20130915_062423b.jpg

This one is tougher to see.
    The horizontal lines are the same power lines seen in the hot air balloon photo (pic1), but without the power pole reference.
    It was taken facing North, I added the arrow later.
    At the time, it was obviously a commercial airliner, but the distance and elevation were unknown (estimate a mile up, and 2-3miles out).
    It was small, about pinky fingernail sized to my untrained eye (a dime held up at arms length would have blocked it from view).

If someone came to you with this as an unknown, would you be able to ID it as an airliner? What can I do, as the man in the street, to improve the odds of a successful examination?
    Attachment 1008

Due to the amount of variables involved, this is an extremely complicated subject. Unfortunately, real world situations usually do not allow all people to have the knowledge, the perfect conditions or the equipment to best photograph an object in the sky. Throw in the short amount of time to react to the situation, the excitement during the experience… therefore, having actual UFO photos is a rare event.

We should all be more knowledgeable with our digital cameras. You mentioned your camera has a 4X digital zoom. It is important to understand the difference between optical zoom and digital zoom.

Optical zoom is when a camera uses the optics to “zoom in” or enlarge an object being photographed. Therefore optical zoom give one the ability to enlarge an object will out losing clarity or sharpness (within the limits of the optics).

Digital zoom is a process where the image is digitally enlarged and cropped. There usually is a loss if image quality with digital zooms (loss of resolution).

Examples:

.....................Optical Zoom.............................................. .....Digital Zoom.............................

M

Mmm, yes, very curious, very interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    Due to the amount of variables involved, this is an extremely complicated subject. Unfortunately, real world situations usually do not allow all people to have the knowledge, the perfect conditions or the equipment to best photograph an object in the sky. Throw in the short amount of time to react to the situation, the excitement during the experience… therefore, having actual UFO photos is a rare event.

We should all be more knowledgeable with our digital cameras. You mentioned your camera has a 4X digital zoom. It is important to understand the difference between optical zoom and digital zoom.

Optical zoom is when a camera uses the optics to “zoom in” or enlarge an object being photographed. Therefore optical zoom give one the ability to enlarge an object will out losing clarity or sharpness (within the limits of the optics).

Digital zoom is a process where the image is digitally enlarged and cropped. There usually is a loss if image quality with digital zooms (loss of resolution).

Examples:

.....................Optical Zoom.............................................. .....Digital Zoom.............................

M
    Marvin,

Thanks for the heads-up on the difference.

Blog Entries
    Early morning hours, glow of pre-sunrise can be seen in the treeline.
    4x digital zoom.
    An airliner with blinking lights.
    Cropped and arrow added later.
    IMG_20130922_061044b.jpg
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    This is a flock of blackbirds flying a few hundred feet away.
    Sadly, I had my camera out because two F16's from the nearby ANG were doing a tight turn and burn right in front of me, but by the time I unlocked my cell phone and loaded the camera app, the only thing left of them was a loud roar, and they disappeared into the distance.

So, there I was, camera app at the ready, as the birds flew by....
    Just an FYI, that is a VERY large flag, whose dimensions could be obtained.
    I imagine a good way to determine size and distance on an unknown.

Sunny early afternoon hours, facing west.
    4x digital zoom
    Cropped and arrows added.

IMG_20130922_120737b.jpg
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Examples:

<snip>

M
    OK, so maybe I will try again WITHOUT the benefit of digital zoom... thanks for the suggestion Marvin.
    Or maybe I discount my cell phone as a realistic tool, and start carrying a "real" camera around?!?! Something with better OPTICAL zoom features. But the thought of running to the car to fetch the camera while hoping the object hangs around, puts a damper on that idea.

I must say, did NOT think it would be so HARD to get a clearly detailed photo. I am SO glad these were not earth shaking images, proof positive of ET tech/life, that left me frustrated because I could not capture a decent image...

Have to see if I can make the time to go down to the local air terminal and hang out at the end of the run way to capture a few aircraft on approach/takeoff. Maybe closer proximity and less digital zoom will yield better results.
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    This thread has me thinking back to the California Drone days.

This photo allegedly taken with a cell phone, by Chad's wife.
    Seems WAY to good to be true, when compared with my attempts.
    And this was with cell phone camera tech from a few years back.

The type of thing I hope to one day catch, but I'm not seeing the technical ability to reproduce the results.... at least not with a cell phone camera.
    A bit off topic, but IMO another point for the "drones were a fraud" viewpoint.

Picture020.jpg
    Attachment 1008

Wink

OK, so maybe I will try again WITHOUT the benefit of digital zoom... thanks for the suggestion Marvin.

Or maybe I discount my cell phone as a realistic tool, and start carrying a "real" camera around?!?! Something with better OPTICAL zoom features. But the thought of running to the car to fetch the camera while hoping the object hangs around, puts a damper on that idea.

I must say, did NOT think it would be so HARD to get a clearly detailed photo. I am SO glad these were not earth shaking images, proof positive of ET tech/life, that left me frustrated because I could not capture a decent image...

Have to see if I can make the time to go down to the local air terminal and hang out at the end of the run way to capture a few aircraft on approach/takeoff. Maybe closer proximity and less digital zoom will yield better results.
    Cell and Smart Phones are putting camera companies out of business. I think cameras will survive this trend, but there will be fewer of them and they will tend to be “higher end” equipment.

There is some impressive camera technology going into phones. Since the everyday person will likely be depending on their phone as their camera… the bulk of the UFO photo will be taken by them.

My concern is that what maybe optimal for taking the best photos may not meet the need for speedy reaction times especially when you have to get the camera ready then add manual focus (which can give you a clearer photo than auto focus). You will likely need to make some compromises along the way since a speedy setup will tend to not give you the highest quality photos, and high quality equipment can give you detailed photos of an empty sky.

M

Mmm, yes, very curious, very interesting...