Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Demise of alienscientist forum?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Demise of alienscientist forum?

Well, just recently something happened to alienscientist forum. Only a few people are able to log in. All the admins are locked out, moderators locked out, members getting messages that other IP addresses are trying to access accounts. I don't know if we can recover from that or not. Even the owner cannot access his own forum. I don't know anything about software but there are a number of issues with the software. I don't know if this is the demise or not. I am just going to some of the forums that I have posted on looking maybe for a future home. Unfortunately since I cannot get on I have lost my radiation threads over there along with other members input. So you may see me around from time to time trying to catch up on things and maybe some input here and there.
    A fantastic journey begins with curiosity

Quote Originally Posted by spacemaverick View Post
    Well, just recently something happened to alienscientist forum. Only a few people are able to log in. All the admins are locked out, moderators locked out, members getting messages that other IP addresses are trying to access accounts. I don't know if we can recover from that or not. Even the owner cannot access his own forum. I don't know anything about software but there are a number of issues with the software. I don't know if this is the demise or not. I am just going to some of the forums that I have posted on looking maybe for a future home. Unfortunately since I cannot get on I have lost my radiation threads over there along with other members input. So you may see me around from time to time trying to catch up on things and maybe some input here and there.
    It just doesn't stop, does it.
    I just tried to log in but couldn't either.
    I'll try a password reset, and see if that helps.

UPDATE: even after a password reset, I couldn't get in.

(FWIW, we're getting anywhere between 1 000 and 3 000 spammers / hackers per day trying to get in here, too).

If there's anything I can do, let me know. (I'm familiar with MySQL databases etc.)
    The owner should still have direct access to the MySQL databases, so it should be possible to restore access.
    If the web server is configured to keep activity logs, it should even be possible to trace which IP addresses (and therefore accounts) made the changes.

Edit to add: re your Radiation thread, which one are you referring to? Can't you still access it as a 'guest'?
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Hmm,

I hope that MySQL database (if any are used) are encrypted. Otherwise it would be easy to change the database for user passwords and admins access privileges.
    For every action, there is a corresponding over-reaction. -- Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
    It just doesn't stop, does it.

(FWIW, we're getting anywhere between 1 000 and 3 000 spammers / hackers per day trying to get in here, too.)
    Ouch...

Blog Entries
    Darn shame. I can't log in either, after a single try says "used up your tries, wait 15 min".

Is he locked out of the website Control Panel too?

How about pointing the DNS to another server (web host) and restoring the site from a backup?

Leaving the old server behind.... Last resort type action.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

We were in the process of cleaning up spammers and suddenly got a database error and then everything went crazy. No admins or mods can get on and receive the same message you did Garuda. I can look at my threads, I just can't log on. My IP address along with others are telling other members that they have used up their quota for logins. My IP address is showing I'm in Texas according to an entry but I live in Florida. I have never seen this before in all my days. I can only communicate with one of the members because I have his e-mail address but he does have contact with the admins. I have passed on you all's information in hopes we can get this fixed. I sure do appreciate your input. I don't know all the particulars but I think all the forums are getting hit like this.
    A fantastic journey begins with curiosity

Blog Entries
    I just got in no problem at all?
    We control matter because we control the mind. Reality is inside the skull.
    ~ George Orwell ‘1984’

Quote Originally Posted by atmjjc View Post
    I just got in no problem at all?
    Can you post?

If you can, it may be a good idea - and I'm just thinking out loud here - to ask staff to join here so at least there is a way to get in touch with each other, and even coordinate things.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
    Can you post?

If you can, it may be a good idea - and I'm just thinking out loud here - to ask staff to join here so at least there is a way to get in touch with each other, and even coordinate things.
    I put in the wrong password ... like duh ... got the message I have to wait 15 minutes.

Occasionally I will go to the site but in the past it was so plagued with malware i usually avoid it. Could be a variant of 'crptolocker' without the ransom which could bring in the FBI.
    We control matter because we control the mind. Reality is inside the skull.
    ~ George Orwell ‘1984’

While I can get into the site, it is very slow a balky, I do think it possible that someone has installed some kind of software to corrupt the site. It is a shame. I see today the FBI has taken to getting back at some of the major international hackers. It is about time.

I also have discovered that the site, "Open Minds Forum 2013" is attempting to resurrect the old OMF and has not been able to attract the former forum members. I'll be interested to see if they again attract the same kind of games and trash that killed the old site.