Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Demise of alienscientist forum?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spacemaverick View Post
    I think you are right. We got hit with a lot of spam from China and Russia started and then Eastern Europe.

Can't help but wonder if it might simply be a database error, that a reindex or dbrepair might fix.
    Let's hear it for backups.....

It certainly might be hackers, but never good to jump to conclusions.
    Best wishes for getting the forum back on it's feet soon....
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Database error was the warning I received and then it got worse from there. You may be right Calikid.
    A fantastic journey begins with curiosity

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    Can't help but wonder if it might simply be a database error, that a reindex or dbrepair might fix.
    Let's hear it for backups.....

It certainly might be hackers, but never good to jump to conclusions.
    Best wishes for getting the forum back on it's feet soon....
    I have no problem navigating the sight at all as a visitor, something which hacks do not overlook unless they are farming passwords.

Calikid might be right. It may not be hacks but a database error.
    We control matter because we control the mind. Reality is inside the skull.
    ~ George Orwell ‘1984’

When I tried to create a new account, I got a PHP error about a call to an undefined function, which means the php code has been altered, or files have been erased.

It is possible, though not likely, that this could be a hard disk issue, corrupting both php files and database files.
    (Most ISPs will put the MySQL server and the web server on different machines, as it's easier to secure and usually gives better performance. The chances of hard disks on two servers being corrupted simultaneously, without interference, is not high).
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Blog Entries
    From the site

‘Holovision’ has posted from the site today and yesterday

Post #1 IP address 74.54.218.114

I've been having problems for the last 2 days. Someone at IP address 74.54.218.114 is trying repeatedly to hijack my account. I have been getting several failed login notices in my e-mail and the repeated attempts seems to be password guessing; which uses up the quota of five attempts per time session so I can't sign in with my correct username and password the first time. I have tried several times to reset my password but I am still having trouble logging in to make posts as long as IP address 74.54.218.114 keeps making attempts to access my account.

Apparently there is a period in the morning hours when the attacks on my account stop. In a few hours I might not be able to log in again. Please help.

Post #4 I've finally been able to log in again.

Can we ban IP address 74.54.218.114 or anything else that will prevent future attacks from this malicious person? This person might give up on me and try guessing other users' passwords preventing them from logging in.

Post #5 I'm trying to stay logged in to this forum as long as I can tonight. There's no telling when I'll find the next small time window when that IP address isn't trying to get into my account and using up attempted quotas. It was luck alone that allowed me to log in twice today.

Post #6 I'm still having the problem but the failed login notices seem to have stopped coming in my e-mail. Maybe the server is becoming as frustrated as I am.

Post #7 So far I've received 5 failed login notices in my e-mail today. IP address 74.54.218.114 is still making attempts to access my account. I think it's not just about hijacking my account. After so long I think there's an active attempt to keep me from logging in.

Dear Holovision,
    Someone has tried to log into your account on The Science of Truth Forum with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.
    The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 74.54.218.114
    All the best,
    The Science of Truth Forum
    Who keeps on doing this? It certainly isn't me. I am also starting to think the time limit must be longer than 15 minutes. The main problem is that preventing that person from making more attempts is also preventing me from logging in the first time with the correct password.

Well, after finally hitting the small time window between attacks on my account I might as well stay logged in as long as I can. That's the purpose so technically it's not loitering, right?
    Last edited by atmjjc; 11-07-2013 at 04:54 AM.
    We control matter because we control the mind. Reality is inside the skull.
    ~ George Orwell ‘1984’

That IP address is listed on Barracuda Central as a spammer.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
    That IP address is listed on Barracuda Central as a spammer.
    Garuda there is something really messed up. That IP address is mine and I live in Florida and I am no spammer. The information coming from Barracuda Central is not correct.

DISREGARD THIS.....
    Last edited by spacemaverick; 11-07-2013 at 08:12 AM.

Never mind I had my head in my duffel bag. Mine is slightly different but close. The one you mentioned is out of Houston Texas with the host of paseo.websitewelcome.com
    Last edited by spacemaverick; 11-07-2013 at 08:11 AM.

Rod, please check p.m. Thank you !

Cliff
    Last edited by touched; 11-07-2013 at 10:16 AM.
    Amateur Astronomer/38 years - Cliff-67

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
    When I tried to create a new account, I got a PHP error about a call to an undefined function, which means the php code has been altered, or files have been erased.

It is possible, though not likely, that this could be a hard disk issue, corrupting both php files and database files.
    (Most ISPs will put the MySQL server and the web server on different machines, as it's easier to secure and usually gives better performance. The chances of hard disks on two servers being corrupted simultaneously, without interference, is not high).
    If the "create new user" PHP was unable to connect to MySQL to store the new user PW, would it show a PHP error or a DB error?

Error logs would help....
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008