Thread: [ MIT ] The Visual Microphone : Passive Recovery of Sound from Video

Question [ MIT ] The Visual Microphone : Passive Recovery of Sound from Video

Abstract
    When sound hits an object, it causes small vibrations of the object’s surface. We show how, using only high-speed video of the object, we can extract those minute vibrations and partially recover the sound that produced them, allowing us to turn everyday objects—a glass of water, a potted plant, a box of tissues, or a bag of chips—into visual microphones. We recover sounds from highspeed footage of a variety of objects with different properties, and use both real and simulated data to examine some of the factors that affect our ability to visually recover sound. We evaluate the quality of recovered sounds using intelligibility and SNR metrics and provide input and recovered audio samples for direct comparison. We also explore how to leverage the rolling shutter in regular consumer cameras to recover audio from standard frame-rate videos, and use the spatial resolution of our method to visualize how sound-related vibrations vary over an object’s surface, which we can use to recover the vibration modes of an object.
    Source: http://people.csail.mit.edu/mrub/VisualMic/

Anyone know of any possible applications of this within the study and research of the UFO phenomena?
    For every action, there is a corresponding over-reaction. -- Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Fore View Post
    Source: http://people.csail.mit.edu/mrub/VisualMic/

Anyone know of any possible applications of this within the study and research of the UFO phenomena?
    Thin walled or thin windows might allow us to hear the machinery inside the UFO, but it seems that the UFO-naughts are not talking, but then again if they are addressing abductees it could be a confirmation of what these people are reporting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fore View Post
    Source:

Sounds like they are extracting audio from video only sources. Maybe some old video without sound, say "Alien Autopsy", could yield some audio clues?

added note:
    Possibly isolate and focus on the metal tray next to the bed, measure changes in vibration and convert to audio?

Love to hear what was being said during the filming.

Example.
    Man in Bio suit: Holy cow! Never saw organs like this before!
    or
    Man in Bio suit: Special effects guys really out did themselves this time. Almost looks real, even this closeup.

Could add a whole new dimension to research into old videos.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Seems to me that I remember the Russian KGB using a laser to do the same on our Moscow embassy to hear inside the Ambassador's office. I wonder how the CIA figured that one out: easy fix to use vacuum between multiple panes of glass made to our specs and not those of the KGB.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by majicbar View Post
    Seems to me that I remember the Russian KGB using a laser to do the same on our Moscow embassy to hear inside the Ambassador's office. I wonder how the CIA figured that one out: easy fix to use vacuum between multiple panes of glass made to our specs and not those of the KGB.
    This was bothersome in the 60’s and 70’s when everything from microwave to lasers were used to pick up sensitive information off of walls and windows to hear what you were talking about if you were one of the lucky targeted. Some of the federal buildings even had some type of gadgets built right into the cement in the exterior of their buildings to monitor conversations. Naval intelligence were most of this technology comes from were masters at this sort of technology to track submarines etc. I can only imagine how this type and similar technology has evolved and used in military satellites in today’s world.
    We control matter because we control the mind. Reality is inside the skull.
    ~ George Orwell ‘1984’

Blog Entries
    I think the distinction between the "laser" technology from the 60s is; that was a way to eavesdrop on a live conversation.

This new technology can take a visual recording without an audio track (silent movie, or shot at a distance), and extract audio information anytime after the fact.
    The video can even be shot through sound proof glass.
    This article from CNN may explain it better.

Excerpt:
    The technology is different from laser microphones, which require actively shining a laser light onto a scene in order to measure sound. The MIT researchers are starting with regular video shot in natural light -- what they call a passive technique.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

This give new meaning to that old saying "The Walls Have Ears"...