Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why we never went back to the Moon

Why we never went back to the Moon

Interesting article that focuses on tapes with the conversations between the lunar astronauts and Mission control.

http://in5d.com/this-is-why-we-never...k-to-the-moon/

Short version: somebody else was already there and they didn't want our company.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
    Interesting article that focuses on tapes with the conversations between the lunar astronauts and Mission control.

http://in5d.com/this-is-why-we-never...k-to-the-moon/

Short version: somebody else was already there and they didn't want our company.
    US was back and forth to moon a number of times then we suddenly stopped. It seems the next logical step was to set up a permanent base followed by colony. Why stop? It is a good question.

Quote Originally Posted by CasperParks View Post
    US was back and forth to moon a number of times then we suddenly stopped. It seems the next logical step was to set up a permanent base followed by colony. Why stop? It is a good question.
    The truth is it was Vietnam and the crappy war. It was expensive and Congress was unwilling to spend more money on the Lunar missions given the cost. Hardware existed to fly Apollos 18, 19 and 20, but the operational monies to actually fly them was not appropriated thus ending these missions to the Moon. Crews had even been chosen, so it was the money, the lack of money that was the real reason.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by majicbar View Post
    The truth is it was Vietnam and the crappy war. It was expensive and Congress was unwilling to spend more money on the Lunar missions given the cost. Hardware existed to fly Apollos 18, 19 and 20, but the operational monies to actually fly them was not appropriated thus ending these missions to the Moon. Crews had even been chosen, so it was the money, the lack of money that was the real reason.
    Let the Russians take the lead, like with Sputnik, and $$$ flows.

Once the competition cooled, so did the funding.

In a crazy way I was hoping the recent Chinese moon mission (jade rabbit) would yield great results.

Provide motivation to get NASA back into the space race.

It would be great to return and look for evidence of ET on the moon.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    Let the Russians take the lead, like with Sputnik, and $$$ flows.

Once the competition cooled, so did the funding.

In a crazy way I was hoping the recent Chinese moon mission (jade rabbit) would yield great results.

Provide motivation to get NASA back into the space race.

It would be great to return and look for evidence of ET on the moon.
    I think the best hope is that private firms decide on economic models which bypass the need for government funding. Mining asteroids would seem to be the most profitable and provide a permanent outpost for space travel in the future. Perhaps Ceres will be attractive enough to warrant economic development.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by majicbar View Post
    I think the best hope is that private firms decide on economic models which bypass the need for government funding. Mining asteroids would seem to be the most profitable and provide a permanent outpost for space travel in the future. Perhaps Ceres will be attractive enough to warrant economic development.
    Plenty of H3 on the moon.
    VERY lucrative incentive, more valuable than gold.

If only there were Terrorist on the moon.
    I'm sure the MIC would spare no expense.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

I suggest that, as with most things, there are many layers to the onion.
    Economic reasons would just be the first skin.
    I too have often thought about this question.
    I know something is very off about us not returning....
    I welcome the input.

The next manned moon landing will probably be by a country other than America or a private company, at least that's my prediction. That doesn't necessarily mean that there won't be any involvement by the US government though. How long it'll take will remain to be seen, hopefully it'll be before 2030.
    Last edited by Wally; 04-28-2015 at 09:06 AM.

Space Adventures is sponcering a mission to fly to the moon. As I remember, it was nearly 400 million a piece to go, lol. It's three people to go. It's not landing but one hell of a view.. I'm taking donation for my ride, anyone interested? lol.

Quote Originally Posted by earthman View Post
    Space Adventures is sponcering a mission to fly to the moon. As I remember, it was nearly 400 million a piece to go, lol. It's three people to go. It's not landing but one hell of a view.. I'm taking donation for my ride, anyone interested? lol.
    Set up a GoFundMe account and get some crowdfunding!