Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 Upgrade

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
    Two of my computers got the 1903 update, already. The installation process itself went quite smoothly. On a new laptop, it only took about 20 minutes.
    On one of the two machines 1903 was installed without it ever having installed 1809. (Glad that one got skipped).

No major problems discovered thus far, but as usual it resets your privacy settings and changes some default apps.

Also noteworthy is that the installation went without a glitch in spite of the computer having a USB external drive (which at present Microsoft recommends unplugging before the upgrade installation begins because the upgrade may change the drive letter of the external drive),

Do note that you need at least 32 GB disk space available otherwise the 1903 feature upgrade won't be installed.
    Just wondered if you are running "Insiders Ring" (early/beta release) updates?
    All my systems are running 1809, and the press I've been reading says 1903 not ready for general release (Targeted/bug free, HAHA) until the end of May.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    Just wondered if you are running "Insiders Ring" (early/beta release) updates?
    All my systems are running 1809, and the press I've been reading says 1903 not ready for general release (Targeted/bug free, HAHA) until the end of May.
    Nope, I'm not. Oddly enough, my other two computers are not even finding 1903 yet, when I check for updates.

There was a follow-up that indicated that 1903 is available now, earlier than anticipated.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Blog Entries
    Ready or not, here it comes!

Microsoft’s next major Windows 10 update is now available.

Available on Windows Update for everyone.
    By Tom Warren.

Microsoft is releasing its Windows 10 May 2019 Update to everyone today. The Windows 10 May 2019 Update includes a new light theme for Windows 10, alongside Kaomoji support, a Windows sandbox feature, and the separation of Cortana and Windows search. Microsoft first released this to testers last month, giving the company plenty of time to avoid potential issues. Today marks the official release to all existing Windows 10 users.

Alongside the release, Microsoft is also launching a new Windows release health dashboard that offers status on the rollout and any known issues for the May 2019 Update and other monthly updates.
    Story Continues
    Attachment 1008

This week's MS patches had a unexpected side effect: ccleaner can no longer reset the 'jump lists' in the task bar for office applications.

What am I talking about: if you have, e.g., Word pinned to the task bar, it keeps track of the documents you recently opened: right-click on the Word icon in the task bar and a 'jump list' of recent documents appears.
    Up until now, ccleaner could reset that list.
    But now, the moment you use Word again, all the recent documents that ccleaner had removed reappear in the jump list.
    - Jef Mallett

- Charles Darwin

Blog Entries
    WIN10 Features Update v1903 recently caused me grief at a client's office.
    During the install, it forces McAfee (Endpoint Security, ePO cloud version) to uninstall, or the update terminates.
    So we uninstalled McAfee on 10 PCs and completed the update, planning to reinstall after the update completed.
    Upon completion, McAfee's modules will NOT reinstall.
    Meanwhile, spent a couple hours on the phone with McAfee Tech Support, they remoted into the PC and did a complete removal & attempted reinstall of McAfee. No joy.
    Eventually it was reported that this was a known compatibility issue.
    According to McAfee Tech Support, you must update McAfee to May 2019 AntiVirus version (had to manually download stand alone package ENS 10.6.1) and install on WIN10 PRIOR to running the v1903 update.
    This means rolling WIN10 v1903 back to v1809, installing the updated McAfee, and running the v1903 update AGAIN.
    FYI, the v1903 Features update takes 60-90 minutes to run... on each PC.

Supposedly McAfee is working on a WIN10 v1903 compatible version, that will install without the need to roll back. Should be out in a few weeks. I'm not holding my breath.

NOTE: I ran v1903 update on a system with Norton Security Suite. NO problems.
    Attachment 1008

WIN10 Features Update v1903 - some additional remarks

It uses a new File Explorer which erases any File Explorer settings you had before: views, details / preview pane, etc. are all reset to default.
    When saving a file, it wants to be smart and orders files and folders according to how recently you used them. That is far more of a nuisance than a benefit when you work with several subfolders because now you suddenly have to either remember when you last used that folder or go through the whole list before you find the one you're looking for. You can change it back to normal in the view section, choose 'Group by' and then 'none' to have how it was before.

Also rather annoying is that context menus have been reset, which in my case means that several programs can no longer be launched when right-clicking a document that can be opened with those programs.
    It also removed the 'Command line here' again for folders. (With each upgrade I have to re-add that functionality).
    - Jef Mallett

- Charles Darwin

I don't know whether it was the Win10 upgrade or the latest patches, but on all computers I had to reinstall the Visual C++ runtime library (vcredist-nn.exe).

In retrospect, one computer hasn't upgraded yet to the latest win 10, so the latest patches are the likely culprit.
    - Jef Mallett

- Charles Darwin

My desktop is an iMac thank god for that...I just bought an Asus laptop with Windows 10 the computer is fine I hate Windows 10...Last Windows computer I had ran Vista so that tells you how long it's been.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Origins View Post
    My desktop is an iMac thank god for that...I just bought an Asus laptop with Windows 10 the computer is fine I hate Windows 10...Last Windows computer I had ran Vista so that tells you how long it's been.
    Apple does have good products. But sadly many (most?) people cannot afford the premium monopoly prices they charge.
    Windows computers are a fraction of the price and run in 85% of office environments.
    Not sure of the Android phone share, but guessing it is a big number too.
    Apple is like Lexus or MBZ automobiles.
    Nice if you have the wallet for it, but other alternatives work for much less cashy money.
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
    I don't know whether it was the Win10 upgrade or the latest patches, but on all computers I had to reinstall the Visual C++ runtime library (vcredist-nn.exe).

In retrospect, one computer hasn't upgraded yet to the latest win 10, so the latest patches are the likely culprit.
    It seems the upgrade of the .Net Framework in the latest patch deleted some Virtual C++ libraries.
    - Jef Mallett

- Charles Darwin