Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 Upgrade

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
    This latest update is a complete and utter disaster...

No communication is possible anymore between computers that were part of the same home group, after MS removed the home group... They don't even find each other in the network: "The resource cannot be found."

I don't have a network anymore.

Hate when that happens.
    Possible you were converted to "PUBLIC" network setting, instead of "PRIVATE"?

Did you roll back WIN10 from 1803 to v1709, like i DID?

I did upgrade a network of 3 vanilla HP PC's last week, they did successfully share over the network. Very hit and miss with this "mandatory" MS update.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    Hate when that happens.
    Possible you were converted to "PUBLIC" network setting, instead of "PRIVATE"?

Did you roll back WIN10 from 1803 to v1709, like i DID?

I did upgrade a network of 3 vanilla HP PC's last week, they did successfully share over the network. Very hit and miss with this "mandatory" MS update.
    Well ... things got worse.

The rollback removed the newly installed version of windows, but apparently the upgrade didn't make a backup.
    So when it was time to roll back, there was nothing to roll back to.
    I now have a computer that doesn't have windows on it any more. Literally!!! It just #$%@ removed the windows folder.
    Popped in a Windows DVD, but nothing works to salvage anything. It just wants to format and reinstall...

SO, I would strongly recommend everybody to reactivate the ability to make restore points (which by default is switched off in Win 10) and make a restore point asap!

EDIT TO ADD: after several attempts, the Windows DVD allowed me to reinstall Windows while keeping apps and docs etc.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Blog Entries
    Glad you salvedged your apps and data during the recovery.

Just wondered if you upgraded from 1703? Or 1709? When you had the 1803 failure.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    Glad you salvedged your apps and data during the recovery.

Just wondered if you upgraded from 1703? Or 1709? When you had the 1803 failure.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    From 1709
    - Jef Mallett

- Charles Darwin

The bad news: apparently one also has to disable automatic updates after a rollback... Hours after I reinstalled Windows, it installed the dreaded 1803 again.

The good news: looking around I found advice on Stack Overflow to write a script (with icacls) to reassign permissions to shared folders.
    I wrote a batch file, ran it as admin and after about 10 minutes the network shares were accessible again.
    Doing it manually takes about 1.5 hours per PC.
    - Jef Mallett

- Charles Darwin

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
    The bad news: apparently one also has to disable automatic updates after a rollback... Hours after I reinstalled Windows, it installed the dreaded 1803 again.

The good news: looking around I found advice on Stack Overflow to write a script (with icacls) to reassign permissions to shared folders.
    I wrote a batch file, ran it as admin and after about 10 minutes the network shares were accessible again.
    Doing it manually takes about 1.5 hours per PC.
    Oh my. First thing I did was "Pause" updates.
    But that only buys a 35 day delay. Hopefully time enough for MS to work out the kinks in this "mandatory" update.
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    I've been following these MS Windows experts Podcast, for years.
    Most recent, among other things, deals with trials of WIN10 v1803 update breaking things.

Windows Weekly with Paul Thuorrot
    The first half hour, or so, is very informative.
    One interesting comment Paul made was that the initial update broke a few things on his system, but gradually in the background, updates were installed unannounced, the problems were resolved/repaired.
    Attachment 1008

Today, the laptop was the last to get the update to 1803, and it, too, wouldn't boot properly anymore after the upgrade.
    Thank God I had activated the restore point option again, and this time was able to roll back to the previous version without a problem.
    (After 3 failed boots, it comes to ask what to do. Among the advanced options there is one to restore the previous version).
    So, that makes 3 out of 3 where the PC couldn't boot into Windows after the upgrade.
    - Jef Mallett

- Charles Darwin

Blog Entries
    What a difference a month makes.
    The WIN10PRO v1803 update that completed a month ago (May 2018) with half-dozen errors (and was uninstalled), ran again last night.
    This time, everything ran smoothly with only one of the six errors remaining.
    The TPM is still logging errors in the event log, but for now I have NOT lost any access to encrypted data. Plan to backup and let a few more updates cycle before I make a decision about my next move.

Funny thing, I did notice that System Protection/System Restore points were indeed turned off for all my drives, post-update.
    But during my post-failure roll-back a month ago, I simply went to "Updates" and "View Update History" and "Uninstall Updates" to recover. Worked without any problem. Rolled back so quick didn't even notice disabled feature.
    Meanwhile, I did enable and create a Restore point.

Anyway, probably the next 24hours will tell if another roll backup is necessary.
    Hopefully MS got it right this time.
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    Got around to testing Hyper-V after the v1803 update.
    Still experienced the Network failure when connected to the Network Adapter via External Virtual Switch.
    Through some trial and error, I discovered that the existing Virtual Machines REQUIRED an update to the Configuration Version (failed with v8.2), now on v8.3.
    Would have been nice to see this tidbit of info prior to the update.
    Tested good so far with WIN7PROx64, WIN81PROx64.

Pending test with Server2012R2, 2012CORE, Server2008R2, Linux Mint, Linux Fedora.
    Attachment 1008