Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 Upgrade

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
    Not directly Win10 related, but Microsoft related: this morning I noticed that Office 365 on my computers had been upgraded to Office 2019.
    More Microsoft weirdness.
    Last week one of my client's had Office 2016 upgraded(?) to Office 365 for no apparent reason.
    Had to run "repair" to get Office 2016 back.

The o365 software is a subscription, the o2016 is an outright purchase. Unusual they would co-mingle.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    Guess I'll run right out and become a WIN10 Beta Tester. NOT.

Microsoft re-releases the Windows 10 October 2018 Update, admitting its testing needs to improve
    Microsoft will also launch a campaign to convince customers that its testing procedures will catch future bugs before they have a chance to delay Windows yet again.
    By Mark Hachman

Microsoft said Tuesday that it’s begun slowly releasing the postponed Windows 10 October 2018 Update once again to the general public, having put in place additional “signals” that will allow users to flag instances where data loss might occur.

Not everyone will receive the Windows 10 October 2018 Update, a minor release which was scheduled to begin shipping October 2. Since then, 5.9 million people have downloaded it, according to Microsoft. Microsoft will roll out the update, also known as version 1809, very slowly to its remaining customers. Users will first have to request the update and meet the hardware requirements and check for application compatibility. Even then, only about one percent of users will initially receive it, Microsoft said. The remaining PCs will be updated over the following weeks and months.

“We will offer the October Update to users via Windows Update when data shows your device is ready and will have a great experience,” John Cable, director of program management, Windows servicing and delivery, wrote in a blog post.
    Story Continues
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    Rats. Got the "Reboot to load update" to WIN10 v1809 feature message this morning.
    Maybe if I never reboot, I can skip it?
    At least it appears I did not lose any data during the process.
    Now to go check ALL the default setting, usually RESETs all options during features update.
    WIN10_1809.JPG

================================================== =====================
    First problem.
    When attempting Send/Receive in MS Outlook 2007 (yeah, it's old but it used to work), I am getting "Not Implemented" error.
    I opened Control Panel=>Programs and ran the "Repair" utility.
    Works Ok now.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Attachment 1008

It just doesn't stop.

More problems and workarounds for this latest Windows 'Upgrade': https://www.techrepublic.com/article...d-workarounds/
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Blog Entries
    Went to log in with the "Administrator" account, found it DISABLED post WIN10's v1809 update.
    REALLY glad I had more than one account with admin privileges available.
    Nothing like having an update lock you out of your own system.
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    Another joy. All of my privacy settings were reset to "OFF".
    My webcam and Microphone were unable to be accessed by any programs including Skype, until I re-enable PRIVACY to allow access.
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    More news from Microsoft.
    To be fair, they have been urging us to switch to EDGE.

Microsoft patches Internet Explorer flaw being used to hijack PCs
    It's already being used in targeted attacks.
    By Mariella Moon

Microsoft has rolled out a fix for a zero-day Internet Explorer vulnerability that hackers are already using for targeted attacks. The tech giant didn't elaborate on the scope of those attacks, but it did explain how criminals can use the memory-corruption flaw. Apparently, attackers simply have to get users to visit websites engineered to exploit it -- by sending them links via email, for instance -- in order to hijack their computers. Once attackers gain control of their system, they can install programs, view or even change data, as well as create new accounts with full user rights.
    Story Continues
    Attachment 1008

The dreaded windows 1809 is now being rolled out: https://www.zdnet.com/article/window...matic-rollout/

One of my computers has already started downloading it.
    - Jef Mallett

- Charles Darwin

Blog Entries
    WIN10 1809 installed end of last November (11/22/2018), on my home office system.
    At the time, it corrupted Office 2007 (specifically, post update Outlook 2K7 would not launch) and I had to run an Office Repair Utility to recover.
    The update also disable my Administrator account. Thank goodness I had other existing accounts with Admin privileges.
    Since correcting those problems, it has been running without issues.
    But one of my client's office was all v1803 until last week (1/11/2019), when about 50% of the PCs (20 of 40) did an install of 1809.
    Only 2 had issues.
    One PC lost/corrupted the Computer network credentials during the update.
    Had to remove and re-add the PC to the SERVER2016 domain (Glad i knew a local WIN10 admin PW or I'd have been locked out!!)
    The Second PC stalled mid v1809 update with an error that required McAfee AV be removed (had to involved McAfee Tech Support for a complete de-install, as the WIN10 "Add/Remove" programs did not resolve the issue). Was not a fatal error, simply aborted the update, and tried again later.
    Guessing the rest of the remaining 20 PCs will update soon (MANDATORY Update).
    Attachment 1008

Two of my computers got the 1903 update, already. The installation process itself went quite smoothly. On a new laptop, it only took about 20 minutes.
    On one of the two machines 1903 was installed without it ever having installed 1809. (Glad that one got skipped).

No major problems discovered thus far, but as usual it resets your privacy settings and changes some default apps.

Also noteworthy is that the installation went without a glitch in spite of the computer having a USB external drive (which at present Microsoft recommends unplugging before the upgrade installation begins because the upgrade may change the drive letter of the external drive),

Do note that you need at least 32 GB disk space available otherwise the 1903 feature upgrade won't be installed.
    - Jef Mallett

- Charles Darwin