Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 Upgrade

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
    This morning an extra MS patch was installed, and after rebooting the network configuration was completely messed up.
    It couldn't find other computers in the network, it couldn't find the internet, it couldn't even find the router that it is physically (Ethernet) connected to...
    I ended up having to do a 'network reset'...
    Ah... the joys of MS Windows updates.
    Did you happen to notice the KB #number of this delightful Network Killing update?
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    Microsoft rushes out fix for Internet Explorer zero-day
    Internet Explorer, Microsoft, Operating Systems, Security threats, Vulnerability, Web Browsers, Windows
    Windows users always struggled to live securely with Internet Explorer – and now it’s been superseded in Windows 10, it’s as if they’re now struggling to live securely without it.

Witness this week’s rush by Microsoft to patch two high-priority flaws affecting IE versions 9 to 11, one of which is a zero-day the company says is being exploited in real attacks.

The zero-day (CVE-2019-1367) was reported to Microsoft by Clément Lecigne of Google’s Threat Analysis Group. It’s a remote code execution (RCE) flaw in the browser’s scripting engine that could allow an attacker to:

… install programs; view, change, or delete data; or create new accounts with full user rights.
    Story Continues

The IE patch KB4522016 must be loaded manully.
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    Windows 10 November 2019 Update is now available as more of a service pack

A minor update that’s more like the traditional Windows service pack
    By Tom Warren.

Microsoft is releasing its latest Windows 10 November 2019 Update to devices today. While most of Microsoft’s significant Windows 10 updates usually come with a host of new features, this one is much more like the service packs you’d find with previous versions of Windows. Most of the changes are minor, and you won’t see a lot of them as they’re behind-the-scenes improvements focused on stability, performance, and more.

That doesn’t mean nothing has changed, though. The biggest changes can be found in the improvements that Microsoft is making to the notifications experience in Windows 10.
    Story Continues

Some notes from MS website on obtaining the update.

Much as I'd like to wait, I have clients who have pending onsite visits for updates. Soooo, I loaded it this morning.
    SHows up as "Optional pending update 1909".

Took 1909 (aka 19H2) about 2 minutes to download and install. Network intact. Privacy setting unchanged. Early results; so far, so good.
    Attachment 1008

These Windows 10 updates turn out to be lethal for my Acer laptop. This is the second time that it can't boot after an upgrade.

Thank god, they have a built-in recovery system that automatically uninstalls the latest changes and reverts to the last working boot setup.
    (I.e., it notices that attempts to boot fail, so then it automatically diagnoses and repairs - read uninstalls the latest updates).
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Blog Entries
    I have not personally experienced this WIN10 failure, but a few of the functions associated with it (like local PC search functions being tie to online Microsoft Servers) do sound worrysome.
    There is a particular bad KPxxxxx update referenced associated with BSOD, among other bad things, that I have uninstalled.

Windows 10 Warning: Anger At Microsoft Rises With Serious New Failure.
    By Gordon Kelly.

Windows 10 may now be essential but users new and old have had a rough ride in recent weeks. And it has just gotten a lot worse after a new, high-profile Windows 10 failure has left more questions than answers and some seriously angry users.

The drama began yesterday as Windows 10 users suddenly found that Search was broken with a black bar showing where search results should be, even for those who tried to perform a local search of their files. Breaking with tradition (1,2,3,4,5), Microsoft was fast to act blaming “a temporary server-side issue”. But the explanation instead kicked a hornet’s nest. First, the fix doesn’t work for everyone. Second, and more worryingly, Microsoft’s explanation doesn’t add up and it has prompted serious questions to be asked about how the operating system works and what personal data it is sharing.

Popular Microsoft pundit Woody Leonard led the charge, writing: “If you believe that yesterday’s worldwide crash of Windows 10 Search was caused by a bad third-party fiber provider, I have a bridge to sell you.”

In an open letter to new Windows head Panos Panay, Susan ‘Patch Lady’ Bradley was similarly sceptical, noting that today “we all found out that our local search boxes are somehow dependent on some service working at Microsoft.” She attacked the company for a lack of transparency and gave it a maximum ‘Pinocchio score’ for a lack of trust.
    Story continues
    Attachment 1008

for some reason the first thing i thought of while reading the above post was the toyota 'glitch'. i know for a fact that it affects the computers in land cruisers, and have heard it affects other models as well.

The new April 2020 update patch caused Blue Screens of Death on two of my computers. After rebooting they both worked, but one is now incredibly slow where each application can take some minutes, rather than seconds, to load.
    So, you may want to postpone a week - or longer if you can - to install it until some glitches are fixed.
    - Jef Mallett

- Charles Darwin

Blog Entries
    I ran the April 2020 update KB4535996 (Win10 1909 Cumulative update) this morning
    Took about 11 minutes, for download and install. One single reboot and system was up.
    Checked privacy setting, nothing had changed. Good so far...
    Also got half dozen MS Office updates, successfully installed. Programs still work fine after installation.
    Did not notice any slow down on programs loading up/opening.
    Wonder when WIN10 ver 20H1 is due out? Thought this might be the Spring Features update, but No, still 1909.
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    I ran the April 2020 update KB4535996 (Win10 1909 Cumulative update) this morning
    Took about 11 minutes, for download and install. One single reboot and system was up.
    Checked privacy setting, nothing had changed. Good so far...
    Also got half dozen MS Office updates, successfully installed. Programs still work fine after installation.
    Did not notice any slow down on programs loading up/opening.
    Wonder when WIN10 ver 20H1 is due out? Thought this might be the Spring Features update, but No, still 1909.
    On my Lenovo, it installed without a problem.
    The Acer laptop got stuck in the reboot, then rebooted again and got through.
    The custom built PC got stuck in the reboot, too, but then needed six minutes to reboot. And everything was noticeably slower. Now, after a few more reboots (I switch my PC off when I'm not using it), it seems more or less back to normal.

Win 2004 is available to insiders already, and is expected to gradually be released as an OPTIONAL upgrade from May onward.
    - Jef Mallett

- Charles Darwin

So far I haven't had any noticeable events.

Hopefully cause my system is a bit newer? Its a dell . . . I think I've only had two auto-updates since I've had it, and always shut down after normal use anyhow. (never did that with my other computers over the years, but I do now because I think the were intrusions during sleep modes. Is that possible?)