Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Windows 10 Upgrade

About 25 minutes on each machine, and all went smoothly.

But Microsoft obviously can't count, because it showed the "100%" done after about 5 minutes, and then kept that screen for an additional 20... And it did so for all machines.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

While I didn't really "clock" the upgrade from last night, it did seem like one of the longest I ever had.

But no ill effects noted . . .

FWIW, upgraded one machine to Win 11 23H2, and it went smoothly. Donwloded in minutes, rebooted and installed in less than 10 minutes. And no hiccups thus far.
    (I already had CoPilot after the latest MS patches).
    - Jef Mallett

- Charles Darwin

Today's updates went smoothly. About 10 to 15 minutes.
    - Jef Mallett

- Charles Darwin

Just updated the two Win11 machines. That went fast and without obvious problems. But I did get an alert after rebooting the MalwareBytes real time protection had been switched off. Switching it back on in the program didn't work, but quitting and restarting MalwareBytes solved it.

Edit to add: on the Windows 10 machines, however, it was a different story. One of them took more than an hour!
    - Jef Mallett

- Charles Darwin

March 2024 patches:
    - on two machines (one Win 10, one Win 11) everything went without a flaw, rebooting took about 20 minutes
    - they badly crashed my Win 11 ACER laptop. Rebooted, but blackscreened and froze before loading Windows. Two hard reboots needed (=holding power button for more than 5 seconds).
    - Jef Mallett

- Charles Darwin

I would very strongly suggest NOT installing the current patches yet.

They completely crashed the first PC they started installing upon. I'll probably have to reinstall windows on that one...

UPDATE: if you do install them, UNPLUG ALL NON-ESSENTIAL USB devices first, plug them back in after the update.
    By now, on three computers, windows would not reload during the reboot if USB devices were plugged in.

UPDATE 2: on one PC, it now systematically crashes whenever an external USB hard disk or flash drive is plugged in.

UPDATE 3: nope... One PC doesn't boot into windows anymore at all, and will need to be reinstalled. Even a (wireless) USB mouse freezes another one until unplugged.

UPDATE 4: on all Windows 11 23H2 computers I ended up having to reinstall windows. The culprit seems to be the latest "Cumulative update ..." which is supposed to continue after rebooting but doesn't and prevents booting into regular windows from that point onward. No solutions worked: startup repair etc. Nope.

Windows 10 systems are not affected.
    - Jef Mallett

- Charles Darwin