Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 Upgrade

Yesterday, the 1803 update was installed again on my laptop, and this time it completely killed it...
    It couldn't boot any more.
    Reinstalling windows this time resulted in the install deleting everything that was on it, as it said it could not keep the user files and installed applications.
    It will take me several days again now to completely reinstall everything, and restore all the info from the backups.
    This is the third time they pull this stunt.
    Updates were disabled, and restore points were activated.
    But MS by itself deactivated the restore points and re-enabled automatic updates.

Add to that that today on a different computer, a MS technician decided to remove several programs without my consent to solve a problem that had nothing to do with those programs... Took me hours to fix the damage the MS technician had caused.

Thus far, this year alone, MS updates gone wrong have cost 6 full days of work.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
    Yesterday, the 1803 update was installed again on my laptop, and this time it completely killed it...
    It couldn't boot any more.
    Reinstalling windows this time resulted in the install deleting everything that was on it, as it said it could not keep the user files and installed applications.
    It will take me several days again now to completely reinstall everything, and restore all the info from the backups.
    This is the third time they pull this stunt.
    Updates were disabled, and restore points were activated.
    But MS by itself deactivated the restore points and re-enabled automatic updates.

Add to that that today on a different computer, a MS technician decided to remove several programs without my consent to solve a problem that had nothing to do with those programs... Took me hours to fix the damage the MS technician had caused.

Thus far, this year alone, MS updates gone wrong have cost 6 full days of work.
    Just wondered how old is your laptop?
    Maybe time for an upgrade, something more WIN10 compatible or already installed?
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

It's 3.5 years old. That isn't that old...

But, yes, it's apparently getting time for a replacement.
    - Jef Mallett

- Charles Darwin

Blog Entries
    It's 3.5 years old. That isn't that old...

But, yes, it's apparently getting time for a replacement.
    I know the feeling. My HP Stream 8" tablet tried to update to WIN10 fall of 2017 (v1703?), not much spare room so did not make an "undo".
    Ended up bricking the tablet.
    Solution? Tossed the HP Stream (windows), and bought a Samsung 10" Tablet (Android). Been a much improved experience.
    My laptop is older, still running WIN7Pro, pretty much off the network most of the time.
    My older desktop is running Fedora, I think v28. Linux has also been cranking out a lot of updates (no issues, so far).
    My desktop is 2-1/2years old and took the update after the second try. Running well for now.
    Different times we live in, where we MUST take all updates Microsoft cares to throw at us.
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    New WINDOWS10 update 1809 due out any minute.
    Early adopters are already receiving the update (Windows Insider Program).
    RTM set for end of September
    General distribution October 2018.

Not sure what updates hit my client's SERVER2012R2 yesterday, but it was large.
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    New WINDOWS10 update 1809 due out any minute.
    Early adopters are already receiving the update (Windows Insider Program).
    RTM set for end of September
    General distribution October 2018.

Not sure what updates hit my client's SERVER2012R2 yesterday, but it was large.
    The problems are already starting:
    - incompatible with most intel graphics drivers (intel actually released a new graphics driver yesterday to avoid any problems)
    - and people are warning their Documents folder and all its sub-folders were erased. So make sure you make a backup before installing the 1809 upgrade.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/window...river-warning/
    - Jef Mallett

- Charles Darwin

The problems are already starting:
    - incompatible with most intel graphics drivers (intel actually released a new graphics driver yesterday to avoid any problems)
    - and people are warning their Documents folder and all its sub-folders were erased. So make sure you make a backup before installing the 1809 upgrade.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/window...river-warning/
    The rollout of 1809 has been put on hold until a solution is found for it deleting users' files:
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/micros...-version-1809/
    - Jef Mallett

- Charles Darwin

Microsoft has identified the bug that caused files to be deleted. The fix is being tested, before the upgrades for regular users will resume.
    - Jef Mallett

- Charles Darwin

Blog Entries
    Looks like the roll out for the fix is commencing for Microsoft Insiders (aka early adopters who already successfully installed 1809).
    For those who previously installed the October 2018 Update without incident, Microsoft released the first cumulative update as part of the scheduled Patch Tuesday releases, The update incorporates a few additional fixes, including a remediation for a bug that incorrectly deleted user profiles on systems with a specific Group Policy enabled. More details are available in KB4464330. The cumulative update takes Windows 10 to version 17763.55.
    The problem with the disappearing files was identified:
    Addresses an issue where an incorrect timing calculation may prematurely delete user profiles on devices subject to the "Delete user profiles older than a specified number of day” group policy.
    Attachment 1008

Not directly Win10 related, but Microsoft related: this morning I noticed that Office 365 on my computers had been upgraded to Office 2019.
    - Jef Mallett

- Charles Darwin