Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    Apple does have good products. But sadly many (most?) people cannot afford the premium monopoly prices they charge.
    Windows computers are a fraction of the price and run in 85% of office environments.
    Not sure of the Android phone share, but guessing it is a big number too.
    Apple is like Lexus or MBZ automobiles.
    Nice if you have the wallet for it, but other alternatives work for much less cashy money.
    6 years and never a problem...I cannot count how many Windows machines I went through...And you're right not everyone can afford them. I can't..The one I have was a gracious gift from a relative if not for that I would not have it.

Just a little heads up: after installing the latest patches, two of my computers showed only a black screen for about two minutes after logging in after the required reboot! Then it all worked fine.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
    Just a little heads up: after installing the latest patches, two of my computers showed only a black screen for about two minutes after logging in after the required reboot! Then it all worked fine.
    Looks like an important patch. Zero day exploit announced, and this patch is the fix.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

A few days ago my development server (a WAMP configuration) was updated to Windows 10.1903, too, and all of the traditional problems reared their ugly heads again:
    - all network shares and permissions were erased (I've written scripts to fix those, but because all the permissions have to be applied to all files affected, it still takes hours to run those).
    - default programs were reset to Microsoft programs (that has to be done manually, but as it's all in one place now, goes fairly fast).
    But worse, it seemed the Apache Server and MySQL server no longer worked.
    It turns out that somehow in its infinite wisdom Microsoft had decided to start blocking the ports they use on a local network. It took me a while to figure out that was what was happening. (A 'the connection timed out' error is not very revealing). So I had to add new rules to the firewall.

All in all, this update on this PC alone cost me 4 extra hours of work again, to undo the damage caused by changed settings that didn't need to be changed.
    - Jef Mallett

- Charles Darwin

Blog Entries
    Other known "Windows August 2019 Patch" issues:

Latest Windows 10 update is causing random reboots and can break Visual Basic
    By Georgina Torbet.
    The latest update for Windows 10 is causing a string of issues for users. The update includes patches against two critical vulnerabilities, but it is leading to problems including random reboots and failure to install.

The update was made available on Tuesday this week, as a defense against two remote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities which were “wormable,” meaning they can travel from one infected computer to another. Microsoft disclosed the vulnerabilities and informed users about the patches in a blog post, encouraging users to update their operating systems straight away.

However, some users have run into problems when trying to apply the latest update, and Microsoft has acknowledged that there are “known issues” with the update. Most seriously, “a small number of devices may start up to a black screen during the first logon after installing updates,” which would be worrying for users. However, this issue can be fixed by using Ctrl + Alt + Delete on the black screen and then using the Power button in the bottom right of the screen to select Restart. This should allow the PC to boot normally.

Another big problem with the update is that it can break some Visual Basic applications. “After installing this update, applications that were made using Visual Basic 6 (VB6), macros using Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), and scripts or apps using Visual Basic Scripting Edition (VBScript) may stop responding and you may receive an ‘invalid procedure call error.’,” Microsoft said. There is currently no fix for this problem.

Some users on Reddit have also complained about the update causing random reboots to their systems. Story Continues.
    Attachment 1008

A few days ago my development server (a WAMP configuration) was updated to Windows 10.1903, too, and all of the traditional problems reared their ugly heads again:
    - all network shares and permissions were erased (I've written scripts to fix those, but because all the permissions have to be applied to all files affected, it still takes hours to run those).
    - default programs were reset to Microsoft programs (that has to be done manually, but as it's all in one place now, goes fairly fast).
    But worse, it seemed the Apache Server and MySQL server no longer worked.
    It turns out that somehow in its infinite wisdom Microsoft had decided to start blocking the ports they use on a local network. It took me a while to figure out that was what was happening. (A 'the connection timed out' error is not very revealing). So I had to add new rules to the firewall.

All in all, this update on this PC alone cost me 4 extra hours of work again, to undo the damage caused by changed settings that didn't need to be changed.
    After that, I also discovered that the network / shared printers didn't work anymore. The PC that they were physically connected to same them as online, the others systematically as offline. I had to remove and re-add the printers on each PC.
    - Jef Mallett

- Charles Darwin

Blog Entries
    After that, I also discovered that the network / shared printers didn't work anymore. The PC that they were physically connected to same them as online, the others systematically as offline. I had to remove and re-add the printers on each PC.
    Just wondered if you were a domain or workgroup setup?
    This was a server with a direct connected printer, and all the WIN10 workstations lost access to the print que?
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    Just wondered if you were a domain or workgroup setup?
    This was a server with a direct connected printer, and all the WIN10 workstations lost access to the print que?
    It's a workgroup, where two PCs indeed physically have the printers connected through USB.
    The printers still showed as shared, and were visible on the other computers but wrongly showed them as offline while they were online.
    So nothing could get printed.

Another thing it started doing after upgrading to 1903 is changing the folder with images it shows in a wallpaper slideshow.
    - Jef Mallett

- Charles Darwin

Blog Entries
    On a related note, the latest (Sept 2019) Firefox update just wiped out all my privacy extensions.
    Had to reinstall Privacy Badger, Ghostery, etc.
    And my default search engine was reset to Google, had to change back to DuckDuckGo.
    Attachment 1008

This morning an extra MS patch was installed, and after rebooting the network configuration was completely messed up.
    It couldn't find other computers in the network, it couldn't find the internet, it couldn't even find the router that it is physically (Ethernet) connected to...
    I ended up having to do a 'network reset'...
    - Jef Mallett

- Charles Darwin