Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 Upgrade

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by epo333 View Post
    So far I haven't had any noticeable events.

Hopefully cause my system is a bit newer? Its a dell . . . I think I've only had two auto-updates since I've had it, and always shut down after normal use anyhow. (never did that with my other computers over the years, but I do now because I think the were intrusions during sleep modes. Is that possible?)
    PCs have a feature called Wake on LAN (WOL). Allows remote users to wake your PC from sleep mode to perform maintenance.
    BUT, the feature is generally turned OFF in BIOS by default. You would have to turn it ON. So answer to your question is probably not.

I generally power down at the end of the day. If nothing else to save $$$ on electricity.
    Also, I am not running WiFi, so if I walk away for any period of time (like lunch hour) I simply reach over and unplug my network cable (aka air gap).
    Take that unexpected software updates! LoL.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Wow, wouldn't you know it . . . had a Win10 up-grade when I shut down this more, just powered back up and all is well . . .

Blog Entries
    I see a WIN10 optional update KB4550945 queued up awaiting install (since 4/22/20).
    Anybody install yet? Issues?
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    Hmm... sitting in my pending "Features Update" section right now. May wait a few days before diving in.
    Windows 10 May 2020 update: Everything you need to know

Windows 10 2004 (that's the version number) is now generally available, and should take only minutes to install. Here are all of the new features it includes, and how to download it.
    By Alison DeNisco Rayome
    Microsoft's Windows 10 ($155 at Amazon) May 2020 Update is now generally available to download, with several new features to help with productivity, security and speed. The update -- also known as Windows 10 versions 2004 and 20H1, and formerly referred to as the April 2020 Update -- began rolling out to mainstream users on Wednesday, a day earlier than expected.
    Story Continues
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    I turned loose WIN10 May 2020 update (aka 2020 H1)
    For some reason the download failed, with a message "will try again later".
    Well, next day I get a message "You hardware is not quite ready (compatible device) for this update. Once your device is ready, the update will appear. Nothing for you to do at this time".
    Look at Microsoft, being responsible. LoL.
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    I turned loose WIN10 May 2020 update (aka 2020 H1)
    For some reason the download failed, with a message "will try again later".
    Well, next day I get a message "You hardware is not quite ready (compatible device) for this update. Once your device is ready, the update will appear. Nothing for you to do at this time".
    Look at Microsoft, being responsible. LoL.
    On the first day the update was being rolled out, approx. 10 new bugs were discovered, including that it was incompatible with most Nvidia drivers.
    So, there doing a check first now, if you're among the ones that would be affected by those newly discovered bugs.
    The results was that on my computer the message went from 'feature update available' to the same 'not quite ready yet' from one day to the next.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
    On the first day the update was being rolled out, approx. 10 new bugs were discovered, including that it was incompatible with most Nvidia drivers.
    So, there doing a check first now, if you're among the ones that would be affected by those newly discovered bugs.
    The results was that on my computer the message went from 'feature update available' to the same 'not quite ready yet' from one day to the next.
    Makes sense. Who'd have thought my mainstream zillion Dollar Nvidia GeForce video card, running the latest drivers, would be a problem for Microsoft?
    Attachment 1008

If you can delay today's patches, I'd recommend doing so.

They completely crashed my one computer during installation

I could get it to reboot which then automatically removed the uncompleted patches. 2 hours lost.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Blog Entries
    The WIN10 2004 (Year 2020/4th Month) features update failed on my first try, 6 weeks ago.
    Got the "failed for now, will try again later" error.
    After 6 weeks got tired of waiting and downloaded, then ran the WIN10 Update Assistant.
    First I installed the latest nVidia video driver, and 2 or 3 small WIN10 updates that were pending.
    Took a LONG time to download (and I have fast data connection, must be large d/L), maybe 20-30mins.
    The install process took even longer.
    But completed successfully, system booted and took another 5 mins to complete the update.
    All my privacy setting were intact.
    Only thing out of the ordinary was my "update history". It had been wiped clean.
    So far, after 24 hours, everything is running smoothly.
    Even a few recent problems have disappeared.
    For the past 8 weeks, had overheating CPU shutdowns.
    For the past 8 weeks, had the "jerky mouse syndrome". Clearly a USB issue.
    These problems seems to have been resolved. Joy!
    Attachment 1008

Blog Entries
    Microsoft's Patch Tuesday security update for Windows 10 version 2004 has reportedly broken Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2).

Multiple Windows 10 version 2004 users are reporting they're unable to launch WSL2 after installing Tuesday's security update, detailed in KB4571756. The update pushes Windows 10 2004 up to build number 19041.508.

Multiple Windows 10 version 2004 users are reporting they're unable to launch WSL2 after installing Tuesday's security update, detailed in KB4571756. The update pushes Windows 10 2004 up to build number 19041.508.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows...CAD-03-10abf6j
    We control matter because we control the mind. Reality is inside the skull.
    ~ George Orwell ‘1984’