Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    WIN10 updates.
    I did find a setting that kind of shocked me.
    Seems that updates are no longer voluntary, you MUST install updates.
    But that is not the shocking part.
    The updates section had 3 options.

1) Update your computer. (Like always. But now without an option to ask first, or to ignore).

2) Update your computer, save the updates on your computer and allow all the computers on your LAN to access the update files directly from your system.

3) This was the DEFAULT. Update your computer, save the updates on your computer and allow all the computers on your LAN AND ANYONE ON THE INTERNETto access the update files directly from your system.

Playa please, like I need my bandwidth crushed by strangers updating Windows over my PAID connection.

See this article to change the default. Turn it OFF! Do it now!
    http://www.notebookreview.com/howto/...in-windows-10/
    I find it odd, that the "free upgrade" matches moving of gathering Meta Data from NSA to corporations.

Blog Entries
    Some of the things that DID work after the upgrade:
    Login still valid
    Dual monitors work
    RAT is OK
    RDP still works
    McAfee still works
    RAID drives still work
    HYPER-V (I have about 15 virtual systems) still works
    Office still works (died during the WIN7 to WIN8 upgrade, but no problem this time)
    Print to LAN printer still works
    Canon Flatbed Scanner required driver upgrade, but works.

All in all, the upgrade was was pretty painless. Been about a week now, and not many glitches to complain about.... so far.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Windows 10 Anniversary Edition

As you probably know, since 2 August Microsoft started rolling out the newest version of Windows 10, called the Anniversary Edition.

Just as a heads up, again it destroys all network shares on each computer it is installed on.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Blog Entries
    The WIN10 Anniversary Edition, mentioned earlier, was rolled out to us "non-Preview build/non-early adopter" users this month.

I came into my home office yesterday morning to discover the message SURPRISE! "Your WIN10PRO system has been upgraded to build 1609, please re-start system to complete upgrade".

Ok, a not so quick reboot (spinning wheel) and everything looks good.... EXCEPT my Trusted Platform Module (TPM) is no longer working. All my encrypted business files were now inaccessible.
    To Microsoft's credit, there was a "Click here to chat with support" button.
    Tech logged in remotely (using w3.123rescue.com), and after confusing not working TPM for not working MOUSE , tried to fix the problem. No JOY.
    He then said "guess the update is not compatible with your system", rolled back the update, and vanished.
    Fortunately my TPM came back to life.
    Now I have to wonder what is stopping MS from force feeding my system this update a second time?
    WINDOWS10, never a dull moment.
    Attachment 1008

Banned
    The WIN10 Anniversary Edition, mentioned earlier, was rolled out to us "non-Preview build/non-early adopter" users this month.

I came into my home office yesterday morning to discover the message SURPRISE! "Your WIN10PRO system has been upgraded to build 1609, please re-start system to complete upgrade".

Ok, a not so quick reboot (spinning wheel) and everything looks good.... EXCEPT my Trusted Platform Module (TPM) is no longer working. All my encrypted business files were now inaccessible.
    To Microsoft's credit, there was a "Click here to chat with support" button.
    Tech logged in remotely (using w3.123rescue.com), and after confusing not working TPM for not working MOUSE , tried to fix the problem. No JOY.
    He then said "guess the update is not compatible with your system", rolled back the update, and vanished.
    Fortunately my TPM came back to life.
    Now I have to wonder what is stopping MS from force feeding my system this update a second time?
    WINDOWS10, never a dull moment.
    I think you can safely say; this was a "bad hair day"! Don't you just love MS! I still hide under my Win7 OS and loving it.

Thanks, All, for this wonderfully detailed and useful information. While business requires my using up-to-date OS to interface reliably with the latest Gov software etc., at home I rigidly stick to Win 7 which I have enjoyed since the first week and found it to be very stable and user-friendly.

Ditto on that one Doc!
    Last edited by A99; 01-27-2017 at 06:16 PM.
    HTML Code:
    For it is in giving that we receive.
    ~ St. Francis of Assisi

Another thing that has been happening now in every monthly update is that it makes changes to the BIOS. In my case, each time it switches off virtualization, which I use for Virtualbox to run 64bit versions of Linux. So every month, I have to go into the BIOS again to reactivate it after patch Tuesday.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
    Another thing that has been happening now in every monthly update is that it makes changes to the BIOS. In my case, each time it switches off virtualization, which I use for Virtualbox to run 64bit versions of Linux. So every month, I have to go into the BIOS again to reactivate it after patch Tuesday.
    You are correct.
    I did notice VT-D had been disabled, but I did not associate it with the update.
    I too had to re-enable in BIOS, for my Hyper-V sessions.

To busy fighting with UEFI boot, in an attempt to get my new TPM v2 fully operational. Incorrectly assumed one of the UEFI setting had made the change.

Thanks for the heads up Garuda.
    Attachment 1008

Maybe the MS haters hawking Linux and Libre Office are onto something.
    I ditched microsoft a couple of years ago for Ubuntu after trying it out on a dual boot system, I don't run any fancy software & it works fine.(all kinds of software is available & for free mainly)

You save money on antivirus software & the like too, because all malware is aimed at windows users !

The main reason I ditched MS was that it was too bulky & demanding for my laptop, which created all kinds of problems that the lighter free operating systems don't.

A lot of folks who move to free operating systems prefer Linux Mint because the appearance is more akin to windows, but I found it to be more awkward to use than Ubuntu.

(you don't need to be an IT geek or programmer to use it either )

The simpler range of options on things which are the actual options you need rather than the overload of options offered for the simplest of tasks on windows is a plus too.