Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Latest Curiosity on Mars

Fossilized type of starfish from an ancient ocean that is now dry?

martian monster crab image is not a take me to your leader header

nasa - and the public in general - appear to be confused with the objective of the mission to mars

evidence of life on mars includes 1-active biological specimens 2-ruins of ancient extraterrestrial civilizations

past and present evidence indicate positive returns on both counts

question is: what are the implications of each category

while the general public works out the meaning of each find another issue needs to be considered

3-would it be wise to send a canister containing terrestrial plant seeds to mars

preferably the seeds should be planted in the hellas basin which is substantially deep with a relatively higher atmospheric pressure than surrounding terrain

hellas basin would also be well endowed with water making germination possible

there are other theoretical experiments which may be conducted to gather more data on the dynamics of biological systems

such experiments may be conducted in an enclosed laboratory environment on earth
    Last edited by aquila; 09-03-2015 at 05:59 PM.

Possible UFO in skies above Curiosity rover. http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-ima...HAZ00313M_.JPG From the official archive the question becomes what is this? Saved in jpeg format, is there any hope of actual raw data? Looking at the images more closely it appears that the image may be both raw and processed to jpeg for storage and transmission. My best guess would be that it is dust that dropped off after this particular image was made. The steroeo pair image is posted with the same time listed for both images in the archive, but my understanding is that the images are sequential and not stereo in the instantaneous sense. Here is the other image of the pair: http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-ima...HAZ00313M_.JPG
    Last edited by majicbar; 12-12-2015 at 06:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by majicbar View Post
    Possible UFO in skies above Curiosity rover. http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-ima...HAZ00313M_.JPG From the official archive the question becomes what is this? Saved in jpeg format, is there any hope of actual raw data? Looking at the images more closely it appears that the image may be both raw and processed to jpeg for storage and transmission. My best guess would be that it is dust that dropped off after this particular image was made. The steroeo pair image is posted with the same time listed for both images in the archive, but my understanding is that the images are sequential and not stereo in the instantaneous sense. Here is the other image of the pair: http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-ima...HAZ00313M_.JPG

Majicbar, there are objects in the second photo (which are not in the first photo) in which you posted a link (objects circled in red):

They are below the horizon (to the right of the object in the first photo of the "flying object") and can escape easy detection. It appears they are not too uncommon (under the right conditions) and are likely windblown debris.

M

Mmm, yes, very curious, very interesting...

Has anyone noticed that the rock layers appear like those on earth laid down in ancient oceans ? Let's face it, that planet had a heck of a lot water on it at one time and lost it due to an exceptional occurrence.
    Last edited by southerncross; 06-25-2016 at 04:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by southerncross View Post
    Has anyone noticed that the rock layers appear like those on earth laid down in ancient oceans ? Let's face it, that planet had a heck of a lot water on it at one time and lost it due to an exceptional occurrence.
    Possibly what most likely happened on Venus possibly happened to Mars?

Wonder if this could happen to earth? http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?t=36069
    We control matter because we control the mind. Reality is inside the skull.
    ~ George Orwell ‘1984’

what probably occured on mars is a cataclysmic impact eons ago excavating what is identified today as hellas basin.

at that time the northern plains of mars must have been covered by a frozen ocean of water which thawed partially during the brief summer season. this would explain the layering on bedrock.

the impact which excavated the hellas basin also left a memoir directly opposite on the other side of the martian datum - the tharsis highland with its numerous volcanoes and disturbed terrain. the mechanism which built the tharsis highland was similar to that which produced the jumbled terrain opposite the caloris basin on mercury.

the tharsis rise must basically be the jumbled terrain remnant caused by the hellas impact. lava flows probably covered most of the initial chaotic landscape built up after the impact.

where did all of the water go.

it probably boiled away furiously immediately after the impact and ended up raining on the earth.

for forty days..

and forty nights.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aquila View Post
    what probably occured on mars is a cataclysmic impact eons ago excavating what is identified today as hellas basin.

at that time the northern plains of mars must have been covered by a frozen ocean of water which thawed partially during the brief summer season. this would explain the layering on bedrock.

the impact which excavated the hellas basin also left a memoir directly opposite on the other side of the martian datum - the tharsis highland with its numerous volcanoes and disturbed terrain. the mechanism which built the tharsis highland was similar to that which produced the jumbled terrain opposite the caloris basin on mercury.

the tharsis rise must basically be the jumbled terrain remnant caused by the hellas impact. lava flows probably covered most of the initial chaotic landscape built up after the impact.

where did all of the water go.

it probably boiled away furiously immediately after the impact and ended up raining on the earth.

for forty days..

and forty nights.
    Where did the water go?
    Best theory I've heard is that Mars molten iron core cooled/hardened (much faster than Earth due to smaller size) causing the loss of the magnetosphere.
    Without that protective shielding, the solar winds bombarded the atmosphere and surface, blasting away all liquids and gases. Leaving the desolate landscape we see today.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by majicbar View Post
    Marvin the detail inset in your post looks like someone has enhanced it by CGI, according to posts on another website.

https://www.metabunk.org/claim-rock-...-fossil.t6668/

When the actual original archive image from JPL/NASA is enlarged, it is mostly an indistinct blur. Another odd thing is that someone has put the notion out there that this image was taken this July, however when I noticed that the "sol date" was 710 in the header of the image URL, that this image was much older, the real image was taken 8-05-2014, over a year ago. I also noticed that this is a mast camera image, so I went to the JPL/NASA archive to see the original. http://mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/ looking at the archive for the mastcam I went to sol 710. The images of this area show up three times, it is about 60% down the page, and the object in question is at the 7:30 direction from the snout of what looks like "Jaws" on the crest of the ridge above it. There really isn't much detail in there, no wonder someone was able to tamper with it. Now I have to say there is nothing really there unless they go back and detail it in new images and it is shown to be something strange.
    Hi everyone, this is my first post as a newbie to the forum.

I've been studying the Martian surface for about 4 years now using mainly the MRO images and occasionally the ESA images and wanted to post some comments on this Curiosity image.

I noticed the guys over at Metabunk got their teeth into it and came up with their usual "oh it's just another pareidolia image" - standard release from those guys without really taking a closer look especially in the color spectrum.

Using the "one click" automatic color adjustment tool in Irfanview, we can easily bring the image back into its "true Mars colors" (or close to it) and when we do, we notice that the color or hue of the target data point (the anomaly) does not acquire the colors of the surrounding rock strata! This is important as it shows a comparison of the juxtaposition material compositions and as we can see, the material of the anomaly is strikingly different. The area is quite protected so I'm pretty sure the anomaly is not a pile of sand creeping up the wall.

As is from NASA

[/URL]

Corrected color
    [/URL]

Magnified to data point

The anomaly is possibly a marker of sorts to be seen from afar. My guess is, that he real target is not the anomaly but the liquid (now a residue) which had been pouring from the orifice in the rock to the right.

[/URL]

[/URL]

The rocky outcrop image has given cause for concern for the "secret keepers" however, hence the over saturated use of Jpeg artifacts which essential blurs the damming evidence. The initial interest in this hillside came when the ridge at the top showed some telltale signs of responsible regional inhabitants.

Using the raw image files of both the left and right mast cam, I was able to produce this pretty effective 3D image file which gave a far better analysis of the very top left ridgeline.

[/URL]

Great first post M-Albion-3D, lots of unanswered questions regarding Mars and NASA's secret keeping . . .

. . .

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    Where did the water go?
    Best theory I've heard is that Mars molten iron core cooled/hardened (much faster than Earth due to smaller size) causing the loss of the magnetosphere.
    Without that protective shielding, the solar winds bombarded the atmosphere and surface, blasting away all liquids and gases. Leaving the desolate landscape we see today.
    Perhaps there is still (salt) water there ...

Curiosity Rover’s Proximity To Possible Water Raises Planetary Protection Concerns
    Article Updated: 9 Sep , 2016
    by Matt Williams

After four years on Mars, the Curiosity rover has made some pretty impressive discoveries. These have ranged from characterizing what Mars’ atmosphere was like billions of years ago to discovering organic molecules and methane there today. But arguably the biggest discovery Curiosity has made has been uncovering evidence of warm, flowing water on Mars’ surface.

Unfortunately, now faced with what could be signs of water directly in its path, NASA is forced to enact strict protocols. These signs take the form of dark streaks that have been observed along the sloping terrain of Aeolis Mons (aka. Mount Sharp), which the rover has been preparing to climb. In order to prevent contamination, the rover must avoid any contact with them, which could mean a serious diversion.

more:

http://www.universetoday.com/130698/...tion-concerns/
    Last edited by epo333; 09-10-2016 at 03:24 PM.