Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Latest Curiosity on Mars

Latest Curiosity on Mars

Quote Originally Posted by southerncross View Post

I don't have a clue...!
    However I went to the original NASA link, and found another "anomaly" straight up" (12 o'clock) about 6 or 7 body lengths from the one featured.

Looks like 5 legs or whatever sticking out of a center point...?

Sure is strange stuff!!!

That is weird, almost like petrified roots.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by southerncross View Post
    Talked about this a little bit in the Astronomy thread last week. Very bizarre.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Of all of the "looks like" Mars photos, this is one of the most intriguing! It just might be a oddly formed rock… but, is anyone interested in a fossil hunt?

M

Mmm, yes, very curious, very interesting...

Like to "crab" photo:

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-ima...01E01_DXXX.jpg

Link to a close up:

M

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    Of all of the "looks like" Mars photos, this is one of the most intriguing! It just might be an oddly formed rock… but, is anyone interested in a fossil hunt?

M
    I love geology: there are times when I've found some odd things in deposits along riverbanks in sandstone and limestone strata. All these unusual things had a direct connection to lifeforms, almost always plant based. I can not imagine in a sterile environment, which they say Mars has had for billions of years, what could have developed this formation. It might be that they are wrong about Mars having a sterile history. This might be really worth of a closer look, either now or in the future. (Thanks to Marvin for including the link to authentic source of the image.)

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    Like to "crab" photo:

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-ima...01E01_DXXX.jpg

Link to a close up:

M
    Marvin the detail inset in your post looks like someone has enhanced it by CGI, according to posts on another website.

https://www.metabunk.org/claim-rock-...-fossil.t6668/

When the actual original archive image from JPL/NASA is enlarged, it is mostly an indistinct blur. Another odd thing is that someone has put the notion out there that this image was taken this July, however when I noticed that the "sol date" was 710 in the header of the image URL, that this image was much older, the real image was taken 8-05-2014, over a year ago. I also noticed that this is a mast camera image, so I went to the JPL/NASA archive to see the original. http://mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/ looking at the archive for the mastcam I went to sol 710. The images of this area show up three times, it is about 60% down the page, and the object in question is at the 7:30 direction from the snout of what looks like "Jaws" on the crest of the ridge above it. There really isn't much detail in there, no wonder someone was able to tamper with it. Now I have to say there is nothing really there unless they go back and detail it in new images and it is shown to be something strange.
    Last edited by majicbar; 08-14-2015 at 01:06 PM.

Yes, it looks like someone cleaned up an enlarged image... but it appears to show what is really there (without "adding" to it).

M

I think we'll need the extra large bottle of Nix!