Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible UFO in NASA archive image

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    I am not sure this is actually an object in the photo:

We are looking at frame AS17-147-22470.

Just to add, according to the Apollo 17 Lunar Surface Journal (https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a17/a17.fam-mtn.html and https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a17/images17.html#MagA), the photo is a Pre-EVA window pan taken by Jack Schmitt. This opens the possibility that we are seeing a reflection on the window from the inside of the LM (which would explain why the "object" appears to be "dim).

The colors filling the squares around the three lights are digital noise in the Jpeg... the squares seen in the enhanced photo are themselves Jpeg artifacts (which are not in the original photo, which was shot with film [not a digital photo]).

M

Mmm, yes, very curious, very interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by southerncross View Post
    In the 1972 video it appears to be tumbling or spinning.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GcWAZso96Ds

Boy does this guy have it wrong! The image was taken from inside the Command Module not the Lunar Module. The most likely explanation is that the lights in the Command Module were turned down to make viewing of the Lunar Module out of the windows easier to see, light from outside was reflected by something inside the Command Module and reflected again off the window making it look like the lights were from an object outside the Command Module and below and behind the Lunar Module.

We have two different image discussions here. One from the surface of the Moon, another from lunar orbit. To me, the one from the lunar durface is more interesting as an explanation for it eludes me at this point, where I have seen similar false objects from the Command Module before.

Quote Originally Posted by majicbar View Post
    Boy does this guy have it wrong! The image was taken from inside the Command Module not the Lunar Module. The most likely explanation is that the lights in the Command Module were turned down to make viewing of the Lunar Module out of the windows easier to see, light from outside was reflected by something inside the Command Module and reflected again off the window making it look like the lights were from an object outside the Command Module and below and behind the Lunar Module.
    Now that sounds like a very likely explanation for this. The only things I can think of that might be "floating around" would be a space pen(ink) or perhaps eyeglasses...?

Quote Originally Posted by epo333 View Post
    Now that sounds like a very likely explanation for this. The only things I can think of that might be "floating around" would be a space pen(ink) or perhaps eyeglasses...?
    Eyeglasses or sunglasses would seem to be the most likely, maybe with more study we will get some more clues. Minimal interior lighting would be used in undocking but their would be a few left on for orientation and minimal activity, maybe this will help see if there is a pattern from reflection on free floating glasses.
    Last edited by majicbar; 10-16-2015 at 12:47 AM.