Thread: New Theory: Alien life Once Plentiful, has all Died Out

New Theory: Alien life Once Plentiful, has all Died Out

They WERE out there: Experts claim the universe is 'littered with dead alien civilisations'

ALIEN life was once plentiful across the universe but we will never make contact with any because they've all died out - a new theory suggests.
    Scientists believe that space may have been populated by a vast number of alien communities in the past after analysis showed that as many as one fifth of all stars are orbited by planets that could sustain life.The scientists behind this theory are Adam Frank and Woodruff Sullivan, who work at the astronomy department and astrobiology program at the University of Washington...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...lisations.html

HTML Code:
    For it is in giving that we receive.
    ~ St. Francis of Assisi

Blog Entries
    Reminds me of a paper written in 1973 by John Ball of MIT.
    "ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence: Where is everybody?"
    Series of lectures in early 1980s (based on the paper), caught my attention.
    Such topics as "Zoo Hypothesis" and my personal favorite "Ants in the jungle", casting humans as unable to perceive ETI.
    New theory? Maybe. But same old GOOD question.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Something else to consider is that if a civilization has the ability to travel the vast distances between stars they most likely use some other form of communication other than simple radio waves. And would the radio waves from our broadcast even be strong enough to be detectable over the multiple light year distance between stars?

On a related note here is a link:
    http://astrobiology.com/2016/04/are-...niqueness.html

Blog Entries
    We go from thinking(mainstream that is) there is no other life out there. To, oh yeah there was lots of life out there but there isn't any left. I'm like, .................................................. ..................... uh................................................ ..seriously?

Edward

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Something else to consider is that if a civilization has the ability to travel the vast distances between stars they most likely use some other form of communication other than simple radio waves. And would the radio waves from our broadcast even be strong enough to be detectable over the multiple light year distance between stars?

On a related note here is a link:
    http://astrobiology.com/2016/04/are-...niqueness.html
    I remember a broadcast interview with a SETI offical some years ago.
    To my recollection, it was Seth Shostak, and he made two points addressing your questions.
    1) Radio waves are uniquely suited for interstellar communication. Radio waves cut right through interstellar dust, unlike other (ie light based) modes. Thus, the tremendous success of Radio Astronomy.
    2) While it is likely an advanced civilization may have moved beyond radio as a main stay, SETI remains hopefully that E.T. has pulled the old Boy Scout version of a communications systems from the closet in THEIR search.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    I remember a broadcast interview with a SETI offical some years ago that addressed these points.
    To my recollection, it was Seth Shostak. He made two points addressing your questions.
    1) Radio waves are uniquely suited for interstellar communication. Radio waves cut right through interstellar dust, unlike other (ie light based) modes. Thus, the tremendous success of Radio Astronomy.
    2) While it is likely an advanced civilization may have moved beyond radio as a main stay, we are hopefully that E.T. has pulled the old Boy Scout version of communications systems from the closet in THEIR search.
    Agreed that advanced civilizations would have likely searched for and monitored radio waves.

We could surmise that the reason why they are not responding to our radio signals is because they are hostiles and prefer to operate covertly.

Or they believe that humanity is not ready to emotionally handle any direct contact with them; hence the silence. Not surprising given the primitive nature of our attempts at contact. That we are using radio signals is a clear indication to them, just how primitive we are.
    Last edited by A99; 05-02-2016 at 02:27 PM.
    HTML Code:
    For it is in giving that we receive.
    ~ St. Francis of Assisi

Blog Entries
    There are a lot of reasons why we have or haven't seen various signals from other Life forms but it can be a muti-facted response predicated on what is and what isn't. And all the subterfuge that may or may not be there.

Edward