Thread: The challenges of Keeping an Open Forum

Blog Entries

The challenges of Keeping an Open Forum

I would like to address this situation in the open. I am not berating and I am not flaming in this following post. So I am with-in the terms of service for posting and posting in the Community Hall aka the Saloon. There was a thread that has been recently locked. It was locked due to:

"This thread is crossing over from "suspected conspiracy" to outright claims of "criminal wrongdoing". Such an activity does not leave room for reasonable discussion, and amounts to Trolling."

"This thread is locked until further notice."

The thread in question was posted in the Conspiracy portion of this Forum. It is titled: Is there a hidden hand secretly ruling our world from behind the scenes?

So just to state the facts, the thread is not about "suspected conspiracy" but Conspiracy as that is what it is Titled as I will show as such.

Forum - Area 51 - Conspiracy - Is there a hidden hand secretly ruling our world from behind the scenes?

So what is Conspiracy? Via the Webster dictionary. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/conspiracy

: a secret plan made by two or more people to do something that is harmful or illegal

: the act of secretly planning to do something that is harmful or illegal

So it says right here that Conspiracy aim is a secret plan to do something Harmful or illegal. Which to get back to the quote from above: "This thread is crossing over from "suspected conspiracy" to outright claims of "criminal wrongdoing". Isn't it one in the same? Criminal wrong doing ie: doing something harmful or illegal hence a conspiracy still being relevant to the thread and topic of discussion???

The to go further on with the latter half of the statement of: "Such an activity does not leave room for reasonable discussion, and amounts to Trolling."

Well yes it does leave room for reasonable discussion. If people find that these "conspiracies" maybe in error they can counter post with a reasonable data that can be left up to the reader as to which is more viable or reasonable in the realm of said discussion of the Conspiracy.

and on to what "amounts to Trolling."

Trolling

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
    In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion,[3] often for their own amusement.

http://www.theoutpostforum.com/tof/s...rms-of-Service
    10. Trolling, Spamming, Cyberbullying and cyberstalking, (as defined below) are prohibited.

- Trolling is when someone posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages, with the intention of a) provoking other users into an emotional response or b) to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.
    ------

Anything that is Conspiracy related is going to be Controversial, and possibly inflammatory depending on a persons particular viewpoint on said Conspiracy. From what I have gathered although I'm not a mod nor an admin. Seemed to be still with-in the realms of the guidelines set forth in Top's ToS agreement. I just think there may have been a misinterpretation and a premature lock of the thread.

Let's continue to have an open forum with discussions of variety that remain with-in topics realm. I know the challenges of keeping the forum in a balance so that everyone is respected. Let's continue to do that as a whole. From Admins and mods down to the members, visitors and lurkers.

Respectfully,

Edward

Blog Entries
    Well Edward, what I can say is that if a member feels the need to jump on a soap box and preach, then they should leave the forum and go start up a website.

Buying into internet speculation is not a substitute for adequate investigation, and should not be presented here as hard facts.

However, if a member wants to engage in healthy debate, that includes tolerance for dissenting opinions and allows for respectful interactions with other members, then this forum is the place and the Terms of Service (ToS) are the guidelines.
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

It's not like the thread was removed, he had his say as did I, Although I think my Mr. Hankey comment was more relevant.
    I thing the mods made a good decision.