Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandela Effect

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    Shazaam? Sounds a lot like a (1996) movie called "Kazaam!", that starred Shaquille O'Neal as the genie.
    Terrible movie, wish I could forget

IMHO, Possible confabulation vs alternate time line. Similar Genie sounding name, famous African-American actor. Not a big leap.
    I know, except that Shaquille and Sinbad don't really look alike, and if you'd asked me who the lead role was, I'd say Sinbad.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    Shazaam? Sounds a lot like a (1996) movie called "Kazaam!", that starred Shaquille O'Neal as the genie.
    Terrible movie, wish I could forget

IMHO, Possible confabulation vs alternate time line. Similar Genie sounding name, famous African-American actor. Not a big leap.
    I agree with you on the confabulation side here... As I remember it Flip Wilson used to say "Shazaam' on his show frequently, which in turn was transferred in many peoples minds to a (what better choice) Sinbad.

Initially I dismissed this as fallible memories fuelled by online woo woo. But Dolly had braces dammit! C3po did not have a silver leg! I would have googled "why" straight away years ago.

Had Ford cars on and off for 20 years, I knew that the Ford logo was based on Henry Ford's signature, but the badge on the front of my present car is wrong!

I think a lot of the minor changes to product labels and such can be put down to miss remembering, but the ones that affect you personally are very profound and quite disconcerting. I've found areas of history where I thought I was well versed having researched them, now have new elements that I can't fathom how I would have missed.

Here's an interesting take on Dolly and her braces: http://dolly.barriereader.co.uk/dolly.html

Quote Originally Posted by whoknows View Post
    I agree with you on the confabulation side here... As I remember it Flip Wilson used to say "Shazaam' on his show frequently, which in turn was transferred in many peoples minds to a (what better choice) Sinbad.
    I lived in Belgium at the time, and never ever saw any Flip Wilson on TV.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by ProblemChild View Post
    Initially I dismissed this as fallible memories fuelled by online woo woo. But Dolly had braces dammit! C3po did not have a silver leg! I would have googled "why" straight away years ago.

Had Ford cars on and off for 20 years, I knew that the Ford logo was based on Henry Ford's signature, but the badge on the front of my present car is wrong!

I think a lot of the minor changes to product labels and such can be put down to miss remembering, but the ones that affect you personally are very profound and quite disconcerting. I've found areas of history where I thought I was well versed having researched them, now have new elements that I can't fathom how I would have missed.

Here's an interesting take on Dolly and her braces: http://dolly.barriereader.co.uk/dolly.html
    Have to say right off I don't discount the "Mandela Effect" and to be honest I was engaging in a small experiment, but, it was an honest one. When I started thinking about the whole Shazaam thing, I couldn't really remember. Thing is during the period times (70's to 90's) in question I just didn't have much time for TV, movies or comics. I just made a statement to see if I could get corroboration for a vague memory. All I really remember is there was someone (seemed like back in the 70's), some comedian, used to say "shazaam" and my best remembrance says it was Flip Wilson. IDK!

Maybe my comment will grow legs and go someplace out on the wider web.? I don't mind being wrong... Some time that brings the best results in the end.

Oh yeah, Dolly did have braces! I remember that with out a doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by whoknows View Post
    Have to say right off I don't discount the "Mandela Effect" and to be honest I was engaging in a small experiment, but, it was an honest one. When I started thinking about the whole Shazaam thing, I couldn't really remember. Thing is during the period times (70's to 90's) in question I just didn't have much time for TV, movies or comics. I just made a statement to see if I could get corroboration for a vague memory. All I really remember is there was someone (seemed like back in the 70's), some comedian, used to say "shazaam" and my best remembrance says it was Flip Wilson. IDK!

Maybe my comment will grow legs and go someplace out on the wider web.? I don't mind being wrong... Some time that brings the best results in the end.

Oh yeah, Dolly did have braces! I remember that with out a doubt!
    Well I know for sure the Gomer Pyle (Jim Neighbors) was saying SHAZAAM on a show about the Marine Corps back in the 60's or 70's. He had a nasty Sargent Carter to deal with . . . I'm sure you could search for a Youtube of Gomer Pyle saying SHAZAAM . . .lol

Guess I could be remembering that show though I thought it was crap from the very first time I saw it and never watched it. I was living in the DF Mexico for most of it's run, but had to have seen enumerable adds for it when it was on and in reruns.

I'll have to go with you on this one... Gomer Pyle
    Last edited by whoknows; 01-07-2017 at 06:45 PM.

The thing about C3PO's silver leg, Could that have been a change made by George Lucas for the enhanced re-releases of the Star Wars films? It's been years since I last saw any of the original trilogy and I have never seen the special edition versions but I do think I had a book at one time showing C3PO with a silver leg. Didn't he get blown apart by a stormtrooper in "The Empire Strikes Back"? Maybe the original brass casing was too badly damaged so they had to get him one of silver or something
    My inner Mulder wants to believe, but my inner Scully remains skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    The thing about C3PO's silver leg, Could that have been a change made by George Lucas for the enhanced re-releases of the Star Wars films? It's been years since I last saw any of the original trilogy and I have never seen the special edition versions but I do think I had a book at one time showing C3PO with a silver leg. Didn't he get blown apart by a stormtrooper in "The Empire Strikes Back"? Maybe the original brass casing was too badly damaged so they had to get him one of silver or something
    That's what I thought, but it's on the first video release of "A new hope" in the first scenes where the storm troopers storm Princess Leia's ship. Also consider how many fans have built replica's of C3PO. With their tenacity for accuracy very few have included the silver leg, even Adam Savage from Mythbusters.

I'm not completely sold but some of the examples bother me: The pyramids, the geography of Australia and New Zealand, the Ford and VW logos.

It's definitely a splinter in the mind. I like the idea of reality being mutable, it would explain a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ProblemChild View Post
    That's what I thought, but it's on the first video release of "A new hope" in the first scenes where the storm troopers storm Princess Leia's ship. Also consider how many fans have built replica's of C3PO. With their tenacity for accuracy very few have included the silver leg, even Adam Savage from Mythbusters.

I'm not completely sold but some of the examples bother me: The pyramids, the geography of Australia and New Zealand, the Ford and VW logos.

It's definitely a splinter in the mind. I like the idea of reality being mutable, it would explain a lot.

Yeah a lot of that stuff I believe to be spurious: the VW for sure, I had 4 of VW's, I know they were all connected on those cars and as I looked around just to day all that I saw were as well. Same with Ford they all looked "normal" to me.

Who knows though, is the red bordering this screen the same color for all of us?

As to the claim that the car JFK was assassinated in was a 4 seat rather than a six stretch limousine is just BS... It was six Gov Connolly and wife were siting in the two middle seats, Connolly took a bullet as well, thought to be one that passed through the Pres.

My question is this, The report of Mandela's death in prison is what I remember as so many others. Thing is how many times has that happened in history. " The report of my death was an exaggeration.” /The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

My own experience leads me to feel that there is truth in the "Mandela effect." The funny thing is another quote comes to mind "Methinks thou dost protest too much." To much seems be being done to discredit.?
    Last edited by whoknows; 01-09-2017 at 08:19 PM.