Thread: MIBs, Albert Bender and Gray Barker - Newsletters from the 1950s (PDFs)

MIBs, Albert Bender and Gray Barker - Newsletters from the 1950s (PDFs)

Albert K Bender and Gray Barker are well known to those interested in the history of tales of the “Men In Black”.

Albert Bender was the founder of the International Flying Saucer Bureau (“IFSB”). The IFSB was one of the first major UFO groups. The article on Wikipedia about Albert Bender says that Bender “mysteriously” shut down the IFSB in 1953. The supposedly “mysterious” circumstances about that closure were heavily promoted by Albert Bender himself and his colleague Gray Barker in the 1950s. Together, they promoted a story about strange Men In Black that supposedly interfered with Bender’s UFO research.

Gray Barker was one of Ufology's many amusing tricksters. Widely acknowledged as a hoaxer that treated ufology as a joke, he created hoaxes with his friend Jim Moseley (editor of the “Saucer Smear” newsletter) and others. Jim Moseley subsequently wrote about those hoaxes and his friendship with Gray Barker in his highly amusing book “Shockingly Close to the Truth! Confessions of a Grave-Robbing Ufologist”.

This weekend, I have uploaded scans of Albert Bender’s newsletter, “Space Review”, recently kindly produced by the AFU in Sweden at my request.

These newsletters are now in the public domain because of a failure to register a renewal of the copyright in these pre-1964 American periodicals.

The newsletters listed below are available to download with a single click from the temporary link below during the next week:
    https://we.tl/cobAjseuOn

Thereafter, or if you only want a single issues, they are also on the AFU’s website at this link:
    http://www.afu.se/Downloads/Magazine...ew%20(Bender)/

Space Review - Volume 1 number 1 - 1952 10
    Space Review - Volume 2 number 1 - 1953 01
    Space Review - Volume 2 number 2 - 1953 04
    Space Review - Volume 2 number 3 - 1953 07
    Space Review - Volume 2 number 4 - 1953 10
    Space Review - Volume 3 number 2 - 1954 04
    Space Review - Volume 3 number 3 - 1954 08

Also, I thought it worth mentioning that Mary Castner of CUFOS in the USA recently made Gray Barker’s “Saucerian” and “Saucerian Bulletin” newsletters available online. (One issue of the former is missing from the CUFOS collection, so I will arrange to get that scanned and supplied to CUFOS shortly):
    http://www.cufos.org/Saucerian/

graybarker1.JPG

Once again, thank you very much!
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    - Charles Darwin

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacKoi View Post
    Albert K Bender and Gray Barker are well known to those interested in the history of tales of the “Men In Black”.

<snip>

Also, I thought it worth mentioning that Mary Castner of CUFOS in the USA recently made Gray Barker’s “Saucerian” and “Saucerian Bulletin” newsletters available online. (One issue of the former is missing from the CUFOS collection, so I will arrange to get that scanned and supplied to CUFOS shortly):
    http://www.cufos.org/Saucerian/

graybarker1.JPG
    "Saucerian" Appears to be a separate collection. Is there another LINK to a single batch download for these Saucerian scans?

And Thank You once again, for providing these valuable historical documents!
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but
    progress. -- Joseph Joubert
    Attachment 1008

Quote Originally Posted by calikid View Post
    Is there another LINK to a single batch download for these Saucerian scans?
    Since the Saucerian scans were uploaded by Mary Castner of CUFOS to the CUFOS website, I felt that I'd be stepping on her toes and being impolite if I created a single batch download for those issues.

(I could create that single batch download in a few minutes, but I think it would only be polite for me to ask Mary if she minds first. I'll send her an email later today).

I don't want to upset anyone.